AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finishing my basement with a home theater, large rec room, and workout room. I am going to have a Pioneer Sc35 in the theater and speakers in the rec room and and workout room for music only hooked up to the 2nd zone on the Sc 35. I will have one in wall volume control in the workout room with 2 speakers and one volume control in the rec room. Because of how large the rec room is I want to install 4 in ceiling speakers and have them all hooked up to the one volume control in the rec room. I believe the volume controls are made to be hooked up to 2 speakers so my question is..."If I double up the speakers running through the volume control, will there be a serious effect on the sound"? Keep in mind it will be for music only. I will be using 14guage speaker wire and either Polk or Speakercraft in ceiling speakers. I have not purchased the volume controls yet but will be getting a basic rotary style. Any help would be appreciated as I need to start this project next week!

·
Registered
23,247 Posts
I'm no expert, but I would think a volume control meant for two speakers would be a problem with four speakers. Not only for the controller, but also for the amp.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been looking at some in wall volume controls with matching impedance. They allow up to 16 pairs of speakers per control and they adjust the impedance to make the receiver think it is 1 pair of speakers at 8 ohms. So if I do one VC with two pairs of 8 ohm speakers and another VC with one pair of 8 ohm speakers(both VC running off the same channel as zone 2), does anyone know if this should work and what setting I would need to put the two VCs at to make it think it is at 8 ohms?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Just wondering if you found a solution here. I am helping a friend hook up her house and she wants whole home audio. I think the Sono Connect Amp is the way to go but with 50w amp to drive three sets of speaker it would be too much.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
You just set the volume control (VC) to 2x impedance matching and it will adjust the load the amp sees from 4 ohms to 8 ohms.

B.

PS You would leave the other VC set to 1x for the pair of speakers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts