AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have any experience using indoor antenna for receiving OTA local HDTV?

what's the maximum range that these things work? (and pull in a good signal)? is it station dependent or distance from transmitter or what?

any help would be appreciated...

i am interested in going the hdtv route, but don't want the hastle of installing an outdoor or attic antenna...

thanks!

·
Registered
200 Posts
slateef,

Based on my experience so far, the best reception would be with an outdoor antenna. If you live within 20-25 miles of the broadcast towers, you can try the old radio shack double bowtie antenna or sometimes even the rabbit ears will work. For anything greater, try an amplified UHF/VHF from Radio Shack/Jensen.

If you have problems with multipath(ghosting on your analog channels), i would suggest that you look for an outdoor solution.

Regards

Nivas

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Outdoor reception should be more robust (higher gain, signal strength, and directionality); however, I'm having good luck with indoor reception, as do many others.

1) How far are you from the towers?

2) Do you have some, minor, no obstructions between you and them?

3) Most (but not all!) digital stations are UHF. How good is your UHF analog reception, paying attention to multipath (which shows up as multiple images or ghosts for analog reception)?

4) do you live in a stucco (wire mesh in walls) or aluminum-sided house? If yes, then your chances of getting indoor reception are much less.

In the end, the only way to know is to purchase the STB, and antenna (the RS antenna mentioned above is good if you can find one, or the Zenith Silver Sensor available at Circuit city is also well regarded) and give it a try.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for all your help!

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
I tried a variety of indoor amplifed antennas. They mostly gave enough signal strength but due to reflections off walls, stucco, etc. I would get some dropouts at times. I moved the antenna to the back of the house looking out a big glass door/window and it was much better and more stable. But the long cable draped across the floor was ugly so I later went to an outdoor antenna and it was actually cheaper since it didn't need an amplifier and the cable is outside.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
If you're in a primary reception area, try the $29 Zenith Silver Sensor indoor UHF antenna. It's available at Sears, Circuit City and online at Buy.com. It does a fine job, but it is very directional, so you may have to move it around to pick up all your locals if the tranmission towers aren't clustered in the same general direction.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The RS double bow tie ant. is on close out for $1.97 I found five in my area for a few friends. Have a store near your location due a search. Good luck.

·
Registered
532 Posts
You have my vote with the Silver Sensor. I bought one on Ebay for $0.99 (plus $9.50 shipping) and was astonished by its ability. I got all stations from 5 different locations, the furthest is 50 miles away (which antennaweb.org codes LIGHT GREEN,) and 2 of the locations are 20-25 miles away but 45 degrees left/right. My house sits on a higher terrain though. Next time buying a house OTA reception will be a new factor... Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.