AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My home is being built as I contemplate what to do with my home theatre room.

The basement I going to enjoy is focused on a 2 channel room. I'm lucky enough to have to really nice equipment, not uber expensive but at least I recently got a Holo May DAC KTE and the music it's delivering through my Usher Tower speakers it amazing. But the Ushers are going to the home theatre room an open area that will enjoy my 120 screen, a 4K projector, and the NAD M17 V2 prepro, Nord amps, good gear.

The reason why I prefaced this is that I cannot use my beloved Ushers in this room :( And why I would or wanted to is that I have arguably, one of the best (and most beautiful) Usher center channel speaker to match. But, the location of the screen meant the right side speaker would be at the foot of the stairs leading down to the basement. Big bummer and no where else to put them. They'll have to go up for sale. Someone will be very pleased.

I need in wall speakers. My budget is ~$5000. Money best spent on LCR but I'll add the surrounds and Atmos stuff because I have 3 very nice Nord amps for LCR and an Emotiva 7 channel class F that weighs easily 120lbs and looks the part of high end. Thank God the amp modules slide out. I'm getting too old to be breaking my ass lugging that amp around!

Thought of Golden Ear, Focal, Paradigm, Triad...
Suggestions from folks who know much better than I? And I don't have much time. The room is being built!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have an all in-ceiling GoldenEar 5.2.2 (5 Invisa 7000s, 2 Invisa 525s, and dual Supersub Xs) in my family room and I really enjoy it. My wife is a designer and she gives me budget flexibility in exchange for minimizing visual impact.I can give a thumbs up to the GoldenEar brand and quality.

Unrelated to my living room setup, I recently cobbled together a tiny but punchy 2.1 system for desktop use and went with Focal Little Birds plus a PSB 101 micro sub. Because the speakers are so close (nearfield, if you will) this little setup really rocks. I was pleasantly surprised by those Focals - super clean and clear.

So, in my next house (a few years away) I'm going to choose an inwall dream system between these two 7.2.4 setups:
GOLDEN EAR
3x GoldenEar Invisa Signatures w/boxes (LCR): $1,150 MSRP ea.
4x GoldenEar Invisa MPX (Surrounds) $600 MSRP ea.
4x GoldenEar Invisa 600 (Atmos) $230 MSRP ea.

FOCAL
3x Focal 300IWLCR6: $1,090 MSRP ea.
4x Focal 300IW6: $790 MSRP ea.
4x Focal 100ICW5: $200 MSRP ea.

A few additional things to consider:
1. The challenge you might have is that audio quality from your towers are likely REALLY REALLY good as you state. Any 'downgrade' in quality will be disappointing. You really need to plan on adding at least two subs to your setup. SVS seems to provide among the best bang for the buck and I think you'd be well served
2. I'm personally moving towards taking my time and purchasing used/B stock/open box products. Some folks are afraid of doing this, but most guys buying product at this price range have spotless gear. We kinda baby this stuff and often keep the boxes/packaging. I can see saving 50% or so just by taking my time and finding deals. For example, someone will get a great deal on some pristine Usher Towers soon... ;-)

Just one guy's opinion... I hope it helps!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks hollandjw, that does indeed help.
I have 3 subs. 2 x Adam SW260's and a single SVS Ultra 16.
No need for the subs to be in the wall.

I was hopeful to locate "B" stock from Safe & Sound but they cannot ship the better brands - store pickup only.

4x Focal 300IW6: $790 MSRP ea. How many channels are you planning to run? My vision is nine channels plus the subs. Maybe I'm forgetting something?

What I had was actually 5 channel plus the subs. The rear surrounds were a pair of Clearwave 5R's. Stupid good speakers featuring Raal tweeters and Scanspeak mids! Just speakers I had laying around 😁 I need to have a BIG audio sale.

Speaker cables were going to be murderous on my budget. I performed some measurements yesterday I think I can use some high end cables (not in wall rated) to feed LCR. Builder will provide conduits ;).

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Don't waste your money on fancy cabling for your speakers, the bulk 2-guage OFC CL2 wire by Monoprice is all you need. Building codes require in-wall rated wire, and it's tonnes less expensive than running conduit and 100% pure snake-oil speaker cable.
I highly suggest a 5.1.4 setup for your room, with 5 ear-level and 4 height speakers. The Focals have the ability to aim the tweeter and midrange towards the MLP, not all in-walls allow that. I almost always suggest in-ceiling speakers with angled baffles that you can aim at your MLP for Atmos channels. Be sure they are capable of an 80Hz crossover, as Atmos channels receive full-range signals.
What are you considering for processing?

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Well, if you believe in the pixie dust of magical speaker wires, then there's nothing I can do to help...

Reactions: RaggedEdge
1 - 6 of 6 Posts