AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I've pretty much narrowed my LCR to the Chane A2rx-c for behind my AT screen but now I want to get rid of the Polks I bought for my surrounds.  I'm still in the designing/construction phase of my dedicated HT but I like the idea of having all speakers hidden which leads me to think I'd rather go with in wall speakers for the 4 surrounds.  Any reason why I shouldn't go this route?  I really don't want to spend much at all on these because I don't see the need for hundreds spent on a speaker that doesn't necessarily handle a lot of information (with respect to the front 3).  I can't even imagine a theater without surround sound, I'm not in any way diminishing the necessity of these speakers, I just don't want to spend more than a few hundred tops for all 4.

Just wanted an idea if anyone went with in walls WITHOUT space restrictions.  I have plenty of space to mount any type of speaker so space isn't an issue.  I've seen the GoldenEar in wall surrounds at my local Hi-fi shop but at $1k a pair that's a bit steep.  Jon at Chane says they have some surrounds coming so perhaps I should wait for them. 

Anyway, any ideas would be helpful. 

·
Registered
542 Posts
That's what I did. I used 4 Polk RC80i for surrounds. I ran some tests and there is very little "real" audio content from the surround channels in most movies. It's mostly helicopters, explosions, and other "effect" sounds.

I made 3 of Zaph's SR71 with full BSC ( http://www.zaphaudio.com/SR71.html ) for my mains behind the screen. I love them. I debated spending the $$$ and time to make more for the surrounds, but decided it wasn't worth it.

The only reason I can think of to use more expensive speakers as surrounds is if you have a large HT and feel that surrounds won't fill the space with sound. My HT is prolly about 14' by 22' with 9' ceilings and the in-walls work great.

Scott

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottS  /t/1523797/in-wall-surrounds#post_24517351

That's what I did. I used 4 Polk RC80i for surrounds. I ran some tests and there is very little "real" audio content from the surround channels in most movies. It's mostly helicopters, explosions, and other "effect" sounds.

I made 3 of Zaph's SR71 with full BSC ( http://www.zaphaudio.com/SR71.html ) for my mains behind the screen. I love them. I debated spending the $$$ and time to make more for the surrounds, but decided it wasn't worth it.

The only reason I can think of to use more expensive speakers as surrounds is if you have a large HT and feel that surrounds won't fill the space with sound. My HT is prolly about 14' by 22' with 9' ceilings and the in-walls work great.

Scott

Thanks Scott, this is pretty much what I have been thinking. My room is 14x25x7 so I just can't seem to justify spending lots on fancy surround speakers. Glad yours worked out well

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
I have a 5.1 system at the moment, which consist of Front Left / Right: Arx A3rx-c, Center: Arx A2rx-c, and Surround Left/Righ: Arx A3. My living room is somewhat small 15'x15' with vaulted ceiling going from 10' to 15' with an open floor plan leading to the kitchen and front door.

I went from a 7.2 to a better 5.1 set up, but I'm thinking of using in-wall speakers for the surround back Left/Right. Let us know which in-wall speakers you go with! I was thinking of going with HTD, but then I don't want to spend too much on them, and I believe monoprice has some good prices for in-wall speakers.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I too thought of HTD, they look good but I think I could probably spend less to achieve the same results. I lived with small satellites as surrounds for years and never felt like I needed more so I suppose almost any speaker will work for me. Was just wondering how many out there were using in walls.

·
Registered
7,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypucks  /t/1523797/in-wall-surrounds#post_24518659

I too thought of HTD, they look good but I think I could probably spend less to achieve the same results. I lived with small satellites as surrounds for years and never felt like I needed more so I suppose almost any speaker will work for me. Was just wondering how many out there were using in walls.

That's the other option I was looking for. I've been looking at the Mirage nanosats, but those are on the expensive side. Another option would be the Klipsch satellite or Energy minis.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s  /t/1523797/in-wall-surrounds#post_24518702

That's the other option I was looking for. I've been looking at the Mirage nanosats, but those are on the expensive side. Another option would be the Klipsch satellite or Energy minis.

I would like to have the same line of speakers throughout the theater but that would be more for my ocd than anything else ha. I feel subwoofers are the most vital component to recreating that cinema feel we all like so I spent the most $ there but surrounds I have a hard time shopping for since I could probably just close my eyes and pick one at random.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts