AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am building a semi-dedicated theater room from the studs up. My question s concerning in-wall speaker cabling, the purpose of such being fire protection, etc when run behind drywall. So would I need in-wall CL2 rated cabling if I were to run the cables in front of the fire rated drywall, but behind other permanent fixtures such as crown moulding and a sort of "false wall" TV frame? This frame will be built over the fire-rated drywall with most likely 2"x2" lumber and laminate floor boards, with enough room behind to run wiring.

Thanks,
Marty

·
Registered
989 Posts
I hope that you are not actually planning for all in-wall speakers especially since you are building from the stuffs up. Open-back in-wall speakers are a comprise. Go with towers, bookshelves, on-walls or fully enclosed architectural speakers if you care more about sound quality than looks.

For your question, it is impossible to answer without knowing your location as the code differs from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Interesting question. So, the wires wouldn't actually be in a "wall"? I would assume then you wouldn't need to meet in-wall wiring standards. Maybe you should call your local building department to see what they say.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
The "protection" from CL2 ratings is also about the physical protection (not just the burn rate or toxicity) of the insulation. I'd use the CL2 in-wall (Monoprice!) wire anywhere there's a risk of physical damage during or after construction. Regardless of code, it's more durable. And a lot easier to work with, too.

·
Registered
289 Posts
The "protection" from CL2 ratings is also about the physical protection (not just the burn rate or toxicity) of the insulation. I'd use the CL2 in-wall (Monoprice!) wire anywhere there's a risk of physical damage during or after construction. Regardless of code, it's more durable. And a lot easier to work with, too.
agreed. Good price and they work great. I used CL2 Monoprice wires for all of my in-wall speakers and have been quite happy with the sound.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello all, thanks for your replies, and sorry for just posting and not getting back for a while. I have been pretty swamped between work and what is basically a whole-first-floor renovation that I am tackling myself.

I hope that you are not actually planning for all in-wall speakers especially since you are building from the stuffs up. Open-back in-wall speakers are a comprise. Go with towers, bookshelves, on-walls or fully enclosed architectural speakers if you care more about sound quality than looks.

For your question, it is impossible to answer without knowing your location as the code differs from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.
Hahaha, no, I am not planning on using in walls. I actually have a 7.2 Magnepan setup with Tympani IVa mains, CC2/DWM center, MMG side and rear surrounds, and two Jamo C80 Subs. I almost have more linear feet of speakers than I have walls. The only in-wall speakers I am considering is four overheads to do Dolby Atmos / DTS-X, in which case I most definitely need in-wall wiring. I am in Woodbridge, NJ, by the way.

Interesting question. So, the wires wouldn't actually be in a "wall"? I would assume then you wouldn't need to meet in-wall wiring standards. Maybe you should call your local building department to see what they say.
Technically the wires would be on the outside of the drywall. However, I am constructing a 6mm thick wall of laminate with a one inch gap from the drywall, behind which the wires will run. From there, they will be behind crown moulding, but again in front of the drywall.

I guess by physical protection you mean fraying due to pulling the wires through? Because if I put a nail through a wire or something similar, CL2 will sustain similar damage. In any case, there is no risk of physical damage where I am running the wires.

agreed. Good price and they work great. I used CL2 Monoprice wires for all of my in-wall speakers and have been quite happy with the sound.
Yes, the monoprice CL2 is exactly what I was looking at. I plan on using it in ceiling for my future Atmos / DTS-X setup. However, I currently have 200ft or standard 12 gauge OFC speaker wire which was used temporarily to wire up the 7.2 system. If I can use this and save $100 or so, that's $100 that I can spend elsewhere. I just don't want to violate building code, which is really just there to protect us.

·
Registered
663 Posts
if your "standard 12 gauge OFC" wire is a parallel geometry with a clearish jacket, pass it on to a friend or recycle it now. Most of those "OFC" cables don't have the jackets to sustain the oxygen free part for long. It's corroding as we speak. Other drawback, however tweeky, is that most all CL2 jacketed speaker wires are twisted pairs, which will do a far better job of resisting interference than any parallel wire "lamp" or "zip" cord.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts