AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would I install an in-wall speaker if it needs to go right where a stud is? I know virtually basically nothing of construction, hence the question. Is cutting out a section of the stud the answer? Do you need re-inforcement?

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Actually, a stud is 1.5" x 3.5", and since they're almost always edge-mounted, the face is 1.5".

If the speaker MUST go there, the only option is to cut the stud out, the full 3.5" depth if the speaker requires it. If the wall is load bearing, this could weaken the structure. The best clue is whether the joists above this wall are perpendicular or parallel to it.

Without being there, I would have to recommend getting a house-framing carpenter or other contractor to come in and give an opinion. The drywall itself lends a lot of strength to a wall, but I wouldn't risk a sagging issue without knowing for sure.

·
Registered
504 Posts
The best alternative is to remove the drywall on one side of the wall from floor to ceiling. Cut it back a total of 3 stud widths, one on either side of the stud that you need to remove. On a 16" center wall this will yield a 48" wide opening.

Add two new studs, one 8" on either side of the stud that is to be removed. then cut out the stud that needs to be removed. DO NOT cut out the initial stud before adding the two new studs. In the end you will have added two studs where one was, thus adding strength to the wall.

If you cut into the wall and it is faced with plywood, DO NOT CUT the wall, this is a sheer wall. Find a different mounting location or use on-wall speakers.

After you have moved your stud, replace the drywall, tape and texture.

Have fun!

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,175 Posts
If you cut the wall open don't overlook the opportunity to stuff some insulation in the wall. This will reduce some of the unwanted wall sound effects. Also on the walls you are going to just cut a hole for the speakers. stuff some fiberglass above and below the cut and put a layer behind the speaker. This will reduce some of the unwanted wall resonances.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the good info people.

I would like this to be as simple as I can make it. If I have to add new studs or remove sheetrock to put one speaker in, I will consider another option.

I haven't actually checked the wall to see if there really is a stud right in the center. I haven't moved into the house quite yet. Still another 2 weeks until it's finished. But I'm assuming there will be. This is over a fireplace, and the center channel in-wall will be dead center.

If I go up in the attic to examine the wall from above, I can determine whether it is load bearing or not, right? What exactly should I look for?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.