AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if this is not the correct forum for asking this question.

I have a home theater setup with the following speakers in the walls and ceiling

Def Tech 6.5 LCR - Center Channel
Def Tech 5.5 LCR - LR
Dr Hsu - HIW-1 - Surrounds
RSL c34e - Atmos

We are in the process of moving to a new house so I removed all the speakers to take them with me to the new place. Now ......... as expected, I can't find the templates I used to cut the original holes in the walls 4 years ago :eek: for each of the speakers above. Dr Hsu's site had a pdf of the measurements for the template at least so I am good there (http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/manual/HIW-1cuttingtemplate.pdf). I can use any help in finding the measurements for the holes needed for the rest of the speakers. Now, before you suggest I measure the size of the current holes, I need to state that the holes are already patched, doh and I'm :mad: at myself.

Thanks in advance.

Wally

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts
Google the model DefTech and see if the model is still available or there is an installation manual. If not go to DT website and contact customer service.

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
If that doesn't pan out, the likes of Lowes sell 2x2 pieces of dry wall. Try to measure the back of the speaker, around the dog legs, and practice on the piece of dry wall - maybe a little smaller than you measure so you can widen it out. You can then use that as the template.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Google the model DefTech and see if the model is still available or there is an installation manual. If not go to DT website and contact customer service.
They have an installation manual for both which say "use the template" :), but it doesn't include the dimensions of the template. I'll try my luck with customer support.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If that doesn't pan out, the likes of Lowes sell 2x2 pieces of dry wall. Try to measure the back of the speaker, around the dog legs, and practice on the piece of dry wall - maybe a little smaller than you measure so you can widen it out. You can then use that as the template.
Great idea to try on the piece of drywall :D. Thanks

·
Registered
972 Posts
Can you just measure the speaker itself (the part that penetrates the wall) and just make a template with those dimensions?

-

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I actually received an email from Def tech customer support with the following information. I very happy that they took the time to respond. :D Thought I'd share since it might help others.

".........The measurement of the cutout for the DI 6.5 LCR is 16.19" H x 7.38" W. The cutout size for the DI 5.5 LCR is 14.38" W x 6.44" H."

So, all I need is help with the RSL speakers now

1 - 8 of 8 Posts