AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having problems with inaccurate start times on VCR and auto-tune events. The problem happens when I leave the 6000 set to an OTA station. Apparently, when the box is set to an OTA station, it doesn't get time updates from the satellite. As a result, it relies on the clock in the 6000, which is horribly inaccurate. If I tune to an OTA station at 6:00AM in the morning and have a timer event at 4:00PM that afternoon, the 6000 will start the recording about 4 minutes late. If I leave the box tuned to a satellite channel, the recording starts on time.

Anybody else see this?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I could live with that if I had ANY OTA HDTV channels to watch. We have non in my area and probably won't for another year of so. Count your blessings!

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
I have seen another bug. If I leave the 6000 on a local HD signal, when I go to the guide, I get an awaiting signal message. It takes 2 to 3 minutes for the receiver to work again. Anyone else have this problem?

SM

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I get the "acquiring satellite signal" delay, but it is more like 30 seconds, not two or three minutes. I think the cause is related to my timer problem. When tuned to an OTA station, the box isn't watching the satellite stream. As a result, it can't get updates to the program guide. When you press the guide button, it must watch the stream long enough to build at least a minimal part of the guide. You will see the same delay after running a "check switch", and for the same reason.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have the same annoying guide delay problem. I haven't actually timed how long the acquiring satellite signal message lasts, but I'd guess it's well over a minute. Also, about 2/3's of the way into the wait time, the displays shows all sorts of horizontal banding which lasts until the unit finally acquires the signal--very annoying.

Regards -- Steve

------------------

STOP DFAST, BOYCOTT JVC, LONG LIVE HDTV

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Now I understand. I guess the box isn't fast enough to do OTA HD and watch the guide. I am a very impatient person, so I have no ability to decern 30 seconds from 3 minutes without timing it, it's all "way too long" for me!

Best Regards,

SM

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a trick to avoid getting the "acquiring satellite signal" message when I've been tuned to an OTA channel for a while. What I do is to simply channel surf to the satellite channels with the up/down buttons. When you first hit the satellite channels, you will see the banner for each channel will say "Info not available". As you continue your surfing, you will eventually see program names on the banner. At that point, enough of the data is loaded that it is okay to hit the "guide" button. It probably takes the same amount of time to load the guide, but at least you are surfing rather than staring at a message on the screen.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Whenever I want to record OTA off the 6000, I tune to the channel I want on the 6000 and use the VCR timer to start and stop the recording. I tried using the EPG once and it thought the program was 2 hours long, even though it was only 1/2 hour long.

Ben, your trick about using the transparent browser works well. I have been on OTA as little as 5 minutes and when hitting the EPG get the dreaded "acquiring" box, though it is only about 30 seconds. I never get it when using the transparent up/down browser.

------------------

"I want my HDTV Set!"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.