AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been brought up before, but a co-worker came up to me today, knowing that I am the "home theater guy" and showed me what he just got yesterday in the mail. He got all three Indiana Jones movies as well as Star Wars 4, 5 and 6. They are on Paramount Labeled DVD's, have DTS sound on them... I have not seen the images yet, or heard the soundtrack, but...

He told me that he ordered them from a US based web site that he will send me the link to, but shipped from Malasia.

Anybody know if these are just converted from Laserdisk or from a high-def broadcast?

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
The same thing holds true for all the "Academy award screeners" that are floating around the market.....DTS sound, nice cover art, interactive menus. The real screeners have no cover art, but the Title logo and a list of for your consideration nominees. No menus and no DTS sound.

If it seems to good to be true...it usually is.

Ron

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tony, I never would have thought to go to the remotecentral forum area for this... Good info over there, that answers all the questions I had about it, and everything is as I had assumed.

My co-worker is still happy with his purchase.... I didn't steal any thunder, nor was I trying to.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I am interested in this,can you send me a link the site. thanks for your help and time.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Get my hopes up and then slap them to the ground.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry Tox...

You can still buy them, the guy I work with said he paid $69 for all six movies and said it is definatly taken from laserdisk. He also told me just now that he switched from DTS to pro-logic and it sounded better. I don't really understand that, but whatever....

He is happy.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
At least we know, via Martin Blythe at Paramount that we should see the Indy Trilogy by 4th quarter this year. No need to waste money on bootlegs.

Peace Out~:D

·
Registered
27,313 Posts
You all should invest in a LD player. It'll be along time before these arrive.

I recently watched the DD version of The Empire Strikes Back and as much as I liked it as a kid, it is looking pretty dated (I suppose it should, Star Wars is a quarter century old).

With the recent coming of the Lord of the Rings and it's fantastic look and story, the Star Wars Trology is less exciting to me. It is actually a little boring when compared to LOTR. The Laser set I have satisfies plenty good.

Unfortunately, the Indiana Jones series never made it to a discrete audio track and though newer, looks more dated then the Star Wars trilogy.

I hope Paramount is serious about releasing it in anamorphic (a DTS track would also be nice).

·
Registered
479 Posts
I read on digitalbits that I.J. will be released with the release of the 4th movie in a two years (I think). They also mention that Speilberg has no intention on releasing IV, V, VI on DVD right now. Maybe once Speilberg needs that extra billion or so to retire.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Did anyone see the SouthPark episode where the kids are pissed at Spielberg and Lucas for modifying their movies? My lord, was it funny!!!

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
Patrick:

It was terrific. For those that didn't see it....

They (being Lucas etc) all melted away like the Nazi's when they opened the box at the end of Raiders. I wish they would rerun that episode.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sbaillar
I read on digitalbits that I.J. will be released with the release of the 4th movie in a two years (I think). They also mention that Speilberg has no intention on releasing IV, V, VI on DVD right now. Maybe once Speilberg needs that extra billion or so to retire.
I read that he was waiting until the first 3 have all been released on DVD to release IV, V, and VI on DVD. That way they are kinda released in order.

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SVonhof
Sorry Tox...

You can still buy them, the guy I work with said he paid $69 for all six movies and said it is definatly taken from laserdisk. He also told me just now that he switched from DTS to pro-logic and it sounded better. I don't really understand that, but whatever....

He is happy.
Yep, if I remember right the THX logo opening even says Laserdisc on it. The two channel track is definitely better and the DTS isn't really DTS. I think it's just a multi-split audio stream (and it's a leaky one) with the volume level pumped up and a DTS flag for the player and it's pretty screechy and distorted in places.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Don't assume the SW bootlegs are bad just because they're from laserdisks. The transfer I've seen - and there are several - is nothing like true DVD, of course, but it still blows VHS out of the water. Widescreen picture with nice detail but muddy colors, and stereo sound that is some of the best Pro-Logic material I've heard. You literally hear spaceships whizzing over your head.

If you're enough of a fan, it's worth it. Funny how episodes I and II are reference quality DVDs...

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SVonhof
...He also told me just now that he switched from DTS to pro-logic and it sounded better. I don't really understand that...
This is because the only audio source format available to the people making these bootlegs is DD 5.1. They take the DD5.1 and make a DTS version of it. Because of this, it can't possibly sound better then DD5.1 - at the very best it will sound identical.

Normally DTS and DD tracks are made from uncompressed originals - this is why DTS can often eek out more performance (more detail, better imaging, etc) then DD.

The bootleggers will never be able to get their hands on the original master tapes so they have to use what's available to them. Lucas will most likely never do DTS - given the close ties that DD has with THX (and he owns THX).

The only reason they've recreated a DTS track is because buyers are ignorant! It's a selling feature: Give the buyer something that the other seller isn't offering.

Kal

P.S. I've seen a couple of different versions of these bootlegs now on my system and some of the better ones actually look fairly acceptable. Pretty close to LD quality.

·
Registered
388 Posts
We're talking stereo pro-logic sound, not DD 5.1. Since the source is stereo, it's better to cut out all the processing and reencoding to DTS, and let your receiver do Dolby Pro-Logic on the stereo sound. Are there any bootlegs with true 5.1 sound?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.