AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up a 5.1 surround setup in my 16x17 family room with the following setup and want your recommendations/feedback.

Rear In-ceiling: Polk Audio MC60

Front(L&R) In-wall: Speakercraft MT-6 One

Center In-wall: Speakercraft AIM LCR 1

Subwoofer: Definitive Tech PROSUB 800

Receiver: Pioneer Elite VSX-32

My Questions:

1. I was told that having silk-dome tweeters would definitely enhance sound quality in a hardwood flooring setup. Can you comment on this?

2. The PROSUB 800 also has a downward firing Sub. Can I have the sub placed on the floor(hardwood) or do i need to have a thick carpet underneath the Sub to prevent vibrations?

3. My room is fully hardwood, so is there anything I need to consider while setting this up.

4.Do I need acoustic damping only on the In-ceiling speakers or do I need to have them on all of them.

Thanks in advance for your valuable inputs.

Thanks

Chan

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanpraddy
3. My room is fully hardwood, so is there anything I need to consider while setting this up.
How is it listneing to TV? terrible I imagine, like our living room.......get yourself a rug and as much soft furnishing as you can.....see how that goes, if its still horrible its really, really difficult to fix (in a nice way) unless its a dedicated room

Quote:
2. The PROSUB 800 also has a downward firing Sub. Can I have the sub placed on the floor(hardwood) or do i need to have a thick carpet underneath the Sub to prevent vibrations?
I am about to get a down firing sub as well - everyone is telling me to put a mat under it.....it seems a little daft to me as you need something really thick (like 2 ft) to absorb real low frequencies. The reason might have something to do with a reduction in pressure against the driver? not sure

Quote:
1. I was told that having silk-dome tweeters would definitely enhance sound quality in a hardwood flooring setup. Can you comment on this?
Cant comment on that - sounds like a bit of a crock though, its not like a hardwood floor diffuses sound well. Soft domes decay faster in air generally, they might be saying that the relfections from all the hard surfaces "enhances" the experience - who told you that? a dealer?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.