AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not only is Europe (87% Blu), the US and Japan dominated by Blu-ray, but it looks like India is starting on the same path.


http://www.screenindia.com/fullstory...ntent_id=15924


CDs and DVDs may soon become passè as a new format of data storage called the Blu-ray disc offers high end data storage solutions...

OU'D better be seated as you read this; soon, your DVD collection maybe redundant. A new player is now available that's pegged as a step better than the DVD. Welcome to the world of the Blu-ray disc.


Like the DVD and the CD before it, the Blu-ray disc is a data storage medium that may usher in a new era of information management. At a basic level, it's a matter of size. While a standard CD can store about 700 MB of data and a DVD about 4.7 GB, a single layered Blu-ray disc can store up to 25 GB, and dual-layered Blu-ray disc can store up to 50 GB of data. Data storage capabilities are tremendous especially when you can backup your entire hard drive on just one or two discs says Gautam Kulkarni, CEO of a media consultancy firm.


Besides this, the Blu-ray disc is also becoming an additional medium for several international film studios who have already started releasing movies on this format. Sony, Disney and Fox are releasing 2006's biggest films in High Definition quality on this format.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asj2006 /forum/post/0


Not only is Europe (87% Blu) ...

Looks like you deceptively used a single week's numbers (and the best week which wasn't even the most recent week) in order to claim that Europe is 87% Blu. Is that what you did and if so, why would you try to deceive like that?


As far as India, I'm sure HD DVD has their own plans for there and we'll have to see.


--Darin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 /forum/post/0


Looks like you deceptively used a single week's numbers (and the best week which wasn't even the most recent week) in order to claim that Europe is 87% Blu. Is that what you did and if so, why would you try to deceive like that?


As far as India, I'm sure HD DVD has their own plans for there and we'll have to see.


--Darin

That 87% is since the PS3 European launch ...not just one week. It was taken from this article:

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/ne...s-boosts.phtml
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyHD /forum/post/0


That 87% is since the PS3 European launch ...not just one week. It was taken from this article:

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/ne...s-boosts.phtml

That link says:
Quote:
However, in the week after PS3 was launched in Europe, Blu-ray discs accounted for almost 87% of all HD disc sales.


In the period since 23 March, Blu-ray discs have consistently out sold HD DVD's rival product by a significant margin.

In the latest week that the figures report, Blu-ray discs outsold HD DVDs by a factor of more than three to one.

The 87% was clearly stated as for one week (and not the most recent week, which would not have been 87%, or they could have said "more than 6 to 1").


--Darin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 /forum/post/0


That link says:

The 87% was clearly stated as for one week (and not the most recent week, which would not have been 87%, or they could have said "more than 6 to 1").


--Darin

So, blu-ray has been outselling Hd-DVD in europe by a factor of 3:1 (75% BD) to almost 87%..and your point would be?


The point is that Blu-ray clearly has dominated Hd-DVD sales (AGAIN) after the intro of the PS3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asj2006 /forum/post/0


So, blu-ray has been outselling Hd-DVD in europe by a factor of 3:1 (75% BD) to almost 87%..and your point would be?


The point is that Blu-ray clearly has dominated Hd-DVD sales (AGAIN) after the intro of the PS3.

My point is that a person of integrity would own up to the fact that their "Not only is Europe (87% Blu)," was deceptive, based on what that article said. Things along the lines of, "But my point is ..." aren't excuses for knowingly posting false information here, which is against the rules in case you didn't already know that.


And even at that, it didn't say it was 75% to almost 87%. It said the first week after the PS3 came out was almost 87% and the last it was more than 75%. There isn't anything in there that says the 75+% was the worst week since the PS3 came out, and using the oldest data because it was the highest number isn't right.


If you want to have credibility around here, you should own up to it when you post false information and not try to blame the person who points it out.


--Darin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 /forum/post/0


My point is that a person of integrity would own up to the fact that their "Not only is Europe (87% Blu)," was deceptive, based on what that article said. Things along the lines of, "But my point is ..." aren't excuses for knowingly posting false information here, which is against the rules in case you didn't already know that.


And even at that, it didn't say it was 75% to almost 87%. It said the first week after the PS3 came out was almost 87% and the last it was more than 75%. There isn't anything in there that says the 75+% was the worst week since the PS3 came out, and using the oldest data because it was the highest number isn't right.


If you want to have credibility around here, you should own up to it when you post false information and not try to blame the person who points it out.


--Darin

1. That number is taken directly from the source, which I also posted. So how exactly is it FALSE information?


2. Since we have two data points (beginning and end, 87% and 75%), then I'll use those two.


3. I own up to when I'm wrong. I do not own up when the data i posted is directly from the article that i also posted.


4. Any way you look at it, and unless you have data to show otherwise, Blu-ray IS dominating Hd-DVD in europe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,736 Posts
Harry Potter is exclusive to HD DVD.


I love how warner is semi-neutral.

The HP box set, is probably going to HD DVD only, at least for the first year.


What is the date for The Matrix on BD?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner /forum/post/0


One word: Krishna.

Another: HD discs will be irrelevant in India for quite some time. DVD has hardly started to replace VCD and VHS.

Plus, very few Indian customers even in US know what a good quality original DVD IS! Most Indian stores here either rent pirated copies just because they cost less or they make a DVD-5 copy at home and rent them! And customer still pay full rental for those pirated copies as they only care of SEEING THE MOVIE!


So, it's not encouraging yet for the market.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,947 Posts
Recordable BD / HD DVD Media should be banned in India to curb potential piracy of HD titles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner /forum/post/0


One word: Krishna.

Another: HD discs will be irrelevant in India for quite some time. DVD has hardly started to replace VCD and VHS.

Probably true...it's not like HD has been storming the barracks here in the US either because of the format war...however, it's nice to know that around the world, it's Blu-ray that is becoming dominant, so if HD does survive it'll very probably be the blu-ray version.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asj2006 /forum/post/0


1. That number is taken directly from the source, which I also posted. So how exactly is it FALSE information?

I doubt your reading comprehension is so bad that you think an article stating that the first week after the PS3 came out was 87% and the latest week was better than 75% means that:


"Not only is Europe (87% Blu), ..."


is true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asj2006 /forum/post/0


I own up to when I'm wrong. I do not own up when the data i posted is directly from the article that i also posted.

The article does not say what you claimed and just because it contained "87%" does not mean you can choose to use that any way you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asj2006 /forum/post/0


4. Any way you look at it, and unless you have data to show otherwise, Blu-ray IS dominating Hd-DVD in europe.

I didn't dispute that, but it doesn't make your claim true.


I think your responses here are pretty sad as it would be unbelievable that you couldn't comprehend how your original claim was deceptive.


--Darin
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top