AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm upgrading my LCR (Athena Micra 6) and would like to go to something as least intrusive as possible. The quirk here is that the wall that my TV is mounted on is open in the back to my basement (split-level home). I believe in-walls need to be, well, in a wall and cannot be open in the back. Is this correct? My second option is to flush-mount bookshelves, but I have read that this could affect the response negatively. Lastly, I can get something on-wall, but I'm having trouble with paying the premium for a thin speaker that performs worse than a larger speaker.

Which of these makes the most sense in my situation?

Thanks in advance.

-Greg

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
Flush mount book shelves are your best bet, as they tend to be of better quality than in-walls. The only caveat is that they not be rear ported.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was my thinking as well, but installation would be much easier with in-walls. I've also taken a closer look at the exact locations and there is some piping behind the wall which could cause problems for a full size bookshelf.

Can most in-walls be used in an infinite baffle situation? It seems that a lot of manufacturers aren't specific on this.

I should note that it really just needs to sound better than my current Micra 6 satellites and doesn't need to satisfy an audiophile's critique.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
Can most in-walls be used in an infinite baffle situation? It seems that a lot of manufacturers aren't specific on this.
The problem with most in-walls is they're not in fully enclosed tuned cabinets. I'd only consider an in-wall that's in an actual full cabinet.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm upgrading my LCR (Athena Micra 6) and would like to go to something as least intrusive as possible. The quirk here is that the wall that my TV is mounted on is open in the back to my basement (split-level home). I believe in-walls need to be, well, in a wall and cannot be open in the back. Is this correct? My second option is to flush-mount bookshelves, but I have read that this could affect the response negatively. Lastly, I can get something on-wall, but I'm having trouble with paying the premium for a thin speaker that performs worse than a larger speaker.

Which of these makes the most sense in my situation?

Thanks in advance.

-Greg
Check these out.
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/mo...r-2015-04-15-speakers-23456-virginia-beach-va

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Those seem like an amazing deal, but I don't have the width (12") and something that size (24" height) would look out of place in the size room these will be going.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts