AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang,

I'm looking for your opinion on the sound quality of different in-wall speaker manufacturers. How about ranking, in order, the following manufacturers? Please feel free to add your own favorite brands and where they fall in your list. Thank you.

(alphabetical)

Artison

Atlantic Technology

B&W

Jamo

Martin Logan

Niles

Pioneer

Polk

Thank you again for your input.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
You forgot Triad. Which would start the list off as #1.

2nd from my POV would be PSB speakers (PSB CHS80) not sure if they are made any more though.

Klispch THX in-walls would be up there too.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/19648985

2nd from my POV would be PSB speakers (PSB CHS80) not sure if they are made any more though.

Absolutely agree............

There isn't a better in wall speaker than Triad Gold Monitors.............

I thought the PSB CHS80 was an in-cabinet speaker.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys. I will add Triad to my research. Could you please help me with the manufactures I listed? I'm very curious as to other people experience/perception of those brands. Thank you.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr0ject2501 /forum/post/19649518

Thank you guys. I will add Triad to my research. Could you please help me with the manufactures I listed? I'm very curious as to other people experience/perception of those brands. Thank you.

Their relative merits may shift in ranking depending on your goals, whether cost, fidelity, directivity (surrounds vs mains). Back boxes are essential for best results. Some are incorporated, like Triad, and others can be added, like B&W or Atlantic--just for examples.

So, whacha doin' with them?

Given no boundaries, let's not forget Wisdom.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler /forum/post/19649560

Their relative merits may shift in ranking depending on your goals, whether cost, fidelity, directivity (surrounds vs mains). Back boxes are essential for best results. Some are incorporated, like Triad, and others can be added, like B&W or Atlantic--just for examples.

So, whacha doin' with them?

Given no boundaries, let's not forget Wisdom.

Look Rodger, I'll have none of your logic!

You're right, I should add context.

Fidelity is the most import. To be used as L/R in a theater or for mains in a 2 channel setup for music. Cost of course is always a factor. Assume $1,500 per speaker is out of bounds. To be paired with a mid ranged Denon, Onkyo, Marantz or comparable.

What would you want your friend, neighbor or client to have?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
always had good luck selling people martin logan in-walls, particularly the passage.

I also like the b&w in-wall options that i've heard, they just seem more placement sensitive without having the adjustable tweeter setups

·
Registered
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr0ject2501
Fidelity is the most import. To be used as L/R in a theater or for mains in a 2 channel setup for music.
If they are to be used in a dedicated theater, why are you considering inwalls?

When I was planning our dedicated HT, I also considered inwalls. I did research and what I found was that there are numerous drawbacks to using inwall speakers. It's very hard to design an inwall that will give you the fidelity, soundstage and imaging that you can get with freestanding speakers. The inwall speakers that approach the same level of performance are at least three times as expensive as their freestanding equivalents.

Based on what I found, I quickly abandoned the thought of using inwalls. I'm glad I did. The company from which I bought my HT speakers is coming out with a new product. While I'm happy with what I have, I'm now in a position to move to another level up in speakers, with the new speakers represent. Upgrading will be very simple. It wouldn't be so simple with inwalls, especially if the form factor changes.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray

RBH should be on that list and their higher end stuff exceeds Triad in my opinion. I do not think a Triad Gold can't compete with this.
http://www.rbhsound.com/si6100r.shtml I have not heard the 6100R, but I have heard the 6100 and I listen to a set of 760's every day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts