AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I am a novice to all of the speaker jargon!! And i tried to do a search but didn't really find what i was looking for..(or i didnt search enough)..lol..so i apologize if this topic is already covered.

But I have a 20'x14' media room that I need to fill with in-wall speakers. I was looking into the Definitive Technology UIW RLS III (2) in the front and Bose 191 (2) for the rear & a possible sub!

What do y'all think about these speakers especially the Def Tech's? Is it worth it at $599 each or are there better in-wall speakers for the money. Any help would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just got done doing a dedicated theater room a few months ago. There are far less people doing in-walls than traditional speakers so it's a little tougher getting advice. Generally, once you install your in-walls you are going to keep them as you have a hole in your wall cut out specifically for these speakers. Because of this people know what they have and how it sounds but can't always do comparisons.

I ended up going with Klipsch In-walls. (Got a killer deal on new R-5800-W's on Fleabay..$150ea MSRP:$549) I decided to use the same speaker across the front stage as I like the fluidity of the sound.

Weeks 1-3: I was moderately happy with my setup. I was using a newer Yamaha receiver for amplification in a 7.2 setup. Subwoofer was DIY custom built in-wall dual Shiva-X's. I was by no means blown away with my setup. It was OK at best. I was OK with that since I didn't drop a whole lot of money on the setup. There was definetly something lacking though.

Weeks 2-4: There are people on this board who know what they are talking about and give some great advice. One of the best lessons for me was in order to get your speakers to their full potential they need POWER. If I had stopped trying to tweak my system in the first couple of weeks I would have moved on and probably never have used In-Walls again complaining that they "suck" as I was truly underwhelmed by them. I would have complained about bad engineering and how all in-walls are flawed in design and are not worth it. I would be WRONG.

Now: Well my in-wall setup is AWESOME! and the thing that changed it around for me is a dedicated Emotiva 7 channel amp. The difference is night and day. I want my dedicated home theater to reach out to me and shake the hell out of me. I want bullets flying by my head. I have that now. For the price emotiva is awesome but they aren't paying me to write this so go after any quality amp that you can get a great deal on.

Advice: Go with a reputably in-wall company and get the best speakers you can that are within your budget. Be sure to match them with solid components. You can by $1000 speakers but if your components suck then their sound will also. Overall for the price I'm very happy with my Klipsch/Emo setup. I'm in a better place financially now than I was then so if I would do it over again I would probably go with something different and more $$. Maybe Atlantic Tech, PSB or Axiom's On-wall/In-wall setup. Not cause I think I'm gonna get alot better sound than my Klipsch's but it will be different which can be good.

Don't get caught up in specific speakers. Find some you like and go with them. Keep your eye on the bigger picture and make sure you have a well rounded system.

I decided to write all this because if you wait for a response from the few people on this board that actually have the in-walls that your looking for it will prob never happen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks a lot wadesi....a wealth of information!! I understand what you saying about the hole in wall scenario & power. My budget isnt as high up there as I would like to be...maybe around 2K for all of my components (front speakers (2), rear speakers (2), Sub (1) and AV receiver. Yeah its really hard to compare inwall speakers...even at retail stores, since it is never going to be the specific room size at your house. But i guess I will try to find the best deal and go with it.

Thanks...any more info would be helpful.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
If you plan to add external amps..which I deem a must for a serious theater..(I own Emotiva XPA-3 and Behringer 1500) make sure your speakers can handle the power..many out there in the budget price range have low RMS ratings of 100w or so.

Also make sure your AVR has Pre-outs so you can use external amps.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Check out the ID lines. HSU, Ascend and Aperion all have In-wall speakers now. The HSU and Aperions are $150 per speaker and their are prob discounts if you buy multiples. All these companies have a great reputation on this board. I'm sure their offerings will be excellent. Much better value than the $599 Def Techs....

·
Registered
3,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesi /forum/post/18279230

Check out the ID lines. HSU, Ascend and Aperion all have In-wall speakers now. The HSU and Aperions are $150 per speaker and their are prob discounts if you buy multiples. All these companies have a great reputation on this board. I'm sure their offerings will be excellent. Much better value than the $599 Def Techs....

Just to add to the ID list. Axiom has inwalls that are sealed in back for a very good price.

http://axiomaudio.com/m22-inwall-speakers.html

·
Registered
21 Posts
A friend reccomended HSU. I see a decent package around $1,000. How do you guys like HSU, and what would you reccomend if I raised my budget to this level?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
At the high end, individuals like Triad and Speakercraft.

Below that I would give Hsu the first look, especially based on cost/benefit. The box speakers corresponding to the Hsu in-walls have gotten consistent, very good reviews, particularly on their ability to play loud.

Individuals have also given the in-walls from monoprice.com favorable comments.

·
Premium Member
14,219 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts