AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a floorplan that either eliminates on-wall rear surrounds or forces them to be mounted high (above 7 feet). The couch (viewing position) is only about 3 feet from the back wall so high mount speakers need to be mounted so that they are depressed by about 65 degrees (no mount I know of will do this). This is a path to another room so nothing can protrude more than about 4" if it is less than 7' above the floor (I'm 6'6" and clumsy).

The couch could be moved farther from back wall by no more than 2' but it cannot move laterally because of doors on other walls.

My current surrounds are in-ceiling mounted, just behind back of couch. Left channel is just outside end of couch with the speaker about 10" from exterior wall. The right channel is about 4 feet from other end of couch. They are both about 24" from the back wall.

The back wall has a door in it that covers up the end of the couch on the left channel side.

So here's my dilemma......

Stick with 5.1 and be happy?

Try 6.1 with 1 in-ceiling/in-wall speaker centered on two existing surrounds but closer to/in back wall? I can see how this can be done rather simply actually.

Try 7.1 with 2 in-ceiling/in-wall installed close/in back wall? In-wall would be tough because the left one MUST go over the door to other room (or very close to corner of back wall/exterior wall with light switch in way), thus forcing the right channel to be almost 7' high as well.

What about upside down mounting a mirage omnisat or two on that back wall? Boston Accoustics makes small satellites as well. Any other ideas in the less than 4-5" deep range?

My concern with 7.1 in-wall is that door/corner/light switch (2 actually, on inside living room on one side of door, on inside adjoining room on other side of door). That high can't be good can it?

General in ceiling question.....the current speakers (unknown brand, model) are covered by app 6" blown insulation(cellulose I think) Isn't that bad for the speakers? Should I remove the insulation and build a "dam" around the speakers? I think sonotube type thing would work.

I am considering Polk 55i in wall's or corresponding 6-6.5" in celing if I go that route.

Advice? Opinions? Ideas?

EDIT: How about the Omnican from mirage? Looks like it deals withe insulation issues.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Because of a very open floor plan, outside walls, furniture placement, etc. I went with 4 Mirage Omnican 6 in-ceilings for side and rear surrounds. Very pleased with the results.

Mirage recommends inverting the Omnisats if placed higher than 6 feet, so If you can use them they should work. I have 4 Omnisat v2 sats that I wanted to use, but couldn't because of the reasons I mentioned above.

I'd say move the sofa a bit forward if you can if you want to install rear surrounds.

Also, the Omnicans are an enclosed type, so blown insulation won't be a problem. I also have blown insulation, so that's one of the reasons I went with the Omnicans (along with being a long time fan of Mirage speakers).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksmyname /forum/post/12919034

I have 4 Omnisat v2 sats that I wanted to use, but couldn't because of the reasons I mentioned above.

I

Ummm...What are you doing with those omnisat V2's?

I am really leaning towards one of the mirage products. I am a little concerned about them blending with my existing Infinity fronts. I don't think it's a real big deal though since the current surrounds are of unknown make and the room layout is not ideal.

I am kicking the idea around of maybe some Omnican 5's for the rear surrounds, and hoping the Omnican 6's will fit in the existing holes for the current speakers. I would upgrade those later. Who knows, maybe I'll dig the insulation off the current speakers and discover they're decent speakers and not some white van cheapies. Not likely, but here's hoping. They came with the house and the builder had champagne dreams and beer budget. Who knows.

Dave

·
Registered
1,177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckdodgerz /forum/post/12927683

Ummm...What are you doing with those omnisat V2's?

Heh heh.

I have a Yamaha RX-V3800 receiver so I'll be using two of them for front presence speakers. The other two I'll probably put in my wife's craft/sewing room.

As for Mirage (or other) blending with your mains.....I've not heard your brand, but the Omnicans blend very well with my fronts: Energy RC-70 mains, Energy RC-LCR center and two Mirage subs, an S10 and an S12.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the 3800 as well. Bought it at end of December with the ridiculous deal mentioned in the 3800 thread. Love the thing.

I'm still working out the rear surround issue. I think I'm down tot he Omnican or a version of the Omnisats. I hadn't though about using them for the presence speakers.

Hmm....Omnican 5/6 for rear surround, Omnican 6 for surrounds, Omnican 6 for presence.

The 'can would work to replace the current surrounds as long as the cutout for the can is the same size, or larger, than the current cutout. I really don't want to get into removing current speakers, patching drywall (textured ceiling, 12') and then cutting new holes.

I'm not erribly worried about the blending issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts