AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the downsides of in-wall vs. freestanding loudspeakers, but I'm leaning towards in-walls for my living room HT setup for aesthetic reasons. I have a dedicated 2-channel setup in another room, so ultimate musical performance isn't really an issue. The speaker system in the HT system will be used for movies, casual (i.e. not particularly critical) listening, and background music. I've done a bunch of research here and elsewhere and have narrowed my search down to the brands listed in the title of this post. Anyone have any experience with the in-walls from the named companies (was thinking of the Signature series B&Ws) and care to compare them? Unlike "normal" speakers, it certainly isn't easy comparing the sound of in-walls, so any feedback from actual owners would be appreciated.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Chasin:

I was in your shoes a few weeks ago and you will find this forum very, very helpful. I've had in-walls throughout my entire house for background music but never as the mains for a HT setup so I was reluctant to say the least.

Anyway, after extensive research and having a close business relationship with an installer I finally decided on the Paradign SA-35s. No, I have not heard them (sorry) but they are beasts for in-walls. I'm still waiting on my TV to arrive (61" Sammy DLP) before my contractor can begin fabricating. I have some Paradigm all-weather speakers and I love their sound. My other "background music" in-walls are SpeakerCraft but I wanted to raise the bar of quality of my HT in-walls and I think Paradigm does that.

I'm sure EVERYONE will say you must listen to a set before you buy but it will be close to impossible to re-enact your home acoustics at a store.

I'm just crossing my fingers these in-walls will uphold the reputation of Paradigm.

From what I've read on this board your other options are also very good.

Good luck,

Dom

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I absolutly love my Linn Sekrit in walls. I paid for the engineered enclosure for them and that makes a big difference. Triad makes excellent sounding speakers - I didn't use them because I had to go on wall for the rear 4 speakers and I wanted to match brands to the fronts.

I was in a store last weekend listening to speakers for my dad and they had a JM Lab in wall that was incredibly beefy looking and sounding. Fully engineered inclosure was part of the package, not an option - just like the triad.

If you look hard enough through the companies websites, maybe even calling their headquarters, you should be able to find local dealers where you can listen to all of your choices. I listened to the Linns and Triads at different Custom HT type of places and just this weekend to the JM Labs at an esoteric HT store.

Good luck,

E. J.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I went with B&W inwalls for my theater and have gotten alot of compliments about the sound in my theater. I am happy both in terms of performance, price and looks.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
B & W Cinema Series are great! i used to sell them. I own them.

Dyn-o Mite!:)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback! I'm going to have a listen to the JM Labs and, if possible, the Linn Sekrits before making any decisions (already heard the B&Ws and thought they sounded pretty good). Choosing a set of in-walls is a tough decision, because they aren't exactly going to be easy to upgrade later ;)

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
There was another AVS member who had the Linn In-walls and he said he was quite happy with their performance. He had a website with install photo's and all.

My only experience with in-walls have been with Dynaudio and that was at the dealers place but they were decent for surround speakers and have a very high W.A.F.....

$0.02

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Grooms
There was another AVS member who had the Linn In-walls and he said he was quite happy with their performance. He had a website with install photo's and all.
Hi Tom ;) Check out the link in my signature.

E. J.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I own the Paradigm Reference in walls and can highly recommend them. Their off axis highs, which is very important for in-walls, is excellent.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ejfiii
I absolutly love my Linn Sekrit in walls. I paid for the engineered enclosure for them and that makes a big difference. Triad makes excellent sounding speakers - I didn't use them because I had to go on wall for the rear 4 speakers and I wanted to match brands to the fronts.
Triad makes on wall speakers too.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Thanks for the plug, ntode. ;) We're actually in development of onwall versions of three of our existing fronts, at $700, $1000, and $2000 each. We showed the $2000 one at CEDIA, but we won't be in production until early next year. Um...we do have twenty-five enclosed inwall speakers, though...

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
ntode, I believe that may be the same guy I was talking about. He had a website that had installation photo's and all that good stuff. Might be worth a search........

$0.02

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
LOL! I am on Tom's ignore list, so he can't see my posts. Anyway, the Triad on walls were too large for my space. I tried though.

E. J.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Quote:
Anyway, the Triad on walls were too large for my space.
Dewd, we don't HAVE any onwalls yet...

Let me know their dimensions, though, wouldja?? :D

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Thanks Paul. Like I said, I tried. I guess I got mixed up after looking at so many speakers.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
;)
Quote:
Dewd, we don't HAVE any onwalls yet...
LMAO, I must have missed that post, but it's good stuff none the less.........

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Hey look, the audiophiles are done comparing thousand dollar cables so they are coming out of their holes for a little fun. LOL!

·
Registered
16 Posts
james loudspeakers make great high end inwalls, shallow depth and full depth there sub got sub of the year award and it comes in a shallow depth inwall if you can listen to them they are great

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Have also read and heard great things about Legacy Harmonys. Good friend just put them in his HT, but I haven't heard them yet(he's in MI). Don't what your budget is...these are $3000 msrp pair.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I almost forgot about these. I go to Springfield, IL a few times a year and always stop by Legacy Audio. I was up there in July and was impressed the Harmony's. They don't image or go as deep as the focus 20/20, but for "off the floor" loudspeakers, they do a lot of things right. Oh, and their gorgeous....

http://www.legacy-audio.com/2003/images/harmony.jpg

and 94 db efficient

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.