AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope someone can help me with this. I have big floor standing speakers now connected to my PassLabs 300 Watt per channel @8-Ohms amp. I am moving into a new house and would like to move to in-wall speakers becasue of lack of room but I'm not sure I'll be happy. I had in-wall speakers in my bedroom and I never thought they sounded very good. I'd like to have very nice speakers so as to continue enjoying my big amp.


Thanks,

john
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about this one.


Polk Audio LC265i Single in-wall speaker.


sold individually

frequency response 43-26,000 Hz (-3dB)

1" swivel-mount Ring Radiator tweeter

dual 6-1/2" Dynamic Balance woofers

handles up to 200 watts

sensitivity 91 dB

4-ohm impedance

Power Port technology

wall distance toggle switch and tweeter level switch

paintable white matte grilles

durable, moisture-resistant construction

cutout: 7-1/4"W x 19-1/4"H

mounting depth: 2-3/4"

warranty: 5 years


Thanks,

john
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,710 Posts
?? These are powered speakers which, in part, accounts for the price. But you already have decent amps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They do make one like it that's powered but these are not. They are rated much lower than the amp and that does not make me happy. If I purchase these I think they shouldn't be connected to the PassLabs amp? Not sure but I do look for ratings and I don't want to blow these things up.


thanks,

john
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,710 Posts
Again, take a look at Triad and Atlantic. They have been making in-walls for a long time and, since they offer matching free-standing speakers, you can actually audition them!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
I did somewhat the same thing and ended up using JBL HTI-8's w/ 300 per channel Crown power. That being said, I did use a pair for the Left, a pair for the R, and a pair for the Center for two reasons, (1) The Crowns love a 4ohm load, and (2) I like BIG dynamics.


I really like the outcome.


Mark
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/14336392


Again, take a look at Triad and Atlantic. They have been making in-walls for a long time and, since they offer matching free-standing speakers, you can actually audition them!

Good luck auditioning Atlantic Technology speakers. Before I bought my 8200e's, I looked everywhere in the northeast for a dealer that had them set up for an audition. Even Atlantic Technology couldn't tell me any place I could hear them. Their dealers are virtually all custom installers and they don't stock the speakers.


I ended up buying them through Jason Turk here on AVS. AVS has a no-hassle, 30-day return policy, and great pricing, so I was comfortable with the purchase, and have kept the speakers.


Traid does have some stocking, showroom dealers, so it may be easier to audition them, but Atlantic is just about impossible.


OP, before you search any further for in-walls, you should read this:
http://www.cepro.com/article/how_to_...peaker_systems


Craig
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've done some looking and I found Axiom speakers. They make a w22 and maybe I should go with a on-wall instead if a in-wall. They are nice looking and I'd have to use two per side. Still unsure and wondering why something nicer doesn't exist. I sure could make a nice cabinet that would fit into the space and maybe building is a better idea?


john
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,710 Posts
DIY is fine if you know what you are doing. Have you ever built speakers? As for the Axioms, I cannot comment on their performance but you should not just be picking based on looks. You have to listen.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongig /forum/post/14338649


I've done some looking and I found Axiom speakers. They make a w22 and maybe I should go with a on-wall instead if a in-wall. They are nice looking and I'd have to use two per side. Still unsure and wondering why something nicer doesn't exist.

Using two per side is not a good idea AND something nicer does exist. Do what Kal suggested... check out Traid and Atlantic. Also Klipsch makes a THX Ultra 2 in-wall speaker. I haven't heard them, but if they sound as good as their boxed Ultra2's, they're definitely worth checking out:
https://www.klipsch.com/products/lis...in-wall-1.aspx


Craig
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
409 Posts
Triad as mentioned above, as big as possible! Also consider B&W Sig8 with Back Box. Or Focal 1000 series BE In Wall with a sub. Heck, add a sub (or two) to any of the above for big sound. Triad and Velodyne have solid in-wall subs. I would prefer my JLAudio sub over an in-wall though...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
I have Revel I30's for Front L/R, and I20's for Side L/R. They work well with my Lexicon LX-7 (200 wpc @ 8 ohms).


Very good sound.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptman /forum/post/14342644


I have Revel I30's for Front L/R, and I20's for Side L/R. They work well with my Lexicon LX-7 (200 wpc @ 8 ohms).


Very good sound.


How do you think the Revel I30s would compare to the Triad Gold Monitor inwalls?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongig /forum/post/14336289


They do make one like it that's powered but these are not. They are rated much lower than the amp and that does not make me happy. If I purchase these I think they shouldn't be connected to the PassLabs amp? Not sure but I do look for ratings and I don't want to blow these things up.


thanks,

john

You are looking at this completely wrong if you are comparing the amp's rated power output with the speakers power handling rating. They are two entirely different things.


First to the amp.... An amp's power rating is what it is capable of producing on a "continuous" basis. Most decent amps have the ability to produce three to four times their "rated" power output for short periods of time. These peaks are called headroom or dynamic power.


