AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a bit of a living room remodel going and looking for some advice on which speakers to go with. My thought is to take an existing closet and drywall over the front, effectively creating a false wall. I am thinking of putting Def Tec UIW RLS ii in-walls for LCR.

However, I'm wondering if I could put towers behind the false wall with the speaker fronts flush with the wall behind acoustic fabric. Not sure what kind of acoustical issues I'd run into with that setup since I'd have these towers in a closet. I could box them in if that helps, but think that runs into a whole other set of acoustic issues. The depth in the closet is about 23.5". I like the open sound of electrostatics, but think those might be even worse than a typical floorstanding speaker if put behind the false wall.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
15,325 Posts
I'm doing a bit of a living room remodel going and looking for some advice on which speakers to go with. My thought is to take an existing closet and drywall over the front, effectively creating a false wall. I am thinking of putting Def Tec UIW RLS ii in-walls for LCR.

However, I'm wondering if I could put towers behind the false wall with the speaker fronts flush with the wall behind acoustic fabric. Not sure what kind of acoustical issues I'd run into with that setup since I'd have these towers in a closet. I could box them in if that helps, but think that runs into a whole other set of acoustic issues. The depth in the closet is about 23.5". I like the open sound of electrostatics, but think those might be even worse than a typical floorstanding speaker if put behind the false wall.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!
How wide is this closet? From the photo, it looks kind of narrow. If so, you'll have to take part of the steps away and flank the closet with the left and right speakers and put the center behind the new false wall.

The depth should be fine... you just need to line the interior with linacoustic fabric to cut down on sound reflections. I would do three identical, vertical speakers and use an acoustically transparent front projection screen, if possible. Create a light frame false wall with wood just like in the dedicated theater forum section.

If you only want a flat panel display, then stud out the closet and drywall as if it was another wall and put in-wall's in as you discussed above.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wall is 100" from the bottom of the stairs on the left to the right side wall. I think I can use the whole wall, not just the portion where the cut-out of the closet exists. I've not opened up the wall to the left of the closet, but don't see why there should be anything there.

I think the def tec's would be a lot easier, and might look a little nicer, but could I improve the sound significantly with going to a floorstanding speaker (assuming the same budget)? I might need to put them on a pedestal about 12 inches up because of the stairs on the left, but don't think that would be a big hinderance.

Thanks...its amazing how much there is to think about this stuff...I haven't even begun shopping surrounds but hopefully that much clearer.

·
Registered
15,325 Posts
The wall is 100" from the bottom of the stairs on the left to the right side wall. I think I can use the whole wall, not just the portion where the cut-out of the closet exists. I've not opened up the wall to the left of the closet, but don't see why there should be anything there.

I think the def tec's would be a lot easier, and might look a little nicer, but could I improve the sound significantly with going to a floorstanding speaker (assuming the same budget)? I might need to put them on a pedestal about 12 inches up because of the stairs on the left, but don't think that would be a big hindrance.

Thanks...its amazing how much there is to think about this stuff...I haven't even begun shopping surrounds but hopefully that much clearer.
If you have the room, then yeah, I'd open up the whole wall section and build it out for an acoustic weaved projection screen (they're not very expensive anymore) and transparent false wall using light wood framing and paneling and with black Guilford of Maine acoustically transparent cloth around the AT screen. That can look really stylish.

One idea for a frame out using identical towers:

I would consider three black ash SVS Prime Towers for $1,500 total (free shipping both ways if you're not satisfied). They'd blow those Def Tech in-wall's away (Def Tech specs. are always overblown). They have rear ports, so be sure to give them some clearance in the back.

http://www.svsound.com/prime-tower-ba?quantity=1

You can use Prime Satellites for the surrounds. $135 each.

http://www.svsound.com/speakers/prime-series/prime-satellite

Rythmik Audio, HSU Research, and SVS subs are usually good go-to brands. The model and amount of subs would depend on your room dimensions and bass reproduction needs.

I would strongly consider being ready with wiring for Dolby Atmos and DTS: X immersive surround formats.

Any other questions or concerns... please speak freely. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should clarify that this is a living room set-up so I can't do a projection...will be using a TV. Been looking at the SVS's, and I'm intrigued. I'd need to go with the center channel vs. the 3rd tower since I can't do the projector, but presume that would be fine.

I've also looked at the Guilford of Maine acoustical products, and am trying to envision how I would use the panels. I assume I just keep a hole in the wall (finished off, of course), and then place the panel over it. This seem easy enough, but I think it would look odd if it went from the floor to, say, half way up the wall. If anyone has some ideas how this would look with a tower speaker I'd like to see a picture.

Thanks for the reply's guys. I'm getting excited about this.

·
Registered
15,325 Posts
I should clarify that this is a living room set-up so I can't do a projection...will be using a TV. Been looking at the SVS's, and I'm intrigued. I'd need to go with the center channel vs. the 3rd tower since I can't do the projector, but presume that would be fine.

I've also looked at the Guilford of Maine acoustical products, and am trying to envision how I would use the panels. I assume I just keep a hole in the wall (finished off, of course), and then place the panel over it. This seem easy enough, but I think it would look odd if it went from the floor to, say, half way up the wall. If anyone has some ideas how this would look with a tower speaker I'd like to see a picture.

Thanks for the reply's guys. I'm getting excited about this.
The false wall that I'm describing is for a front projection system with acoustically transparent screen and only really works well with such as it locks the sound with the image (like a commercial theater). If you want a flat panel, either stud out the closet and install in-walls or just close off the wall and make it blank, hang the TV or put it on a stand or A/V component table, and flank the display or stand/table with the left and right towers (putting them at around the 30 degree mark and not snug to the TV for proper stereo spacing) and get a Prime Center to place underneath the TV.

In fact, with a flat panel, I would consider bumping things to the SVS Ultra Bookshelf speakers (same price as the Prime towers) and Ultra Center. With a good subwoofer, this combo would probably sound more refined anyway.

http://www.svsound.com/speakers/ultra-series/ultra-bookshelf

http://www.svsound.com/speakers/ultra-series/ultra-center

1 - 6 of 6 Posts