AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I know what the answer will be, but I'll ask the question anyway.

Does anyone know of an indoor antenna that will allow you to pick up HD (and vhf / uhf) signals? In my case, all the HD over the air broadcasts are done on the UHF band. An outdoor antenna is not an option for me.

I'm gonna guess the answer is no, but if you dont ask, you never know.

I also know that it really depends on where I am located. I just yesterday tried Radio Shack's new $80.00 powered digital antenna and got no where. In fact, I got better reception with no antenna than I did with the Radio Shack one. I'm guessing that means I am s.o.l. with regard to an indoor antenna, but maybe you know something better to try. I have seen a $120.00 indoor antenna made by I think Terk, but have not yet tried it. It looks like a big long white plastic piece of molding.

tia

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Found the Silver Sensor worked well in a high-multipath environment. Believe they're about $40 now. A search will disclose numerous reports, sources, etc. -- John

·
Registered
704 Posts
I would not give up hope yet. I have a radio shack vu-90xr outdoor antenna (which might me a little overkill, its rather big) in a closet that is hooked up to a dtc-100. I am in a three flat with a lot of trees and other 3-4 story buildings around.

Usually, I can pick up all but one of the digital channels in chicago (at 70+ signal strength) without having to move the antenna around. Only one station requires a quick adjustment of where the antenna is pointing. it seems that digital signal is highly directional – small changes in orientation can make a huge differences in signal strength. I originally tried a little RS amplified antenna but this was VERY directional – it had to be moved around for every station.

You might want to check out antenna web to see if you are pointing in the right general direction.

-jeff

[This message has been edited by Jeff J (edited 09-16-2001).]

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Just a suggestion- None of you have ever referenced the distance that you are from the transmitting towers in your respective locations. How can you give recommendations without knowing this? Something that would help when you are either giving or getting antenna info would be to give such info. How can you expect to get adequate HD UHF reception from...say...40 miles away with a marginal antenna, and then stick it in an attic with aluminum siding?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I live about 45 miles from the only HD signal I can get. I tried an indoor, attic mounted yagi and got no HD signal. I moved the antenna outside, 20 feet above ground and now get NBC HD at full strength! I live in Southern Michigan with an unobstructed line to the transmitter. Distance does matter!

Doc

------------------

-------------------------

Remember, there is no such thing as a free lunch!

Doc

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Weird thing is that I currently live about 15-20 miles away from the transmitters and according to antennaweb.org, I have the best reception with all DTV stations showing Yellow. I still could not get with good reception with an outdoor 6' antenna in the attic (put in the attic before FCC rulings). Also try other indoor antennas to no avail. Then I put it up on the roof and everything is great.

Unfortunately, I moving (Bethesda/Chevy Chase) and I forgot to check out antennaweb because they say I need a medium directional antenna (all DTV station are RED). Another weird thing is that now I'm only 2 miles away from the transmitters. I'm not allowed to mount an antenna on the roof because it is a condo. Hopefully, antennaweb is wrong and I can use an indoor antenna. If I'm so close, why does antennaweb say its so bad?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your right Wolverine, I should have listed how far I am from the source.

I'm in a suburb of boston. About 8 miles from boston, and if the towers are where I think they are, they are about 10 to 20 miles away tops.

FWIW, I tried the Terk 55 Indoor / Outdoor antenna today just for the heck of it. It was better than the Radio Shack one, but not much. I even tried the Terk outside where i could have mounted that antenna. Still no go. Looks like my only option would be a roof top antenna. I'm pretty sure that is a non-option for me. But maybe, if I plead enough to the landlord.... It's worth a try.

Thanks for all the info folks.

·
Registered
108 Posts
i am 45 miles from orlando. tried to use the silver sensor antenna indoors, got nothing. Took it outdoors, got signal strength of 40-60, but would never lock on a channel. Have currently ordered a channel master 4248, this should do the trick.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Sunlover-

Are the signal towers all in a tight area (on a line)? At that distance you will probably be OK w/ CM 4248 (well rated!) Only suggestion is that if those transmitting towers are fanned out, you might benefit from a auto rotor to maximize reception. Remember that great antennas like CM 4248 and the similar yagi style Winegard 9095 are very directional- helps with multipath problems, but bites you in the rear on multi channels if the towers are spread out.

BTW...go Seminoles!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Wolvernole, yes all towers are situated in the same spot. Will reply to signal strength when I get the antenna assembled this week, and tell you how all locals come in.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I am about 20 miles from the tower in San Francisco, and I get good reception with the Radio Shack double bowtie indoor UHF antenna.

I also bought a Silver Sensor, after hearing all the raves about it here. But, the performance of this antenna has been much below that of the double bowtie.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with the RCA Low Profile antennas, ANT4500 (outdoor) or ANT500 (indoor).

They are very similar. Like a flat panel that can be surface mounted and has a tuneable amplifier.

My landlord is getting nasty with me about all the hardware on the balcony and if I could find an antenna that would work and be inconspicuous it would be worth the price.

I wanted to try a silver sensor but cant find one even on ebay.

·
Registered
750 Posts
It is my understanding (others will correct me if I'm wrong), but there is nothing too special about indoor vs. outdoor. That is, I think that most outdoor antennas can be mounted indoors. Of course, one major consideration is space.

Here's the link that I used: http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/usefulinfo/antenna.html

I purchased the Channel Master 4248, which is an 80" antenna. It is rated for outdoor use, but mine is mounted in my attic. I suspect that other "conventional" antennas that are made for outdoor will also work quite well indoors.

My reading and experience has led me to believe that most "digital" or "HDTV" antennas are just marketing hype. Also, omni-directional antennas are problematic and are not very well suited for most people's reception of HDTV (they might work for someone on top of a mountain that has no trees or buildings to cause "multi-path" problems).

Bottom line: Don't give up. Try more conventional antennas. Mount one in your attic and aim it at the towers. Again, I think that a more directional antenna is the way to go.

------------------

-Jason

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I use Radio Shack's double bowtie UHF only antenna here in Manhattan and it receives all the NYC digital stations even though I don't have a line of site to either the ESB or our lost WTC bldgs. The antenna sits on my living room floor near a window pointing north. In that location all stations were received with high signal levels. We lost most of digital stations since the transmitting antenna was on Tower 1 at the WTC.

Try the Double Bowtie UHF it costs less than $20.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I also bought the VU-90XR from radio shack. I have it just laying down in my attic and I get 100% signal from all 5 digital stations(CBS, ABC, FOX, CBS, PBS) in Houston. its on sale for $25 so i'd suggest you try it out.

------------------
ADebars>
Mitsubishi WT-46807 Widescreen HDTVs>
JVC XV-S65 Progressive Scan DVD Players>
Mitsubishi SR-HD400 HDTV Decoders>
DirecTV HDs>
My DVDs - DVD Profilers>

Danger! Danger! Danger!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.