To the speaker's power handling ability, again that's on a continuous basis and then their is usually a peak rating as well that the speaker can handle for short peaks. But, for this rating to mean anything, you must understand how much power that speaker is actually drawing from the amp. And that's shown in the efficiency of the speaker.


With the Polk's you mention for example, they show a 91 dB efficiency rating. What that number means is this.... that speaker produces 91 decibles (dB) of sound averaged across it's frequency range with ONE SINGLE WATT of power applied as measured from one meter away. IOW, the dB or decible rating is how loud the speaker plays (from one meter away) based on a single watt of power applied to the speaker.


It's also a fact that to raise the volume or output level of a speaker 3 dB's, you must double the power. So, based on the Polk speakers you list and your Pass Labs amp.... here is what would happen:


91 dB = 1 watt of power (equivalent to a noisy factory floor)

94 dB = 2 watts of power

94 dB = 4 watts of power

97 dB = 8 watts of power

100 dB = 16 watts of power (pneumatic jack hammer measured from 2M)

103 dB = 32 watts of power

106 dB = 64 watts of power

109 dB = 128 watts of power

112 dB = 256 watts of power

115 dB = 512 watts of power

118 dB = 1024 watts of power (live rock concert 2M from main speakers)


So based on normal home theater listening volumes of between 80 and 95 dB's.... your Pass Labs amp will be producing between 2 and 6 watts of power on a continuous basis. So the "power handling" rating on the speaker isn't even a factor. Unless of course you had the volume cranked to 112 dB's or higher on a continuous basis. The amp could easily handle it and it would get a little warm. But the speakers would eventually burn up.


Of course, I wouldn't worry about that because you'd need to learn how to sign to communicate any further. You'd be deaf.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
As has been mentioned by others. I highly recommend closed-back speakers by Triad, PSB Custom or Atlantic Technologies. These are of course what we use in our installs, but I feel they are at the top in their category.


We also carry the Polks that you mention. These are also a very nice speaker that use a different approach using the IB design. It has a lot of things working against them, however in their category they are quite good as well.


Your amplifier will drive any of these speakers with ease.


I would go in-wall before I went on-wall in most cases.


Listen before you buy if you can.


Hope that helps,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttowntony /forum/post/14706706


As has been mentioned by others. I highly recommend closed-back speakers by Triad, PSB Custom or Atlantic Technologies. These are of course what we use in our installs, but I feel they are at the top in their category.


We also carry the Polks that you mention. These are also a very nice speaker that use a different approach using the IB design. It has a lot of things working against them, however in their category they are quite good as well.


Your amplifier will drive any of these speakers with ease.


I would go in-wall before I went on-wall in most cases.


Listen before you buy if you can.


Hope that helps,


So would you say that the Triad Gold Monitor inwalls are the best inwalls around?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have looked hard at all my options and it's now my feeling that the best I can do is Triad. I have decided on these speakers.


Front LCR - Three Triad Gold-6 LCR.

Sides - Two Triad Gold seperates.

Rear - Two Triad Gold Surrounds.


Nearly forgot the subs.


Two 10 inch in-wall Bronze subs with two 250 watt rack amps, mounted in front wall.

Two 15 inch Earthquake in-room Mark-6 subs with 600 watt amps, on floor in rear.


I am using a B&K 200.7-S2 for all 7 channels and will not use the Pass amp. The Pass amp became so much trouble because of it's size. I do like the B&K amp anway.


I really hope these will sound as good as I hear they will, (pun intended).


Please opine...


John
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongig /forum/post/14706745


I have looked hard at all my options and it's now my feeling that the best I can do is Triad. I have decided on these speakers.


Front LCR - Three Triad Gold-6 LCR.

Sides - Two Triad Gold seperates.

Rear - Two Triad Gold Surrounds.


Nearly forgot the subs.


Two 10 inch in-wall Bronze subs with two 250 watt rack amps, mounted in front wall.

Two 15 inch Earthquake in-room Mark-6 subs with 600 watt amps, on floor in rear.


I am using a B&K 200.7-S2 for all 7 channels and will not use the Pass amp. The Pass amp became so much trouble because of it's size. I do like the B&K amp anway.


I really hope these will sound as good as I hear they will, (pun intended).


Please opine...


John

That system should sound superb! The only suggestion I have is to re-consider the two front subs. It'll be difficult to make them work well with the monster Earthquake subs. If you're planning to use them to make the front speakers "full-range", I don't think I would bother. Just set the speakers to "small" and re-direct all the bass to the Earthquakes. They'll do a terrific job of filling the room with bass.


Now, you next mission, should you decide to accept it, is to acoustically treat your room.



Craig
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a theater where now that has subs in the front as well as the rear and they are mismatched to some degree. I've played with the crosover points and i like the sound. I'm not sure how well it will work but I will probably cut the frequency to the front down to 40Hz and leave the earthquake subs set at a very low 20-60z. I realize that frequencies below maybe 50Hz are not able to be picked up directionally but above 50Hz is.


I had considered just one inwall sub and place it in the center.


I may take your advice and leave it out and just let it sit on the floor as an experiment.


I've been used to big speakers and I'm having a hard time with this downsize.


Thanks for the help.


john
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top