AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -

Undertaking to run the in-wall wiring for my HT room before dry wall goes up. Room is not going to be dedicated HT - basement living/family/TV room where my HT equipment happens to be.

I want to future-proof myself so wondering 2 main things:

1) Pre-wire for 11.2 possibilities, or is this a waste?

Plan to start out with 5.1, and definitely go to 7.1 in near future. Wondering if it is really worth it to bother pre-wiring for front and rear heights and wides (ie. 11)?

Planning to use 12 AWG, but unsure whether to go for more expensive 4-conductor or stick with 2-conductor. I want to have the flexibility to bi-wire or bi-amp in the future with better speakers, so was planning to run 2 runs of 12/2 to the fronts and center.

Do/would you ever bi-wire or bi-amp the side and rear surrounds? (And also heights and wides if I go there) If I should also plan for this, then it probably makes sense to just run 12/4 for the whole room, rather than running 2 strands of 12/2 to each position.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2011 /forum/post/20846527

1) Pre-wire for 11.2 possibilities, or is this a waste?

Well, pre-wiring for anything is so cheap compared to adding it later, if you think you might want it - go ahead and prewire. Note that if you're running 4-conductor or 2 cables to your L/R locations - you might be able to just route those cable through the 'height' locations on their way to the L/R spots. Then, you could choose later to re-task a pair for those channels instead of bi-wire...

Quote:
Plan to start out with 5.1, and definitely go to 7.1 in near future. Wondering if it is really worth it to bother pre-wiring for front and rear heights and wides (ie. 11)?

The issue with >5.1, especially in non-dedicated theater rooms is speaker placement. If you think you have spots for all those speakers to go without ruining the aesthetics of the room, certainly doesn't hurt to prewire...

I did 5.1 in my family room because the room didn't have placement for 7.1. I did 7.1 in my theater because IMO the >7 is becoming just a gimmick, and I don't think we'll see much content created for it (everything will be derived by our AVRs to fill in those channels.)

Quote:
Planning to use 12 AWG, but unsure whether to go for more expensive 4-conductor or stick with 2-conductor. I want to have the flexibility to bi-wire or bi-amp in the future with better speakers, so was planning to run 2 runs of 12/2 to the fronts and center.

A single pair of 12/2 is plenty. If you want to bi-wire, I'd run two cables because you'll pull them from the same spool (cheaper), and as I mentioned above, if you can route the cables through the 'height' channel spots, you could use the 2nd pair for either job...

Quote:
Do/would you ever bi-wire or bi-amp the side and rear surrounds? (And also heights and wides if I go there) If I should also plan for this, then it probably makes sense to just run 12/4 for the whole room, rather than running 2 strands of 12/2 to each position.

Can't see any reason to do that. I don't off-hand know of any surround speakers that would allow bi-wiring (but they probably exist), but even if you're a bi-wire fan/believer, doing the surrounds seems like overkill...

Oh, but for future-proofing - run lots of cat5/cat6 to your equipment location(s), and some flex conduit so you can add cables in the future - it's the only true future-proof method.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Or you might use 14AWG/4. So if you bi-wire, you have two 14AWG pairs. If you don't then you double up the wires and have an 11AWG pair.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.