AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I originally put this post in the Speaker area and got no replies; I guess the participants in that area are more concerned with which kind of speaker to get than what to do with them once you have them.

Anyway, I'm thinking about putting a projection TV system in my basement, where my kids like to watch TV and do PlayStation but also like to roughhouse a lot. Rather than try to move five speakers out of the way if they want to have a game of indoor football, I'd like to just mount the speakers in-wall. Are there any special considerations that must be taken into account when mounting speakers in-wall, or is it just a matter of cutting the right size hole in the drywall and hanging 'em up? Also, what about placement of the center-front speaker? If I'll be projecting onto a wall, does it make a difference if the speaker is mounted above the screen vs. below the screen?

Don

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had a similar question a while ago. Maybe you'll find some hints (and terms to search for here in this forum) in that post. Click here to get there.

In short, there is a difference between concealed speakers and in-wall speakers. If you just want your existing speakers out of the way, you are probably looking for pointers on concealed speakers.

Good luck!

- Martin

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
If you go with true in-walls or in-ceiling, there is a template that comes with the speaker to aid in cutting out a hole in the drywall. Most are as easy as cutting the hole, connecting the wire, and sliding into the hole. Others have brackets that can be installed for additional support.

As for above or below the screen for placement? I think you'll find equal points of view on this one. For me, I'm going to try to get it above the screen if I can, so I don't have to worry about the lower front row of seating blocking the sound. This may be difficult due to my room dimensions and screen size, but that's yet to be seen.

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,184 Posts
Not all in walls speakers are created equal.

Some are made without rear baffles and are designed to vent into the open wall cavity. That means that the cavity will be filled with sound. as well as the adjoining wall and up or down the framing members to the other floors of your house. A while back someone posted a thread on ceiling speakers and how it put a cramp on his HT use if his wife wanted to sleep upstairs. I can't believe there is actually a sub woofer on the market designed to use the wall cavity as the rear speaker enclosure. Now that's shake rattle and roll.

Some are designed with an air tight rear baffle. The sound performance will be more predictable (who knows what's in your wall). The sound should be more detailed as it will be coming only from the speaker and not the wall surface. Lastly the person on the other side of the wall will thank you.

Do your research on the speaker design.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Not all in walls speakers are created equal.

Some are made without rear baffles and are designed to vent into the open wall cavity. That means that the cavity will be filled with sound. as well as the adjoining wall and up or down the framing members to the other floors of your house. A while back someone posted a thread on ceiling speakers and how it put a cramp on his HT use if his wife wanted to sleep upstairs. I can't believe there is actually a sub woofer on the market designed to use the wall cavity as the rear speaker enclosure. Now that's shake rattle and roll.

Some are designed with an air tight rear baffle. The sound performance will be more predictable (who knows what's in your wall). The sound should be more detailed as it will be coming only from the speaker and not the wall surface. Lastly the person on the other side of the wall will thank you.
Thanks for the insight. The setup will be in the basement, which is finished with drywall on studs. The studs are against the cement wall and don't even go up to the floor above, so I'm not too worried about transmitted sound or the next room (there isn't one). If I put the speakers in the wall, they will back up to fiberglass insulation. If this is the case, should I be looking for speakers that have rear baffles?

Don

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.