AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of remodeling a kitchen & family room, and we've decided to put three in-wall speakers (L/C/R) in the family room around the wall mount 55" flat panel TV, and two ceiling mount behind the seating area. Budget for the speakers is ~$500, so looking at the Polk Audio RC65i or RC85i for the front L/R with a Polk SC C or 255C-RT center. (Likewise RC60i or RC80i for in-ceiling surround.)

The sheetrock is currently off the wall so I am free to do whatever I want prior to the install. So my question is: what would be best practices, given no drywall up yet?

I'm thinking of putting a couple of cross braces in between the studs to box in the speaker, and sealing the wood & sheetrock around the speaker with a couple of primer coats to reduce moisture. Open to suggestions!

P.S. Already accepting lower fidelity with in-wall speakers...this is the family room and my high fidelity listening will be done in the living room with the real stereo system!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts

Well, you shouldn't accept lower fidelity because they're in-walls, since in-walls can deliver a superior sound for a number of technical reasons. 

Unfortunately, many of the in-walls are poor, and so they'll perform poorer than many freestanding speakers. 

The most common advice when purchasing speakers is to buy those with a backer box. That way the enclosure is the correct size for the speaker design, is well-damped and won't let so much sound escape and make things resonate and rattle.

Without a backer box, you could ask the manufacturer for what the ideal cubic volume is, so that you can frame and seal and line with insulation as needed.

Can you get the surround speakers to the left and right, or slightly rear positions? This is the ideal for 5.1. Not "rears" as in the 1970s quadaphonic or 1988 Pro Logic days. 

Can you use ceiling speakers with aimable tweeters?

·
Registered
337 Posts
First make sure you run all your wire or any extra wire for future.

I framed ours in but our James Loudspeakers are sealed.

My neighbor uses Paradigm and they have clips that attach to the drywall when installed.

You need to look at the speakers you are purchasing and consider how they mount.

Your statement about excepting lower fidelity is you choosing a $500 dollar budget.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts