AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in business with my first HTPC. As expected, the biggest area of confusion wasn't actual construction of components but once it's on an projecting an image, what should the display properties be? I put Powerstrip on the machine and have browsed numerous threads but am unsure about appropriate settings. I've traditionally only used 4:3 monitor displays but the image is coming from a Sony 1292 CRT onto a 106" 16x9 (1.78:1) screen. I created a resolution in powerstrip of 1280x720 for the windows desktop at 60Hz. Am I done? The graphics card is an ATI 9700.

I'm using it with PowerDVD to watch DVDs plus some HTPC gaming (my 3yo loves Microsoft Train Simulator on the big screen!).

Is this an appropriate setting or should I be looking to set it up a different way?

Thanks-

Warren

·
Registered
570 Posts
First of all, congrats on your successful build. As for your setup, it sounds like you're doing pretty well. I'm not familiar with FP systems (I have a Sammy DLP TV), but I also use the 1280x720 resolution, as it matches the hardware in the TV. I was able to do this on a Radeon 9600 with Cat 3.4 drivers (but not 3.6, strangely enough) and no Powerstrip. If you have PS working, though, more power to you.

Some people are fans of different software DVD players, like TheaterTek (which I love), or using filters like ffdshow in other players to maximize DVD playback. If you have a lot of CPU horsepower, you can mess around with filters, but if not, something like TheaterTek will still work fine.

Otherwise, it seems like you have all the hard parts finished!

Cheers,

RDaneel

·
Registered
779 Posts
First,

Nice projector. Before the G90 series, yours was the top of the line. it is capable of producing a much higher resolution picture than 1280x720 at 60hz

I believe it's top end is 2000 x 1600 with a max vertical refresh of a crazy 150hz

Why don't you try 1920 x 1080 progressive at 72 hz. The catch at this resolution is your DVD player (hardware or software) will probably stop working with macrovision disks as they are limited. You need to download a third party program which can disable the macrovision and allow the picture to be scaled this high.

Watching microsoft train simulator at 1080p on a 9" crt projector is almost like watching an early version of a pixar film. If I were you, I would push your unit a bit more, and see what it can do.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Also, goto the CRT forum and ask if anybody has the same PJ and what the best resolution for it would be (many have their PJ's hooked up to a HTPC or scaler that they would need to program)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great! Thanks for all the info! :)

Warren

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.