AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an almost finished attic HT and just received my projector. I have 2" conduit running from behind the kneewalls to just above the projector. Above the projector I have an access panel, so that I can reach up and put a wire through the conduit. So there is a 16" gap between the ceiling drywall and the conduit. Do I need to run in-wall video cabling (right now component video)? I couldn't find any mention of in-wall ratings on the video cables I was looking at. Also I do have permits and am getting the work inspected.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm not positive... but I think low voltage wiring does not apply to most electrical codes. Like you don't need a "box" if you want to put a switch in a wall... the wires can dangle, etc.

Of course, it is cleaner and nicer to have a conduit, and if you have open walls that is what I'd do. It could also protect your cables down the line. For example, if you do the cloverleaf corners, or secure your cabling so it doesn't get ruined and/or bend... there is no way to replace it without opening the walls.

Also note, I'm sure you already know, but that little "loop" at corners (like a cloverleaf) for each turn is a good idea.

I'd call your city building department and ask them if it is required... but probably not.

JMHO

BigRed

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.