AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just moved into my new house today and of course the first thing I had to play with was the in wall speakers. I found that I had some speaker craft Mt three speakers. They sounded like complete garbage but after playing with the toggle switches was able to get 2 out of the 3 setup ok. I also have a few homitech speakers in the bedroom. They actually sounded better to my ears so I moved them to the living room...

I ran Audesy, got everything calibrated and it's actually not horrible. Would Monoprice speakers be an upgrade to my current speakers? Mine are currently 2 way and I Want a 3 way design. Not sure on the exact measurements, but would be looking for 2 to replace as my current (speaker craft MT Three) FL and FR in wall speakers.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
You should look for fully enclosed in-wall speakers if you want an upgrade. They will be more pricey than Monoprice. Look at Definitive Technology and Axiom.
+1 on this suggestion - "back boxes" or fully enclosed in the back keeps the bass radiating out into the room instead of resonating inside the wall and vibrating the sheet rock which give you muddy bass - you won't believe how much better they sound

Three way speakers will only give you more bass and make the problem worse - it is the bass that makes standard open-back in walls sound muddy. Instead of 3-ways, get an AVR that can do bass management and add a sub to remove as much bass as possible from the in wall speakers - and add back boxes (build your own if budget is a problem) or move up to fully enclosed in walls

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice fellas, I actually found the issue, what sounded like rattling was actually static. I tightened all the terminals down on the speakers and the wall Jacks and the issue went away. Wow, I am super impressed with these speaker craft speakers.... never thought in wall could sound so good. These speakers do have a full box around them and in the rear they are stuffed with what looks like foam you would use to sound insulate a wall with.

Now I just need to find the correct size and put new ones on the bedroom as a few are muddy. They have bass and treble toggle switches and no matter what you do it sounds like they are stuck in the full bass mode.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
337 Posts
Check out James loudspeaker they make great inwall speakers...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts