AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to finish my basement and I have speaker wire that will runs in the ceiling (on the joists) and up to our family room. Do I really need in-wall wire or is any speaker wire fine for this? BTW, I currently have AR 14Ga wire.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I suppose that depends on whether or not it will be inspected.

Inwall rated cable is designed for fire resistance as well as smooth jacketing for easier pulling. I have heard "stories" that if your house burns down and the can say it was the fault of the wrong type of cable in the wall that your insurance would not pay.

Now having said that my experience is that inwall cable is often the same price as regular cable.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, now where can I find some good 12ga in-wall wire? Is the stuff at parts express any good. It didn't sound like it was even 100% copper.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
You can always run a pcb pipe(s) through -- it is definitely more expensive, but you can switch out the wire later, if you want (or need) to.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
The architectural cable available at PartsExpress for about $.18/foot is just fine. It is what I have in my walls.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ended up getting some 4 conductor 16ga wire. Would it be a problem to twist the 4 into 2 to make a large gauge of wire?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.