AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

Moving into a new place in a few weeks that is pre-wired for 6.1 (I think) 5 in-wall and 1 in-ceiling (center-rear in-ceiling because of a window) and I'm semi overloaded reading so many reviews/threads. My thought as it stands right now is I would do a 5.1 setup but I've been going back and forth on several setups and could use some feed back, surround setups are new to me so if I'm totally off please let me know. This will be used for both music and movies and wife wants my floor speaks to be lost in the move.

Room = 16x22

Receiver = Onkyo TX-SR605 (but plan on upgrading to TX-NR616 or similar towards the end of the year)

Budget $500-$700

Items I'm considering

Subwoofer :

BIC F12 $193 (have not really found a better option in this price range so far)

Speakers:

One thing I'm not sure of is if 3-way vs 2way speakers are important. I've read where people say to use 3 x 3way for LCR and 2way for rear's and others say just to use 5 x 2way and let the subwoofer do the rest.

1) Mono Kevlar 8'' (3 x 3way and 2 x 2way, but depends on the question above)

2) Polk RC85i x 5 ($149/pair)

3) HTD 3 x HD-W80 and 2 x HD-W65 ($423)

4) Bic HT8W x 5 ($139/pair)

5) Yamaha NS-IW660 x 5 ($139/pair)

6) Some combination of the above or speakers I have not considered

Thanks in advance everyone

Tom

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wanted to add a friend offered me a pair of Niles IW650FX as possible rear speakers for $200. These look crazy to me but he said they are wonderful rear's?

·
Registered
47 Posts
First, I'd like to welcome you to the forums and to let you know that I know exactly how you feel.

I posted for some info on some "In-Walls" and it seems as though the entire thread is a virus.

You get quite a few reads but not a lot of opinions on the subject.

Second, let me address your speaker choices based on my readings.

1) Mono Kevlar 8'' (3 x 3way and 2 x 2way, but depends on the question above)

- These are currently my first choice. They are big. Have great reviews (although almost entirely within the Owner's thread). The stats: 100/200W, 90db sensitivity, kevlar. Oh, and they are only $100/pair/3-way or $75/pair/2-way (AFTER shipping)

2) Polk RC85i x 5 ($149/pair)

- My original first choice. Big speaker, big name. Swivel tweeter. Max out at 100W. $150/pair/2-way.

3) HTD 3 x HD-W80 and 2 x HD-W65 ($423)

- I had never heard of these until I started searching for in-walls. They seem pretty good.

4) Bic HT8W x 5 ($139/pair)

- Has it all. Pivoting tweeter. High wattage. 3-way design. Inexpensive ($140 shipped).

- I just looked at them on Amazon. Mid and tweeter BOTH swivel. Nice. I have no idea where you found that price.

My order of your list: MP, Yamaha (if a good price), BIC, Polk, HTD

Now, I'll give you my humble opinions on your other question and tell you my reasoning.

I am going to go with 3-way speakers on my build. My thoughts behind this decison are:

(1) that, when I move out and rent my place to someone else, they can hook up a reciever without the need of a subwoofer and instantly utilize the space

(2) that I like to listen loud and I just couldn't pass up the higher wattage. I just got my Onkyo 818 that (I have read) will do about 120W when distributed to 7 speakers.

As for your chosen subwoofer, the BIC F12 seems good to me. Although, I did bypass it to look at the BIC PL200 before finding my way to Epik land.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Joshua! Avsforum does seem like a great community and I'm happy to start getting involved.

Your feedback helped me confirm what I thought about the 3way vs 2way. I most likely won't be moving/renting anytime soon but you did make me think of something I had not thought about which is installing the 3way's and skipping the F12 sub for a bit until I can afford to buy a Epik (this would also increase my speaker budget for now).

As for the MP vs Yamaha I was leaning towards the MP especially since I can buy them in singles but then I started to worry about my receiver only being 95w which would leave the MP's underpowered I think (?) at 100-200w.

What are you thoughts on dipole? A couple of days ago I had never even heard of them. My friend who's actually a home builder that has the Niles IW650FX for sale suggested doing 3 x MP or 2 pairs of NS-IW660 + the Niles for rears which still puts me in around budget.

One last and maybe a stupid question, the rear's would be installed on a exterior wall which is insulated. If I choose a speaker that's not enclosed should I be worried about the speaker at some point accidentally catching the insulation on fire if there was some malfunction?

Thank you again Joshua for the feedback!

·
Registered
19,542 Posts
3/way in-wall speakers will not eliminate the need of a sub. In general, most in-wall speakers

do need a sub > for good bass with movies and music. Some 2/way designs will out perform

3/way speakers. There are some poor 3/way designs out there. Also do not look at most of the

speaker specs, and think that what you see is what you will get.

A good 75/80 watt receiver, can drive a lot of in-wall speakers. A lot of the so-called rated 100

to 150 watt speakers, will compress and go crazy if you try to give them full power.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Jim, do you think I would be better off going with say 5 x BA CS 285 ($555) + Epik Legend? With the idea that I'm going to spend my budget on just speakers for now and add a Epik in a month or two I'm looking at other options. I'm trying to avoid a bad choice since I'm going to be cutting into my walls lol.

·
Registered
19,542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom35  /t/1415371/in-wall-subwoofer-advice#post_22137198

Thanks Jim, do you think I would be better off going with say 5 x BA CS 285 ($555) + Epik Legend? With the idea that I'm going to spend my budget on just speakers for now and add a Epik in a month or two I'm looking at other options. I'm trying to avoid a bad choice since I'm going to be cutting into my walls lol.

The Boston CS-285 is a good option, and I would save up for the Epik sub.

There are some CS-285 speakers here
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/BOSCS285/BOSTON-ACOUSTICS-CS285-8in-2-way-In-Wall-Speaker-Each/1.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Doh they only have two in stock but I did find them new for $105. I just realized though that you can't adjust the tweeter it looks like? I'm thinking this might be a problem since the pre-wires are about 9 feet off the ground and our heads around 4 feet. Here's a look at the room http://media.cdn-redfin.com/photo/86/bigphoto/918/4769918_8_2.jpg (not sure why I didn't think to include that before)

·
Registered
19,542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom35  /t/1415371/in-wall-subwoofer-advice#post_22137330

Doh they only have two in stock but I did find them new for $105. I just realized though that you can't adjust the tweeter it looks like? I'm thinking this might be a problem since the pre-wires are about 9 feet off the ground and our heads around 4 feet. Here's a look at the room http://media.cdn-redfin.com/photo/86/bigphoto/918/4769918_8_2.jpg (not sure why I didn't think to include that before)
Angled tweeters are nice - however, 9 ft up is not easy or fun.

Do you really want to cut holes in the wall - have you thought about on-wall speakers?

Once you cut holes for in-wall, you are pretty much fixed - and it is hard to re-arrange

things. Have you really ruled out other options?

·
Registered
243 Posts
yeah why you so stuck on In walls?? you shouldn't let the Wife try to make you eliminate your Box Speakers, cause once you do you can never go back!! And just cause the Plate are up high @ 9' doesn't mean you have to place them there.. You cant solder up an extension to it and drop it down lower to Ideal placement.. Remember its Low Voltage just use CL2 .. Have you considered Axiom?? In wall , on Wall very customizable, back Boxes and Made in Canada Vs China!! I rather have Canada over China Any day,,My $1500 B & W 7.3 Made in China?? WTF, that irritates Me!! Of Course USA even Better Like Triad!

·
Registered
47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom35  /t/1415371/in-wall-subwoofer-advice#post_22126856

Can I please get the site where you found these at this price?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1415371/in-wall-subwoofer-advice#post_22137163

3/way in-wall speakers will not eliminate the need of a sub. In general, most in-wall speakers

do need a sub > for good bass with movies and music. Some 2/way designs will out perform

3/way speakers. There are some poor 3/way designs out there. Also do not look at most of the

speaker specs, and think that what you see is what you will get.

A good 75/80 watt receiver, can drive a lot of in-wall speakers. A lot of the so-called rated 100

to 150 watt speakers, will compress and go crazy if you try to give them full power.
For audiophiles (like everyone on this site), of course a sub would be needed.

I only meant that my future tenants might like the fact that they wouldn't have to have one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom35  /t/1415371/in-wall-subwoofer-advice#post_22137102

One last and maybe a stupid question, the rear's would be installed on a exterior wall which is insulated. If I choose a speaker that's not enclosed should I be worried about the speaker at some point accidentally catching the insulation on fire if there was some malfunction?
I wouldn't be worried but, if you are, while the 12"x9" holes are empty, you could add a 2x4 brace across the top and bottom of the speaker space and seal it up nice.

I'm considering the same as my rears will also be on the exterior wall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingvfreak  /t/1415371/in-wall-subwoofer-advice#post_22137777

yeah why you so stuck on In walls?? you shouldn't let the Wife try to make you eliminate your Box Speakers, cause once you do you can never go back!! And just cause the Plate are up high @ 9' doesn't mean you have to place them there.. You cant solder up an extension to it and drop it down lower to Ideal placement.. Remember its Low Voltage just use CL2 .. Have you considered Axiom?? In wall , on Wall very customizable, back Boxes and Made in Canada Vs China!! I rather have Canada over China Any day,,My $1500 B & W 7.3 Made in China?? WTF, that irritates Me!! Of Course USA even Better Like Triad!
I just got back from BestBuy and their in-walls were about 9' off the ground (not to mention how close I was to that wall) and they sounded fine.

I do agree that you could move your hole down a little, if wanted, but I don't think it will be necessary. Play it by ear. If you have the additional length inside the wall, go for it.

·
Registered
19,542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom35  /t/1415371/in-wall-subwoofer-advice#post_22137102

Not a major concern - also, insulation acts like damping material to improve acoustics.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I would look at inwalls with sealed enclosures. This does make an enormous difference IMO. Monitor Audio has sealed speakers which can be had for $150 per speaker for the rectangular fronts and $125 for the round rears. Axiom also makes sealed front inwalls for about $150 per speaker.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts