AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i thought tonights game wasn't all that great looking[as far as sharpness goes] compared to other games i've seen on espnHD[especially last friday nights nba game which was stunning imho]anybody else think it wasn't as good either?

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Yeah it was HD. I'll tell you what. Espn HD is making me a believer that 1080i is in fact superior to 720p. Every CBS football game and HDNet basketball and hockey game look better than anything i see on ESPN. I thought it was pretty soft all around with little detail. Poor job, good game

·
Registered
129 Posts
I thought they did a decent job. As a Purdue alum (rats!) I've watched a lot of Purdue-IU games on TV over the years. For whatever reason, they have a terrible camera position in that building and always have. It wasn't all that uncommon to see fans arms and heads in shots over the years.

There was lots of good detail in the crowd even from that high shot, which you could never see on any SD broadcast...

Craig

·
Registered
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by talbain
Yeah it was HD. I'll tell you what. Espn HD is making me a believer that 1080i is in fact superior to 720p.
I agree that this was a sub par broadcast for ESPN, but I don't believe it's a 720p issue. Some of the most stunning HD I've seen has been on ESPN or ABC in 720p. I think Craig might have a point about camera angles. Maybe that has something to do with the poor broadcast quality, but I still believe that 720p can be as good as or better than 1080i for live sporting events.

Lee

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I saw some strong EE against the flooring.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
And I'd be remiss if I didn't bring up the fact that they STILL seem intent on keeping that (**&^@ bottom line ticker going across the screen. I WILL not watch another ESPN-HD event that doesn't have one of MY teams playing until they drop that thing

Will this change when they have an HD studio/control room/board to eliminate crap like that?? :mad:

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I haven't noticed too much, but ESPN doesn't put that stupid ticker on the bottom during NBA games right? Either way it is just retarded, I would imagine that most people that have ESPN also have ESPN 2. If they are that hard on for a score they might as well flip over.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by drhill
I haven't noticed too much, but ESPN doesn't put that stupid ticker on the bottom during NBA games right? Either way it is just retarded, I would imagine that most people that have ESPN also have ESPN 2. If they are that hard on for a score they might as well flip over.
Not sure about the NBA games. The one game I saw I don't *think* I noticed any ticker on the bottom. It just doesn't make sense to have that thing down there. Unless of course they'll stop doing it when they have a dedicated control room for their HD feeds.

Of course, it would be nice if someone from ESPN actually responded to ANY of the e-mails I've sent them through their website. Does anyone have an e-mail to a Decision Maker at ESPN (ala Stephanie Campbell at D*)???

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
At the risk of getting my butt kicked..why do you guys hate the ticker so much? And frankly, if it's on the SD show, why would they even think of dropping it on the HD show? Nothing will change when their facility is totally HD. If they wanted to drop the ticker now off the HD show, they could easily do it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by talbain
Yeah it was HD. I'll tell you what. Espn HD is making me a believer that 1080i is in fact superior to 720p. Every CBS football game and HDNet basketball and hockey game look better than anything i see on ESPN. I thought it was pretty soft all around with little detail. Poor job, good game
I agree. I'd like to see a game on a 720p TV then I'd have more confidence saying 1080i is superior.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Vidonic
At the risk of getting my butt kicked..why do you guys hate the ticker so much? And frankly, if it's on the SD show, why would they even think of dropping it on the HD show? Nothing will change when their facility is totally HD. If they wanted to drop the ticker now off the HD show, they could easily do it.
For me, the ire lies in the fact that I'm expecting to see a game in 16:9 widescreen....wanting to SEE the whole court if you will. NOT see crap going across the bottom. Not having to give up an inch or 2 on my 50" RPTV...and moreso an inch on my 17" LCD HDTV. Bordering on inane stuff sometimes moving across the bottom. It was the same way during College FB games. I don't want to be distracted if you will. Someone on one of the forums commented how they "read enough newspapers" during the day or spend enough time reading while at work....they don't want to "read" while watching TV....or being entertained by pretty pictures on a nice TV :eek:

That and the wee bit of a burn in issue bothers me....

YMMV

·
Registered
768 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jaypb
For me, the ire lies in the fact that I'm expecting to see a game in 16:9 widescreen....wanting to SEE the whole court if you will. NOT see crap going across the bottom. Not having to give up an inch or 2 on my 50" RPTV...and moreso an inch on my 17" LCD HDTV. Bordering on inane stuff sometimes moving across the bottom. It was the same way during College FB games. I don't want to be distracted if you will. Someone on one of the forums commented how they "read enough newspapers" during the day or spend enough time reading while at work....they don't want to "read" while watching TV....or being entertained by pretty pictures on a nice TV :eek:

YMMV
Agreed. For me, it simply detracts from the boadcast. If I want scores I can get that during commercials by switching channels. Just like having alogo is a PITA, the score crawler reduces the quality of the broadcast for me.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DDisney
Agreed. For me, it simply detracts from the boadcast. If I want scores I can get that during commercials by switching channels. Just like having alogo is a PITA, the score crawler reduces the quality of the broadcast for me.
More to the point.....if you are a D* sub, compare the aesthetic beauty (how's that for REGAL PHRASEOLOGY?) of an HDNET broadcast (NHL/CBB/CFB/can't comment on NBA) to an ESPN HD CBB/CFB/NHL broadcast.

IMHO, visually, there's NO comparison. There's very little "crap" on the screen with HDnet. ESPN has too much Crap. I believe in advertising they call it "busy". The ESPN-HD screen is too busy.

Kind of like those "enhanced" NFL ST broadcasts.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jaypb

That and the wee bit of a burn in issue bothers me....

YMMV
I agree. Digital age gamblers like myself have the wireless laptop on the couch hitting refresh on all the scores. We don't need that stinking ticker tape.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by high defilicious
I agree. Digital age gamblers like myself have the wireless laptop on the couch hitting refresh on all the scores. We don't need that stinking ticker tape.
See. EVERY phase of sports and entertainment is now high tech...

:D

For me, I just pop the ole' 31" RCA on that's next to the RPTV and put on ESPN2/ESPN News if I want scores at the same time ;)

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
last nights nba game looked much better than the college game did...now that's more like it espnHD

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Regarding the BottomLine during the HD games.

I wrote ESPNHD:

Love the fact that you are starting to show more games in HD,

but the stretched non HD stuff has to go. Also, most people who have

the ability to view HD really want to see all that HD has to offer, so get

rid of the BottomLine please.

They responded:

Thank you for your e-mail. We have shared your comments with the

appropriate personnel for ESPN HD.

Currently, ESPN HD is a simulcast service of ESPN. Until ESPN HD is a

24-hour, 7-day-a-week network of original 16:9 high definition

programming, we are converting and stretching the 4:3 programming not

originally produced in 16:9 to fit the format. We are doing this for

consistency and to protect the integrity of our various feature

components, such as our BottomLine and 28/58 news inserts, and various

studio updates that will continue to be produced in 4:3 until the ESPN

Digital Center opens next year, even during events produced in 16:9.

Sincerely,

ESPN Viewer Response

Not clear if the BottomLine will go away.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dm145
Regarding the BottomLine during the HD games.

I wrote ESPNHD:

Love the fact that you are starting to show more games in HD,

but the stretched non HD stuff has to go. Also, most people who have

the ability to view HD really want to see all that HD has to offer, so get

rid of the BottomLine please.

They responded:

Thank you for your e-mail. We have shared your comments with the

appropriate personnel for ESPN HD.

Currently, ESPN HD is a simulcast service of ESPN. Until ESPN HD is a

24-hour, 7-day-a-week network of original 16:9 high definition

programming, we are converting and stretching the 4:3 programming not

originally produced in 16:9 to fit the format. We are doing this for

consistency and to protect the integrity of our various feature

components, such as our BottomLine and 28/58 news inserts, and various

studio updates that will continue to be produced in 4:3 until the ESPN

Digital Center opens next year, even during events produced in 16:9.

Sincerely,

ESPN Viewer Response

Not clear if the BottomLine will go away.
I must've sent 3-4 e-mails over the last 6 months or so....none even got a reply back from what I can remember. Anyone have Bryan Burns e-mail address? (He's ESPN'S VP of Strategic Business Planning/Development) His name is usually the one I see quoted whenever ESPN has a press release or a trade show/conference appearance.

:confused:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.