AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a problem pulling an already installed hdmi cable through the wall. I must have pulled atleast 6 feet of cable out and the other end never moved and it's not that big of a space. It also seemed like the cable got stuck as it was getting harder to pull it through, very strange.

Any ideas on what could be going on?

As you can see in the picture it's not that much wall it needs to run through.

Also I didn't install this cable it was done by the previous owner.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
16,701 Posts
Sounds like the cable got bunched up or stuck around a stud. Does the cable work at all? If you've pulled about 6' of cable and the other end hasn't moved maybe it's not the same cable. Is this a straight thru run or does it come down the wall from the attic space? You can run a conduit down the inside of the wall from the attic space without opening the wall except for where you want to place the utility box, or you may be able to use the existing box..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like the cable got bunched up or stuck around a stud. Does the cable work at all? If you've pulled about 6' of cable and the other end hasn't moved maybe it's not the same cable. Is this a straight thru run or does it come down the wall from the attic space? You can run a conduit down the inside of the wall from the attic space without opening the wall except for where you want to place the utility box, or you may be able to use the existing box..
The cable works fine. Yeah I pulled out about 6' of cable and the other end didn't move an inch. I'm not sure as I didn't install this, it was already there when I moved into the house so I'm not sure if it's a straight thru or not.

·
Registered
16,701 Posts
You might want to take the wall plate off of the end that doesn't move, if it's connected to a wall plate, and check it out. If the cable didn't move then maybe it's attached to a stud or something to keep it in place.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might want to take the wall plate off of the end that doesn't move, if it's connected to a wall plate, and check it out. If the cable didn't move then maybe it's attached to a stud or something to keep it in place.
I will give that a try today when I get home. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
21,386 Posts
Curious... why are you pulling/replacing the existing HDMI cable in the wall that works?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Curious... why are you pulling/replacing the existing HDMI cable in the wall that works?
Great question. I need to run another HDMI cable and an Ethernet cable so I thought the easiest way would be to attach a cable to the end of it and pull it through. Then when that was done I could attach all the cables to that pull it through and have everything I need.

·
Registered
16,701 Posts
Ah ha! Based on your picture, I take it that the cable run is from the bookcase on the right to where the wall mounted tv is? If the cable is not in a conduit, do you know if the cable goes thru a stud or is it just open wall space between the book case and where the tv is mounted? I'm thinking that somewhere in the wall space the cable goes thru a drilled hole in a stud and has gotten crimped behind the stud when you pulled the 6' or so thru. Can you pull the cable from the bookcase side? That may straighten it out so that you can pull it straight thru. It may be possible to run a conduit from the bookcase to the utility box where the tv is connected to. That would make cable pulls SO much easier. I know that a good installer can go from the attic space and down the inside of the wall to install conduit (I had that done in one of my rooms during a remodeling project) without opening the wall so maybe they can do the same horizontally.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it goes from the bookcase to were the TV is mounted. I'm not sure if it goes thru a stud or not, it's possible that it does as this was already done when I moved into the house so I'm not really sure what is going on behind that wall. I can pull it from the bookcase side and will give that a try this weekend. Thanks for the tips and responses and I probably will get an installer out to take a look at it, will save me time and headache since I've already pulled my hair out :)

·
Registered
21,386 Posts
Great question. I need to run another HDMI cable and an Ethernet cable so I thought the easiest way would be to attach a cable to the end of it and pull it through. Then when that was done I could attach all the cables to that pull it through and have everything I need.
Without prior knowledge of how the existing HDMI was run/routed, it's a crapshoot.

As suggested by Otto, if the existing HDMI is run through a stud, it was only large enough for one cable connector. If that's the case, there's no way you can run two HDMI's and a Cat6 cable.

I have two suggestions:
1)go vertical. make new cable runs above up/down or down/up.
2) cut one end off the hdmi cable, attach a few "pull strings" and hope for the best. If the existing HDMI cable comes out with the strings attached, you could get lucky and be able to pull new ones through. If not... you'll have a none functional cable and have to go to suggestion #1 :D

·
Registered
16,701 Posts
+1. Yippers. Go vertical. I know that can be done without wall damage because I've done it (well, the electrician did it but you know what I mean).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
+1. Yippers. Go vertical. I know that can be done without wall damage because I've done it (well, the electrician did it but you know what I mean).
I have some professionals coming out tomorrow to take care of it, I have no more hair to pull out. Thanks for all the suggestions, really appreciate it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well it turns out that the existing HDMI cable that was there was a really long one, so long that it was rolled up and velcroed together and that is why I couldn't pull it through. As the professional said, why in the hell did they use such a long cord :D but it's done and I'm set. Thanks for all the advice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts