AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so what do we think of the dayton titanic mkIII paired with the bash 500W, (both available from parts express)?

id like to put this in the wall, under the projector screen. any ideas for an enclosure? this will be used for music too.

my '94 buick regal has two infinity kappa 12's in a 2 cube sealed box powered by a rockford fosgate amp 275W x 2 @ 2 ohms. i am pretty satisfied with that sound, but i am hoping that this home theater sub will have better low frequency performance and perhaps even more volume. my friend has a JL w3 in a larger ported box getting 600W and his sub is noticeably louder, and much more powerful at the low end.

perhaps ported is the way i need to go? (ive never built a box)

is infinite baffle a viable alternative?

there is a deep bathroom closet on the other side of the wall in question. i can probably steal a foot (depth) of that space, perhaps 3 feet high...

please comment on sub/amp combo (i do not want to spend more, but would definitely listen to any rec's for less) and also include enclosure suggestions.

oh btw, recevier is kenwood vr-510 and speakers are nxg tech 8" round 3-way in-ceiling.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,154 Posts
I have a single Titanic 15 with the 1000 watt amp in my theater and it is currently my weakest link. In my size room (huge) it can't produce what I want. If I'm not careful I push it over the limit.

I am considering what else to build.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for posting guys.

kgvet: i was actually looking at the 12" mkIII, but regardless your comment was concerning the depth, correct? well i plan on cutting into the wall right in front of the bathroom closet that is on the other side. so i can go right through the 2x4 wall and into the back of that closet (which is quite deep).

big dc: wow i am surprised to hear that 1000W is a weak link! what are the dimensions of your room, and what speakers/amps are your sub complementing? as you can see from my original post, the rest of my setup is relatively modest. so i doubt that i will even need a sub/amp combo as powerful as the one i mentioned. but its always better to have too much than not enough, right?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Amp headroom is always your friend. Especially as you get lower into the frequency spectrum, each lower octave takes twice as much excursion to assume the same output, and that typically means twice as much power. If your amp can't supply the power, then it will clip the signal to your speakers, which is not a good thing. Speakers don't like square waves, or DC current very much...

IMO, Plate amps are generally good for small projects, and small rooms. They dont supply enough rail current to properly power a large sub woofer setup in a decent sized room.

Now don't take it the wrong way, there are plate amps out there that have been designed to make some serious power, but they are often so expensive, that it isn't feasible for most.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I'd use a Behringer EP 4000 amp to run that. Cheap and powerful.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you for the posts!

carter: i am surprised by your opinion of the amp i suggested... i definitely buy that headroom is good, but perhaps you are just coming from a whole different ball game of home theater. to give you a better idea of where im coming from, maybe it would help to include my opinion of my uncles sub. its an svs, 12", cylindrical enclosure, the medium height one. if i remember correctly, it has a 425W bash amp. i have never ventured to turn that sub up very much, but i am VERY impressed with it. that type of sound level is basically my goal. im not sure if you have any experience with svs subs or comparable units, but does this type of setup strike you as a weak sub solution?

regardless, what would you suggest?

fool: a link appeared for the amp you suggested and it took me here .

does this amp run off of 120V ac, or 12V dc? i couldnt tell from amazons description, but it looks like a car audio amp...

thanks again guys

·
Registered
301 Posts
Have you bought anything yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockton86
thank you for the posts!

fool: a link appeared for the amp you suggested and it took me here .

does this amp run off of 120V ac, or 12V dc? i couldnt tell from amazons description, but it looks like a car audio amp...

thanks again guys
That's from the AVS keyword advertising... it wasn't a link posted intentionally

·
Registered
352 Posts
I would look for a Behringer EP2000 amp, that is what a lot of people in this realm run for their subs, and it is a great option... I dont think you will need any more power than that to run a single driver, but it depends on what size sub you want to go with. I know of some subs that would laugh at that kind of power, too! Any idea where you want to go there?

I personally run a car amp in my house, it throws people off when they see my setup, and I do get some grumbling about it from few. One limiting thing my my setup was cash. Another part was the fact that this setup is not going to be in my house for very long. So instead of dropping 1000 dollars for a pro or home amp, I went with a 2500 watt car amp that cost me little over 300 bucks. It's half ohm stable, good for about 3600 watts RMS, and I had the power converter and batteries required to make it work. 12 volt or 240, it does the same job to me!

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have to second an IB setup. clean effortless bass, with the right size drivers for the room you are trying to fill.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
How big is your room? That is really the determining factor on how big of a setup you'll need.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
to all: thanks for posts, and yes definitely still on the drawing table. however, i think ive made up my mind about the sub/amp combo. sorry to say that its very conservative compared to some suggestions (and even more conservative than my original idea). cost is definitely a limiting factor, and parts express has the amp on sale till 2011. so if i have to get this stuff pretty soon, cost is definitely a problem!! but even more importantly, my goal is a very cost effective solution. and it sounds like these products will result in a great sounding sub. keep in mind, the rest of my setup is quite entry level.

sub: Dayton RSS315HF-4 12" Reference HF Subwoofer 4 Ohm

amp: Dayton SA240 240W Subwoofer Amplifier

so now the question is the enclosure. how can i get the best sound out of this combo?

fool asked about the size of the room. good question, sorry i omitted that in the first place. its 22' L x 12.5' W x 8' H. however, there is a large opening to the kitchen (wall removed) and theres another room off the kitchen. so as far as the sub is concerned, its probably seeing a room about twice the size.

i will try to get a video on you tube that shows the area im working with. at this point, im basically thinking that i can have a sub enclosure in the bathroom closet and just "poke" it through the wall into the living room. but how best to get the sound into the living room is my next question. in a sealed box, does the majority of sound emanate from the woofer? would a port in the front of the box (exposed to the living room) help to focus more energy to that side of the sub enclosure? would IB offer any advantages here?

some of these questions originate from my experience with my car subs. i have no idea where the sound is emanating from, i just know its coming from somewhere behind me! (again, thats 2 12's in a 2 cube sealed box) so if possible, i dont want energy from this sub to be wasted on the bathroom! at the same time, in case youre wondering, im trying to avoid using up any floorspace in the living room. im trying to keep most of this house versatile, because its very small! (1200 sq ft)

thanks again, and look for the vid link soon

·
Registered
352 Posts
With that amp in mind, and no IB, I would go with a fairly large ported box, that is tuned low. It will bump up the efficiency of the system to work with the limited amount of power you will be running. Ports will add quite a bit of gain to the sound of the sub around tuning frequency, and can also make the woofer play much lower than a sealed box. I dont know of the specs of the Dayton woofer, but with only 250 watts on tap for an open area room of that size, it might be a bit "underwhelming". My first choice for a room that big, is still an IB setup, but I am just crazy like that. Throw an 18" IB3 in the wall, and run a small pro amp to it, and I think you would be a lot better off. Wait and see what some others to have to say, though. There are some creative people on this board!

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Your going to be hard pressed to get much bass out of that setup with such a huge open area.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok, new idea. this sub: Dayton IB385-8 15" Infinite Baffle Subwoofer

just mounted in the wall, with an opening behind it into the bathroom closet.

same amp, the dayton 240W. the sub lists a power handling of 350W rms. do you think ill still bump pretty good with the dayton 240W? there is also a 240 with bass boost, same price. i figured i have enough adjustments to worry about toying with...

then theres the bash 300, then 500, and a dayton 500.

assuming im deadset on the 15" ib3, what do you all think the best amp is for it?

of course i have already been deadset on a few different ideas... but hopefully this is it.

just beautiful how easy the installation would be tho...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts