AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on using my Yamaha RXV-1400 to pre-pro my home system. My bass system is going to be somewhat unconventional. So I am very much interested in the new Velodyne SMS-1 room E.Q. processor.

My L+R main speakers are the 3 way tower Infinity 600s. These have a side mounted 10" CMMD woofer I plan on biamping. A Fosgate FAA 1000.5 will power the HF section of the 600 pair along with the center and surround Kappas. For the LF 10" mains the chosen sub amp is the H/K Citation 5.1 bridged to 300 watts to each woofer. My reason for this arrangement is a smaller room, 15x11, and my desire to eliminate the floor stump in the corner.

I hope and think the SMS-1 will help the room response.

Now about crossovers points, cascade problems and such. How to set-up initially and how much experimentation? Thanks

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm on vacation so...

My 52" JVC D-iLA is on the short side of my 15x11 room, with a viewing distance of 8 ft. Yea, the dreaded couch against the back wall syndrome.The main equipment is in the far right corner. I will be mounting the Citation amp under the Kappa center, so as to use short speaker wires and to increase looks. The SMS-1 processor box would stay with equipment and run to the Citation amp. Do I run mono or stereo RCA audio cable between them?

·
Premium Member
13,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbehr
I'm on vacation so...

My 52" JVC D-iLA is on the short side of my 15x11 room, with a viewing distance of 8 ft. Yea, the dreaded couch against the back wall syndrome.The main equipment is in the far right corner. I will be mounting the Citation amp under the Kappa center, so as to use short speaker wires and to increase looks. The SMS-1 processor box would stay with equipment and run to the Citation amp. Do I run mono or stereo RCA audio cable between them?
You run a single mono cable from the LFE/subwoofer output of your receiver to the SMS-1 input. Then you run a single mono output from the SMS-1 and "Y" it to each side of the bridged Citation amp. This will give you dual-mono bass and both subs will be EQ'd by the SMS-1 together.

(This assumes you are connecting the HF inputs of the mains and the rest of the speakers to the receiver's speaker terminals, setting all speakers to small and crossing over at 100 Hz in the receiver. These settings will route all bass to the "subs" and anything over 100 Hz to the mains and surrounds. The 100 Hz crossover is the inherent crossover of your Kappa's and so should be duplicated by the pre/pro.)

There are some compromises in this system. First, your "subs" only go to 30 Hz. This is great for music, but you'll be missing the lowest LF effects in movies. Even the SMS-1 can't force your subs to put out sounds they are not physically capable of making. In fact, you could probably set the subsonic filter inn the SMS-1 to 25 Hz. This would remove the lowest bass signals from the amps, increasing their headroom and lowering their distortion.

Second, you'll need to place your subs where they work best for L/C/R imaging, not where they work best for bass. You'll be sacrificing some room gain and possibly some FR smoothness, (which hopefully the SMS-1 will help you get back). Overall, these are not terrible compromises, but you should be aware of them nonetheless.

Craig

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have two M&K subs from my previous setup. They are the some of the smaller models

K-9 and an older MX-70. The SMS-1 having multiple sub outputs I could wire a M&K up and move it around the room watching the graph change in theory, no?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.