AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to go with in-wall speakers in my living room, but I have an issue with where to place the speakers. Below is a picture of my room, and I have marked where I plan to place round speakers and my tv. (I think I made the TV a little too big in the diagram.
)

It's that top left corner with the curved archway that is making me lean towards round speakers. I want to use 8" units, maybe Phoenix Gold, and use 5.5" for the side and rear channels. I am a total noob when it comes to even "nice" audio/video so I am open to suggestions about everything. I have a 47" Visio LCD, and an Onkyo HT-R550 7.1 reciever.

So should I go with round speakers where I indicated in the picture, or do something else? Put all the front speakers surrounding the TV, and use regular rectangular in wall units instead of ceiling speakers?

Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Does Phoenix Gold make home audio products? I thought they were mobile only...

Anyway, the pictured set of parameters is tough. If you have the pocketbook for it, jump over into the Triad thread. If anybody can solve the plethora of issues in that photo, they can.

If nothing else, free bump for more opinions.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
If you're looking at Phoenix Gold, Triad may be out of the price range, but thanks for the mention.

I would use good rectangular inwalls, not round, and I would keep them closer together, to coincide with the action on the screen. You have the speakers spread too far apart in your drawing. The left speaker should be between the left and center red dots in your illustration, but the header from the doorway may be in the way. The right speaker needs to be symmetrical with the left and shouldn't be in a corner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the heads up on the speaker placement. Is is also wrong to put the rear surrounds up in the corners of the room? We have been playing with the layout of the living room, and now it looks like that the picture I posted above will be the back wall now. Where would you place the rear surrounds?

I'm going to be honest, I don't know d**k about speaker brands. As far as I can see online, yes the Triads are out of my price range. I followed a link off of this site to HIFIforless.com and saw many pairs of speakers in the $50 to $150 range. What are some good entry brands of in-wall speakers?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
From your photo it looks highly unlikely that you could do an in wall speaker in that top left corner location. There will be framing from the doorway, likely two 2 x 4's going to the left of the opening and very likely another 2 x 4, if not two to the right of the corner. Count on at least 4.5" of the width of that space being taken up with framing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts