AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently finishing up a basement remodel that includes a media room for all purpose sports and movie watching, as well as some critical music listening. Split should be approx. 60/40 movies to music. I'm looking at installing in-walls in false columns front and back for a 7.1 system similar in form to what RBH does with their CineaSITE system:

http://www.rbhsound.com/cinemasite.shtml

I've been looking at Triad Silver LCR, RBH SI-760, PhaseTech CI-110, and Martin Logan Passage, however, most are only sold through custom installers and are hard to audition. Before I waste the time of several installers, I'd like to get some feedback on some of the models listed and see if I might be overlooking some other option that I'm not aware of. I like the idea of an in-wall with a sealed cabinet to minimize the effect of the columns I will build on sound quality. I'd also like to keep the cost to under $750 per speaker.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Eric

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I wouldn't bother with the Martin Logans, I've read enough about them to not be impressed. I'd also avoid the PhaseTech CI-110s, since they don't have a back box - or at least contact them to get the proper box volume when building into the column. Considering you're placing them in a column, I'd go with the Triad LCR/6s. The increased depth should give the woofer more breathing room (Paul?). You might also consider the lower model James Loudspeaker in-walls, they're about $950 each, but have a unique frequency adjustment to suite your voicing tastes in the midrange and lower treble.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lindahl,

Thanks for the reply. The only reason I was considering the ML's was because I liked the low volume detail of the tweeters, but I think they don't represent the best value.

I keep going back to the Triads, but I wanted to see if there was anything else I should be looking at that may be comparable. I have Totem Sttafs for my fronts and Arros for the rears in my upstairs system and would like something in the home theater that has natural mids and highs like the Totems.

I'll check out the James to see if I can get a listen.

Eric

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I know what you mean. There were a few Totems I didn't like, due to resonances, but other models have really impressed me. While not accurate, there's a certain warmth with some sweetness that is really nice.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Oh, I also forgot that ACI (audioc.com) can alter the design of some of their models to accommodate in-cabinet mounting. This would certainly work well for your in-column needs, and with the close-out prices you could get their impressive Essence models, which have been compared to Aerial Acoustics LR3/LR5.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I installed paradigm sa-35s in my system- I ended up installing them in columns vs. inwall and I think they sound pretty darn good. I ended up talking to a installer who has been doing this a long time and he suggested I confirm w/ paradigm how much cavity volume they designed the speakers to have. Armed with this info I created my column with these dimensions in mind- I always knew an in-wall was a compromise but I have to say the sound quality w/ the paradigms are as good as my previous Vienna Acoustic set up- to me.

As my wife has pointed out more recently my hearing is not what it once was- so I can not consider myself an audiophile, but my friends and family agree my system sounds pretty darn good- and I use it about 50/50 music- movies.

I have sa-35s in front, a cc-470 center, and sa-15 in ceiling for surrounds....

and you should be able to find a home theater shop somewhere close w/ this set up

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.