AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm upgrading our rec room with a Pioneer PDP-6020HD and Integra DTR-7.8. The room is approx 27' deep and 24' wide. It has 10' ceilings. Here's what it looks like.

The Plasma is mounted in the alcove on the right.

My wife insists that I can't have floor standing or on-wall speakers. They must be in-wall. (The rear speakers for the 5.1 system will go in a soffet near the rear of the room).

At first I was just going to go with some relatively inexpensive in-walls and my installer put in a set of Tanoy IW62 TDC in-wall speakers. They're not awful, but given the size of the room, even with a sub-woofer, they are just not "strong" enough for this size of room.

Before I go do a bunch of listening, I'd like to be able to narrow it down. My installers is recommending the PSB CW600E ( http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/...n-Wall-Speaker ) and I have PSB (Image series) speakers in my theater (106" front projection with a Ruby and Integra DTR-10.5) and I love them.

The CW600E's are ~$2200 each. They better be damn good for that much. I'm willing to spend that much on great speakers, but i dont' know what else in this range is out there.

Who has experience filling a room like this with in-wall speakers?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Also look at Snell, James, Triad, Atlantic, B&W, RBH...and all the other brands everyone is about to recommend because they own them.

Do inwalls with engineered enclosures, and a matching inwall subwoofer.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
My wife insists that I can't have floor standing or on-wall speakers. They must be in-wall. (The rear speakers for the 5.1 system will go in a soffet near the rear of the room).

Build a huge Array of speakers in the walls. You will both be happy

·
Registered
64 Posts
The Martin Logan Voyage are pretty hard to beat IMO.

http://www.us.martinlogan.com/speaker_intro/voyage.html

They also have a pretty high WAF (wife acceptance factor) since they don't look like a typical inwall speaker.

Just make sure that whatever nice inwall speaker you select, you don't leave the performance of the speaker up to the construction of your wall. We have used the Dynamat En-Wall kits and they work great! We pretty much include them on every proposal with inwall speakers. The Dynabox work very well with in ceiling speakers too.

http://www.dynamat.com/products_arch...l_en_wall.html

If you use the En-Wall kits for large speakers like the Voyage you will need approximately 1.5 kits per speaker.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I second the Triad and Martin Logan speakers. They do have some great products but if you are running an Integra they might be alittle bright for the ML's they both would run nicely with Rotel or NAD IMO. Do you have any dealers in your area that you can give these a listen? If you do I think you will be in for a treat. The ML Passage's are real nice and would fill the space but might be alittle more tempermental with their placement compared to the Triads but once you get them placed where they need to be either will fill the room with ease.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Appreciate the input so far. I'm intrigued by the Martin Logans. Anyone know if Definitive in Bellevue, WA carries them? Or someone else in the Redmond/Bellevue area near Seattle?

FWIW, here's the current setup. Sub is not in place yet, nor is furniture...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Please post your feelings on the demo. I have almost the exact same size room as yours and am looking to do the same thing.

K

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cek /forum/post/14201060

Thougths on these KEFs:

http://www.kef.com/kefamerica/produc.../ci9000ace.asp

I'm going to demo them this week...

I really like the KEFs. If this were my personal listening room, I'd want a more "warm"/"less bright" setup, but for what this room will be used for (loud teenage music ) they are awesome. I've decided to go with them.

I was very impressed with their range and clear tonal separation (I'm not an audiophile, so forgive my mis-use of terms), especially when cranked WAY up.

·
Registered
299 Posts
You should check out the Tannoy iw63. It's a bit beefier.

54Hz - 40kHz, 200wrms 400w peak power handling, and with a max output of 117db, it'll get there... BUT... they are a bit bigger. Still in-wall, but bigger.

The iw60EFX is the surround version.

·
Registered
202 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cek /forum/post/14256239

I really like the KEFs. If this were my personal listening room, I'd want a more "warm"/"less bright" setup, but for what this room will be used for (loud teenage music ) they are awesome. I've decided to go with them.

I was very impressed with their range and clear tonal separation (I'm not an audiophile, so forgive my mis-use of terms), especially when cranked WAY up.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
With the exception of the shelves for the AV cabinet, smoked glass door for the AV cabinet, and the counch, our remodel of the recroom is complete.

The KEF speakers are installed and I'm really, really happy with them. They work very will in this large room.

Here's how they look:

Cheers!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts