AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Banned
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The good news:

Fox just announced the following titles which can be preordered from amazon (minus the 10% discount currently of course)
:

Silence of the Lambs (remember, they're releasing MGM titles now)

The Thomas Crown Affair

Ice Age

Dances with Wolves

Mr. & Mrs. Smith

Dodgeball

Hoosiers

Now here's the HILARIOUS part, all but Silence of the Lambs are $35.99! So we can assume they will be at least $39.99 at B&Ms.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st/10...e-date&x=6&y=6

Of course it's possible amazon will discount those prices in the coming weeks, but they've already taken off $5 so something tells me that's it.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
That pricing is starting to get out of control. Fox is going to price themselves out if they aren't careful. Titles at that price will make my buy less titles. At $35 it had better be a keeper.

Mainstream isn't going to be making the move to HD media until these things are regularly priced below the $20 mark.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Yeah I finally broke and bought Kingdom of Heaven for 34.99 +tax at BB just to see what all the hubbub was about. I can tell you that I wont be buying any more at that price. You can get alot of HD DVD's at Amazon for 19.99 with the newer ones being 24.99. 34.99-39.99 is just plain nuts. Although some HD DVD's do that same thing with combos costing 39.99.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Very few movies are worth owning at that price.

Thank the maker for Netflix!

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
At these prices, they can totally forget any form of mass adoption. It's almost like the Seinfeld episode where George went against every instinct he had and suddenly became successful at everything. My advice is for Fox (and Sony, for that matter) to start going against their instincts.

I own both formats, but only buy HD-DVDs because 1) they're generally cheaper and 2) they have more titles that I personally would watch more than once. BD is fine for rentals for me, and at these prices I'm very glad that I can rent them from Netflix. If the Blu-ray camp truly believes that software and studio support are going to win this war for them, this is definitely the wrong way to go about it.

Look forward to the end of this year and into next year, when most people will have at least maybe even heard of these formats. They start looking into buying into one of the two formats. If software prices remain static (I know they probably won't, but bear with me), the average person is going to see probably 200-300 titles in both format, one with an average price of $20 and one with an average price of $30, and the hardware that plays the $20 discs is generally $100-$250 cheaper to boot. With the number of titles available, which format do you think they'll choose?

·
Registered
530 Posts
I would be surprised if they didn't lower the price down to the normal ~27 (for fox titles) by launch.

It isn't like it's rare to have a preorder price be dropped before launch... amazon only charges you the price it releases at (if it's lower), regardless of the price it was when you preordered it.

I'm not really sure there is anything to be concerned about at this point. There's been a few times when I preordered a BR movie and had the price drop before release (like on a ~30 msrp title, they had for ~27 and then have it drop to ~20 right before release -- which would be what will likely happen here.. 10% off initially and then falling to the normal 30% off).

·
Registered
1,761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fettastic /forum/post/0

But amazon discounted them to $27.99 before now.

Ah, I don't buy from Amazon. I get them through DVDEmpire which has them for $27.99.

Anyway, Silence of The Lambs now has the 30% discount to $27.99, so they're probably adjusting the prices.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
blu ray will win the war with those video game prices.....

wow...

·
Registered
662 Posts
OUCH! Those prices are out of control.

I don't think this is what the price will be for BD disks in about a year. This is the pricing FOX came up with to drain the wallets of early adopters.

Nice, lets punish the guys that are supporting your format because you can get away with it.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I've been noticing this a lot more as of late. It appears many of the recent blu-ray titles are on a higher pricing platform than HD DVD and I wonder if it's a sign of production cost or corporate greed?

Kinda sucks b/c I've been on the fence about getting a blu-ray player, but if it means higher software prices, I'll likely stick with upconverting on the HD-A1.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
DVDEmpire has all the Pre-Orders for $20.00 to $30.00. Amazon seems to almost always be pricey for Blu-ray. So go to DVDEmpire.com for the lower prices.

~Josh

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I think there's another thread on the Amazon pre-order prices, but again... it's just pre-order pricing. When the films become available, they won't cost this much.

Take a look at Kingdom of Heaven for an example. That's a title that is indeed $39.99 list and in the B&M, but sells for $26.99 on Amazon. I imagine that most of those titles will be in the same +/- ~$25 range when they release. On the side, FOX has always been on the high end for media pricing.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Not that its cheaper then amazon or anything, but I picked up KOH as my 1st blu ray movie in December at BB for $27.00. Then I didn't look at the price of Devil wears prada and when the cashier rung it up for $34.00, I decided that my wife could do without that movie and put it back on the shelf.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.