AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have three Yamaha NS-IW960 LCR in-wall speakers that I am finally getting around to installing.

Here is the model:
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/speaker-systems/inwall-inceiling-speakers/ns-iw960/?mode=model

My studs are 16" on center, so the center channel will have to be vertical.

I plan to have a 60" LCD and with that, I have just enough room on the wall to accommodate the L & R channels on each side of the screen but they will be pretty close to the LCD. I could put the C channel below or above the screen. Above the screen would be about 6'5 at center of the speaker, or beneath the screen maybe ear-level when seated.

Would I be better putting all the speakers at the same height, either above or below the screen? This would give me a little more flexibility if I wish to have a larger flat panel down the road. -or- Would the audio experience be significantly better with the L&R to the sides and C being the only one below or above?

Thanks for any input you have.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
Dolby Labs recommends speakers (really the tweeters) at "seated ear level". Mount all three of your speakers in the vertical configuration and pick the arrangement that makes the least compromise from the Dolby suggested layout.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I would put the speaker below the screen so that it will be roughly at ear level. However, be careful not to make the screen too high or you may suffer neck pain watching it. If you need to mount the center speaker above the screen, perhaps you can find a speaker that allows you to angle it down to point at your ears. Some in walls allow you to angle the tweeter, or you could consider building the angle into the wall or using an on wall speaker that would allow you to angle the whole speaker.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.