AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought a new apartment, which is currently being completely renovated, so I have a rare chance to do all sorts of custom install-type things.

Of course one room in the apartment will be a home theater run by my HTPC, but I was thinking about putting in whole-house audio as well. This is possible using RF remotes, but it would mean that you'd have to have lots of different buttons on the remote to say which room/zone you wanted to control, or else lots of different pages (one for each zone) on an Ipaq. Switching between the pages would maybe be a bit too confusing for some household members (no names mentioned here).

To avoid this problem, I was thinking in-wall keypads might be a better approach. Then it's obvious - the keypad in the kitchen controls the kitchen. I know there are lots of expensive systems out there, but I don't want to spend that much money, I want it to be completely based around my HTPC, and it has to be available (or importable) in Sweden (ie 230V).

Anyone out there have this working already? Otherwise any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Do a search in this forum for Audrey. It may offer you the solution you are looking for.

Originally it was designed as a touchscreen appliance, but tigerdirect.com has been selling them for $99 IIRC. To get an ethernet connection you also need to buy a ethernetusb dongle.

Although it was not designed to put in a wall, it should be possible to hack so that you can, especially since you can do custom installation.

People here are looking at using them as touchscreen controllers for their HTPC, but as the Audrey has onboard stereo sound, their is no reason that it couldn't play mp3s locally off of a fileserver.

People are working on various interfaces to make it easy to use. If you know how to use girder, and can also code either vbscript or javascript, then a slick interface should be relatively easy to do.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Disclaimer: this post may not help you at all...

There are a couple of threads that have gone a little dormant that may be of interest to you. People have been working on getting the defunct 3Com Audrey to control their HTPC. With some creativity on your end, you could use it to control zones. The threads are a few pages back and I didn't find them on a quick glance. Just search for Audrey and there should be a good multi-page thread with a lot of info, and another smaller one. I can't answer the 230v concerns or availability of getting it to Sweden, but you might find that info at the one place you can still get Audreys (not much longer though)
  • TigerDirect the place to buy Audrey
  • Audrey Hacking General Audrey info
  • Robert's Audrey Page Good start to seeing what you can do with Audrey and Homeseer. Look at his links, he goes to the Homeseer forum where Pat (sorry Pat, can't think of your last name...) has done a lot of work towards home control through Audrey.

-will

·
Registered
60 Posts
You might want to consider using X10 controllers. Although its not really the intened purpose, I use X10 to control the volume on my stereo. Theres a pluggin for girder ( www.girder.nl ) that can talk to the FireCracker ( http://www.x10.com/firecracker/fc_offer_br1ab.htm ). I personally don't own my apartment, so I'm using these instead: http://www.x10.com/products/offer95.htm. The labels are just paper behind the removable plastic covers, so I just printed up new lables.

The nice thing about this is the large number of controls you can use, there are inwall switches, surface mount RF switches, and remote controls.

-John.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow what a response! The Audrey is very tempting - I checked out those links and considered it quite seriously, but given that it's so very non-supported and non-standard I think I'm going to give it a miss.

I think X10 might be more up my alley - look cheap, very well-supported, they have a Swedish distributor, etc.

JZLink - the link you posted took me to a special for "Ninja Pan'n'Tilt" - was that the link you wanted me to see?

·
Registered
60 Posts
oops... guess x10.com just isn't one of those sites that you can just steal the URL directly from... that was supposed to point to the slimline switches. search for that on their site and you should get right there!

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.