401 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  juka 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm installing a HT in my living room. I'm building one wall out so that I

can build the TV and AV rack into the wall for a custom look. The wall will

be a standard framed sheetrock wall with openings for the TV and rack. I

will also be installing in-wall speakers into the wall, and that is where my

question lies.

I will not need to sheetrock the back of the wall since it is a non functional wall, so I can't easily insulate it... so what should I do behind the speakers? My thought was to frame around where the speakers will be, sheetrock the backs, and insulate those sections only. Or would it be better to build a small insulated cabinet behind each speaker? Or should I worry about it at all. Any comments would be greatly appreciated! The front speakers are JBL HTI-6 loudspeakers and the center is a Niles HD-CTR.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Check with the Mfg. They should be able to give you insight as to if there is a specific cavity size that the speaker should be sitting in. I used Polk in-walls with good success. I did insulate the wall cavity that the speaker was in and sheetrocked the back of the cavity. The bigger the cavity "generally" the more bass response you will have.

Audiophiles shun the use of in-walls. I have used them on two occations and have been happy with the results.

I am currently using Paradigm reference series in-wall speakers.

Still in the construction phase and waiting for my projector so it can be finished.

Good luck! Hope it works.

joe_2224@yahoo.com

#3 ·
The enclosure is half the speaker. Build a cabinet if space permits. In-walls have come a long way. Some nicer ones have enclosures already.

#5 ·
yes, refer to your manufacturer... it varies from 1 to the next.

I have Paradigm also, and love them... amazing how good they sound with such a small cavity. And I was shocked that they recommended to insulate the cavity! (Tells you how much I know about acoustic technology).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.