AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Further to my recent posting about buckets of fraudulent credit cards from Indonesia, and several attempts by Indonesians to give me these stolen card numbers, I had a call from Visa today.

Apparently the police busted a fraud ring down there, and 'several' arrests were made.

I couldn't help but smile. Too bad that a few crooks are giving Indonesia a bad name, but it sounds like at least a few of them might be out of the running for a while.

Curt

·
Registered
359 Posts
Curt... did you hear about those guys in Montreal last week - busted for Credit Card Scams - they managed to steal $40Mil before getting caught.... When I saw the story on the news it reminded me of the thread here that talked about all scam artists in Canada coming from Montreal... it made me laugh...(just a little chuckle)

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Canada is a haven for scam artists because the cops REFUSE to do ANYTHING unless its a HUGE crime. I had a talk with a very rude and unconcerned cop in Vancouver who flat out told me NO he would NOT do ANYTHING about a ripoff by a resident of that city(nipperdog music on ebay or Tak Eng sold me a Runco processor he guaranteed would work with my projector and it didn't, and he disappeared). A totally different response than I got from a US police department when I encountered a similar scam. They visited the scammer the same day and I got a refund immediately as a result of their intervention. Canada is a good place for crooks, our cops have been reduced to tax collectors staked out on the highways waiting to take your money, unconcerned by anything else.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Paul

You just gave me an idea. By the way are you interested in purchasing a new car? I have one for you cheap and it is guranteed to work. Honest I promise. Cash in advance of course.

Steve

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, I agree, if it's a civil matter, then the cops tell you to deal with it in a court. Locally a lot of courts are shutting down due to budget cuts, so the wait is insane...

Curt

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I guess that is why they say cash is king. Nothing beats cash in hand for the item you are selling.

Makes me wonder if there would be a break down of the system if there is no enforcement of the rules.

Deron

·
Registered
411 Posts
Yeah, I was getting several emails a week from these Indonesian scam artists wanting to buy some of the projectors I was selling. They offered me $200 more than the asking price plus full shipping costs if I would take a CC. I told them that everyone was on to them and that I was forwarding thier email to the Police. Maybe my threat made them turn themselves in......Steve.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I just read a newspaper article that white collar crime is now becoming much more common here in the United States. Its the best business model for the criminal because the payoff is better and the consequences are much less. Even your caught, high dollar fraud is only going to get you a short stay in a light security correctional facility plus a small fine. Not near as serious as robbing a bank or gas station.

·
Registered
888 Posts
So. all you criminals and criminal wannabes out there, go to school and get your college degree so that you to can cash in on the fastest growing segment of the crime economy - white collar crime.

Me, I am only interested in golden parachute crime, I need to get me some of that!

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmmm, your name sounds vaguely... INDONESIAN!

(Just kidding! I couldn't help myself! DOH!)

Curt

·
Registered
359 Posts
Jah;

I was just reading an article in an outdated (last year) time magazine about Parachute clauses ...some of these where nuts... like the CEO of Mattel (the toy comp.)... basically she got fired and walked away with $20mil in severance and about 34Mil in stocks... $54Million for doing a bad job!... WOW!

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shane, that sounds like most of our politicians!

Curt

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The damn b*stards are still at it of course! Got an email almost identical to all the others wanting to buy my XG 110 on eBay.

I emailed back: I'm overstocked. Let me send you a Barco 1209 and Marquee 9501LC at no charge for you to try. I trust you.

Funny, he never emailed back...

Curt

·
Registered
336 Posts
Greetings from Indonesia,

I'm Indonesian, and this kind of thing really make Indonesia such a bad bad names, and make me very angry that they operate (whether they are Indonesian or not) and take advantage of Indonesia current economic and political (read almost lawless) situation.

Curt, I hope they capture those b*stards.

In personal level, this kind of fraud also make my credit card almost useless in the Internet. I have purchased several goods from the Internet (I even bought my NEC XG135LC from AVS Forum!), but the process was too cumbersome when using credit card. Indonesia's credit card has already in the black list, does not matter if you are a paying customer and have a valid credit card. Some times I gave up and pay by bank wired instead.

Anyhow, I hope this not happen to you again Curt.

PS : All right! I'm officially a senior member of AVS Forum!

Regards,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.