AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the worst case scenario, if SonicBlue fails to sell ReplayTV and the box is no longer supported, the consensus is that monthly boxes could become doorstops, and even lifetimes would have problems due to an inability to keep the clock on the unit accurate and the lack of a program guide.


BUT -- if all bets are off, and this could all be done without legal repurcussions, would some of the brilliant minds in this forum be able to develop a workaround to allow a) the Replay to keep time through checks with a server and b) contact a user-supported server that hosts guide information -- through either a hack of the data on the hard drive, some kind of bios change, or even a hardware mod that could be easily done?


In a sense, could the user group, at least until someone came along and bought ReplayTV assets, support the system on its own?


Or...is this just wishful thinking?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,951 Posts
Maybe we should place a bid?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by infrared
In the worst case scenario, if SonicBlue fails to sell ReplayTV and the box is no longer supported, the consensus is that monthly boxes could become doorstops, and even lifetimes would have problems due to an inability to keep the clock on the unit accurate and the lack of a program guide....
No, the consensus on this board is that the geniouses around here would have a workaround pretty fast. How about searching for any of about a million threads that have been posted on this subject in the last few weeks.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Maybe I missed the thread, but in the WORST case, (WORSE actually that they wonk work at all) maybe SB would activate the monthlies or a senerior similar to the AUDRYs would allow a mirror server to do something...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by asinshesq
How about searching for any of about a million threads that have been posted on this subject in the last few weeks.
Thanks for the tip, asinshesq.


To be honest, it's easier to make wisecracks than to suggest answers to the real problem on this and many other message boards about locating previous discussion on certain topics. There are frankly so many new threads, and keyword searches bring up so many threads that it can be hard to discover the best one.


Perhaps there should be sub-sections within this Replay board so that there is a common place for discussion about the obvious topics of "life after bankruptcy" and whatever else comes along. Would this be very difficult to administer? Or -- perhaps limit the kinds of members that can post new threads (although I can see some problems with this solution).


Alternatively, instead of wisecracks, perhaps senior members like asinshesq could offer links to particularly relevant threads, and then the extraneous discussion would just sink to the bottom of the list.


Let's end the 'how about searching for an old thread dummy' comments which frankly intimidates a lot of new members and leaves postings to those of a more experienced class like asinshesq, and focus on a solution.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6,490 Posts
The 'how about searching for an old thread dummy' is painting the helpful folk here with an extremely broad tarbrush. If you really bother to check, you'll find that whenever a question is asked where the answer may be buried or is so seldom referred to, that we do, in fact, provide a link to the relevant thread.


However, when it's a frequently asked question, one where the answer has been provided countless times, sometimes on a weekly or even daily basis, it becomes obvious that the petitioner hasn't exercised any diligence in helping him/herself. When a short perusal of the forum as well as a cursory search would provide the answer, then the line has to be drawn.

Do you always expect others to do your work for you? Just what is it that makes your time more valuable than mine?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by infrared
Let's end the 'how about searching for an old thread dummy' comments which frankly intimidates a lot of new members and leaves postings to those of a more experienced class like asinshesq, and focus on a solution.
It's meant to intimidate! Well, not really. It's meant to hopefully make new users THINK/RESEARCH before they post. This has been discussed so many, many times [and not just since SBLU's bankruptcy]. Do a little work first, then ask your question.


It's not that we dislike new people, but it's annoying to rehash the same thing over and over and over again.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,686 Posts
When someone comes here and posts a question or news item that's been covered a zillion times before, it's just like they're saying "My time is more valuable than your time. Please do my research for me."


If I take the time, it'll only be time taken to poke a finger in an eye.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
218 Posts
I have seen the billion reposts of the same question about bankruptcy or whatever. And people should search before asking. But they don't. So, why bother replying with a "Do a search first before posting" post? It certainly takes more effort than ignoring them.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6,490 Posts
Because we really don't know, on a case-by-case basis, whether it's just ignorance, which can be fixed, or laziness, which cannot.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6,207 Posts
Forums are not "live chats", and for a good reason. You have the ability to scan through lots and lots of past conversations which likely answer your questions! So let's join together and use this feature to our advantage and simply find out if something has been discussed, or your question answered, before going through the hassle of creating an all-new thread on the subject.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BaysideBas
Because we really don't know, on a case-by-case basis, whether it's just ignorance, which can be fixed, or laziness, which cannot.
put those hands together with a dash of chicken little & you've just described half the newbies

(i'm kidding, calm down people)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,951 Posts
The biggest problem I find is that because there are so many new posts, the good ones that might be a bit slow die early. On the flip side, the search engine here is quite picky--only one search every 30 seconds even if it doesn't return any results! Who has time to wait and wait and wait to find something?


Cheers
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by infrared
...To be honest, it's easier to make wisecracks than to suggest answers to the real problem on this and many other message boards about locating previous discussion on certain topics....Alternatively, instead of wisecracks, perhaps senior members like asinshesq could offer links to particularly relevant threads, and then the extraneous discussion would just sink to the bottom of the list....
Excuse me???? Did you read my post?? Did you actualy read it before replying??? In case you don't know how to scroll up in a thread (it's a bit harder than searching), here's what I said:


"No, the consensus on this board is that the geniouses around here would have a workaround pretty fast. How about searching for any of about a million threads that have been posted on this subject in the last few weeks."


I actually answered your original question in my post, and I told you that if you wanted to see what others had to say on the subject there were lots of threads you could read. No, I didn't do the search and find a link for you. I figured this would be a great time for you to learn how to do that.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
218 Posts
What does asinshesq mean? Or at least how do I pronouce it in my head when I read it?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jmaver
What does asinshesq mean? Or at least how do I pronouce it in my head when I read it?
dunno, but something tells me it ought to have 2 "s" 's after the "a" instead of just one.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jmaver
What does asinshesq mean? Or at least how do I pronouce it in my head when I read it?
you may pronounce it Ah-Lahn
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top