AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

My uncle is building a house and wants to install a new audio system in his living room. He says that he only wants a 2.1 setup for now and would like in-wall speakers. I am trying to build him a system but am having trouble finding a pair of in-walls that will be sufficient as mains and fit the budget of $200. I was thinking an Onkyo 309 receiver since it would allow him to upgrade to 5.1 in the future if he wishes. Any advice on which in-walls to get? So far I have been looking at these Polks (I was thinking I'd get the 8 inch ones):

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-RC6.../dp/B00005T3C8

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the great suggestions! In your opinion which of the three speakers do you think would be best as mains in a stereo setup? I kind of like the horn tweeters on the bics but do you think that they are worth the extra money over the polks? Or would the polks be sufficient? Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I've used the Polk RC80i (8' in-ceiling) for Zone 2 speakers. Sound is surprisingly good, tough to beat at the price. Also have used RC85i as front height speakers with good results. At $150/pair a good value.

The decision to consider horns is up to you. The Bics seem to be a good choice if you do decide.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was going to recommend a bic v1220 for the sub as it is what I use at my house and I love it. The price is pretty good too. Any other suggestions? Currently I am leaning towards the bics with the horns as they aren't too much more money over the polks.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaustin /forum/post/20799128

I was going to recommend a bic v1220 for the sub as it is what I use at my house and I love it. The price is pretty good too. Any other suggestions? Currently I am leaning towards the bics with the horns as they aren't too much more money over the polks.

Remember, not all horns are created equal. If they end up being harsh, I doubt your Dad will like them.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm... so do you think that the bics are worth the extra $50 over the polks for the horns? As I don't really have a way to listen to the bics before buying I wouldn't know if the horns are harsh.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
As I've never heard either one, I can't answer that. But I suspect the JBLs I showed you might be better than both.

IF whichever you buy, there is a return policy then you would be covered, if they don't sound right to your Dad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts