AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was hard, but I skipped this during commercial theater release in anticipation of purchasing blu ray to watch in my theater. Really looking forward to the movie overall, and it is supposed to be no slacker in the bass department. I thought I would get a thread going since it seems that this is going to be a fun movie to put through the paces.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
652 Posts
Interesting, I saw it here in Vegas in an IMAX theater. I thought there were great bass moments in this film. The whole time I was thinking I can't wait to hear this at home. I'm looking forward to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,850 Posts
I too saw it at an IMAX and purposely sat in the back for good LF modal weight. Also, I've got to toward the back as to not be overwhelmed by screen size. Anyway, it was good in theater and upon leaving the show and contemplating the LFE, nothing really stood out. That, in my opinion, was a product of the dense storyline that kept my wife and I enthralled throughout. I like to see it again so I can ease the load on my processor and listen for and enjoy some of the LFE.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt /forum/post/19600806


The LFE didn't go very low, but there was a lot of it. I wasn't impressed with it. I watched Cloverfield after watching Inception, and the LFE was way better. I also think that Ralph's ears and eyes might be going out on him giving this movie the ranks that he did.

That's just silly. One of the best things about having a reviewer who you read a lot is over time you get a sense of how the reviewer's priorities differ from yours. BeEcause we're all a little different. Maybe Ralph is less obsessed with the very bottom octave than many on this thread, maybe not. If you think he is less deep bass focused than you, you take that into account when reading his reviews The only way to get a review that you will agree with every time in every respect is if you write the review.


But that's no reason to disparage Ralph. I don't agree with all of his taste in movies, but I look forward to his reviews because I know where he's coming from. If I want to know about very deep bass or subbass in a movie, I'm not looking to Ralph's reviews, I"m looking at the sticky thread on movies with bass.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
After watching on regular DVD there was only one scene that threw some low bass. For those who saw it there is a scene when leanardo gets pushed into the bathtub. Other than that the LFE was ok on the rest of the movie.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,184 Posts
I really liked this movie. The LFE was very strong at my local THX theater so I hope they do the same at home(not HP the VLF's). The bass reminded me of TDK at the same theater. Having said that the bass in Tron Legacy trailers is stronger than everything I have heard in that theater.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHAz /forum/post/19601984


That's just silly. One of the best things about having a reviewer who you read a lot is over time you get a sense of how the reviewer's priorities differ from yours. BeEcause we're all a little different. Maybe Ralph is less obsessed with the very bottom octave than many on this thread, maybe not. If you think he is less deep bass focused than you, you take that into account when reading his reviews The only way to get a review that you will agree with every time in every respect is if you write the review.


But that's no reason to disparage Ralph. I don't agree with all of his taste in movies, but I look forward to his reviews because I know where he's coming from. If I want to know about very deep bass or subbass in a movie, I'm not looking to Ralph's reviews, I"m looking at the sticky thread on movies with bass.

We also have to remember that Ralph is using SVS PB13 sub or subs and depending on tune can only go so low. He won't even notice ultra low stuff.


Notnyt, you are using THT's so the super low stuff will be missed(midbass will kick arse). I am talking below 15hz here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,802 Posts
I'm quite excited to hear this one at home. The theater I saw it in had the most horrible audio I've ever heard in a film (cranked up so loud and shrill that it actually hurt our ears), yet I was still wrapped up in the story. Anything will be an improved presentation for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater /forum/post/19602004


I really liked this movie. The LFE was very strong at my local THX theater so I hope they do the same at home(not HP the VLF's). The bass reminded me of TDK at the same theater. Having said that the bass in Tron Legacy trailers is stronger than everything I have heard in that theater.

I can't remeber what movie I got from Netflix, but the Tron Legacy trailer was awesome, visually and sound wise. Its going to be hard to wait to see, I probably will have to check out at the local IMAX.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooskinny /forum/post/19601991


After watching on regular DVD there was only one scene that threw some low bass. For those who saw it there is a scene when leanardo gets pushed into the bathtub. Other than that the LFE was ok on the rest of the movie.

At least someone else who actually has the movie can correlate my findings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHAz /forum/post/19601984


That's just silly. One of the best things about having a reviewer who you read a lot is over time you get a sense of how the reviewer's priorities differ from yours. BeEcause we're all a little different. Maybe Ralph is less obsessed with the very bottom octave than many on this thread, maybe not. If you think he is less deep bass focused than you, you take that into account when reading his reviews The only way to get a review that you will agree with every time in every respect is if you write the review.


But that's no reason to disparage Ralph. I don't agree with all of his taste in movies, but I look forward to his reviews because I know where he's coming from. If I want to know about very deep bass or subbass in a movie, I'm not looking to Ralph's reviews, I"m looking at the sticky thread on movies with bass.

The fact he gave the movie 100 for visual, when even my wife noticed compression and noise and said something about it, leads me to not have any faith in his reviews. I tested this on multiple displays which are calibrated to make sure I wasn't having a problem with my projector (RS10).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater /forum/post/19602017


We also have to remember that Ralph is using SVS PB13 sub or subs and depending on tune can only go so low. He won't even notice ultra low stuff.


Notnyt, you are using THT's so the super low stuff will be missed(midbass will kick arse). I am talking below 15hz here.

I'm not even talking ultra low sub 15hz stuff here. The bass was monotone and mostly in the upper frequency ranges of LFE in many of the "big bass" scenes. Cloverfield was the next movie I watched after Inception, since I wanted another movie with a good soundtrack to test out my surrounds. The bass from that was worlds better than Inception. I played inception at reference with the DTS-HD MA track and ran the bass hot by 5-6db. While the audio was excellent, the LFE, though plentiful, was not. I'm awaiting someone else with an adequate system to watch this and leave feedback. Unfortunately, I did not see this in theaters, so I cannot compare theater vs BD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt /forum/post/19604100


At least someone else who actually has the movie can correlate my findings.




The fact he gave the movie 100 for visual, when even my wife noticed compression and noise and said something about it, leads me to not have any faith in his reviews. I tested this on multiple displays which are calibrated to make sure I wasn't having a problem with my projector (RS10).




I'm not even talking ultra low sub 15hz stuff here. The bass was monotone and mostly in the upper frequency ranges of LFE in many of the "big bass" scenes. Cloverfield was the next movie I watched after Inception, since I wanted another movie with a good soundtrack to test out my surrounds. The bass from that was worlds better than Inception. I played inception at reference with the DTS-HD MA track and ran the bass hot by 5-6db. While the audio was excellent, the LFE, though plentiful, was not. I'm awaiting someone else with an adequate system to watch this and leave feedback. Unfortunately, I did not see this in theaters, so I cannot compare theater vs BD.

How would you compare it to Avatar?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
99% of movies seem pretty weak when compared to Cloverfield. Even if not any real low bass, if it has a good amount of 20-200 to make up for it I will be happy. I will be looking for that compression and noise on the calibrated RS-35, from what I have seen in trailor I am looking forward to the dynamic contrast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,850 Posts
I've seen Cloverfield and thought it was great,...what scenes in specific did you think rocked the LF?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH /forum/post/19604369


I've seen Cloverfield and thought it was great,...what scenes in specific did you think rocked the LF?

The first few seconds of Cloverfield (intro logos / black screen) had better bass than just about all of Inception =]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater /forum/post/19604219


How would you compare it to Avatar?

I still haven't sat down to watch Avatar. I saw it in the theater, and I have it at home. but it was too soon for me to watch it again. My family was over and watched Avatar, and it shook the house pretty good, but I wasn't in room so I can't do a comparison here.


EDIT: I'm taking some sweeps now. There were still a few scenes with some good bass, but a lot of them just stood out I guess as not having much under 40hz.
 
1 - 20 of 120 Posts
Top