AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, guys,

I'm upgrading my system one section at a time, and I'm currently researching speakers. I have been looking at in-walls due to WAF, but they seem to be the Wild West of the audio world because there seems to be so much legend and so little hard information about individual product performance and direct comparisons.

Have any of you had any good experiences with in-walls, and if so, are there any brands/products you recommend? My budget is $300 max per speaker for 5 channels. Ideally, the center channel would be identical to the left and right as I intend to use an acoustically transparent screen or install the center just below. The room is about 12'x20' with 8' ceilings.

I'm looking for primarily movie duty speakers, but I will do a bit of music listening as well(everything from rap to classical). I'm replacing some old Energy bookshelf speakers which lacked in the midrange, so a good smooth frequency response is a must(duh). They'll be paired with 1 or 2 subs, so as long as there is ample useable sound down to at least 80Hz, I'm happy.

I live in the Portland area and I got a chance to visit Aperion and demo everything in their product line(before the Verus line was introduced). The Intimus 5T's almost brought tears to my eyes, particularly when I listened to Rachmaninov's Vespers. To my surprise, their Intimus 6 LCR inwalls came reasonably close to the 6T's in terms of midrange transparency, besting everything else in their lineup at the time. So, for lack of experience, the Aperion 6 LCR's ($224/ea) are sounding pretty good, literally. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
12,097 Posts
The one thing you will want to consider is having an enclosed speaker to prevent speaker loss:

http://www.cepro.com/article/how_to_...peaker_systems

If you really think about it, drywall just makes a very poor enclosure. Aperion may have some tips on building your own enclosure using mdf and potentially green glue or another type of accoustical glue. The key is building the enclosure with the right volume (too small or too large could impact the sound).

Or you could go with an engineered enclosed speaker. I own these and they will be behind an AT screen:
http://www.definitivetech.com/Produc...UIW%20RLS%20II

I demoed about a dozen in-wall speakers, and really liked the sound from these Deftech's. I was not able to listen to the Aperion's so could not tell you how they sound. I did like the sound of Triad, and Atlantic Technology speakers over the Deftech's but they cost considerably more and were outside of my budget.

One suggestion would be to spend more of your budget on your three main speakers and less on the surrounds. You can find the RLS II's above for under $400 each, or you can go with the RLS III's that can be found for right around $300.

But if you were happy with those Aperion speakers that may be the way to go.

·
Registered
588 Posts
ack_bk,

Great advice. X2 on the enclosures and the reallocation of funds toward the LCRs - you read my mind.

Utopianemo,

I am very happy with my Atlanic in-walls. Depending on your timeline, you may be able to find some B stock deals - but I would have to agree with ack-bk's advice. The Def Techs are also good speakers.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys,

Thanks for the helpful responses. Ack_bk, what were some of the speakers you auditioned?

Oh, by the way, the $300 per speaker was for the LCRs. I was planning on spending less for the rears. And I have been thinking lately about making an enclosure for the inwalls.

Since we're talking about MTMs, have you guys heard about recent tests that indicate the center channel usually does better vertically oriented to match the mains?

·
Registered
12,097 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopianemo /forum/post/0

Hey guys,

Thanks for the helpful responses. Ack_bk, what were some of the speakers you auditioned?

Oh, by the way, the $300 per speaker was for the LCRs. I was planning on spending less for the rears. And I have been thinking lately about making an enclosure for the inwalls.

Since we're talking about MTMs, have you guys heard about recent tests that indicate the center channel usually does better vertically oriented to match the mains?

I auditioned B&W, Paradigm, Niles, Sonance, Revel, Triad, Triad, Atlantic Technology, Deftech, and Speakcraft. I also have experience with RBH, Polk, and Klipsch in walls. I was originally budgeting more for my mains but decided to go with the Deftech's after I heard them and it opened up the budget to add a fireplace.

I really liked the Triad speakers (Gold LCR series) but will need to wait awhile to upgrade.

The center channel does do better vertically. This is how I have my speakers configured behind an accoustically transparent screen. You get noticeably better off-axis sound.

If you make the enclosure for the Aperion speakers definitely consult with them with regards to the volume of the enclosure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.