Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I couldn't find much information about which antenna is the best for indoor use. I know of three that are closely available to me. They are, Terk, RCA, and something from Radio Shack.

I live about 25 miles from the major HD broadcasting area. I am also in an apartment on the first floor. I have North and East facing windows. And the HD towers are toward South East.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jesse

·
Registered
18 Posts
Jesse,

I am also interested in an indoor antenna. I tried the RCA 200. I think it has a 15 db amp. It did not work very good. I was seeing weak signals in the 29 to 33 range with drop off. I did an exchange for a Zenith Silver Sensor UHF antenna. Both antennas were $40 at Best Buy. I did notice that Lowes has the 45 db RCA for $40 ($30 less than best buy)

I live in Thornton Colorado and am getting a strong consistent signal from channel 4 (CBS) and 31 (fox) in downtown Denver. I am not able to find 9 (NBC). I think it is a receiver issue with the Sammy 160. I don't know. I am just figuring this HDTV stuff out. I will say I am getting a consistent signal from 69 to 79 on 4 and 31. The Zenith is NOT amplified and is working much better. The quality of the cable connections has made a difference. You want one continuous good RG-6 cable. I also had to tighten the connection on the antenna. Location and direction(increments matter) made a big difference.

I am interested in what anyone else has to offer on the same issue. I live in a townhome and am dealing with a HOA issue.

Glenn

·
Registered
223 Posts
I tried both the Silver sensor and RS 15-1880, I get more channels with the RS antenna.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by venger
Hello all.

I couldn't find much information about which antenna is the best for indoor use. I know of three that are closely available to me. They are, Terk, RCA, and something from Radio Shack.
Indoor antennas are trial & error. If you must use an indoor antenna, buy them from places that will let you return them.

Do NOT buy any OTA antenna with the TERK name on it. Most don't work. And the ones that do work aren't worth the price TERK charges for them.

I would start with the Silver Sensor antenna (from Sears, CC, BB) if all your digital stations are broadcasting in the UHF band. If you have both VHF & UHF stations, the RS 15-1880 antenna might work better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello, I live in Ft. Worth, TX and according to antennaweb, I would need a yellow ant. (the smallest). Am I correct in reading that Ch. 8 WFAA is VHF and all others are UHF? If so, I would get the RS 15-1880? Thanks if anyone could help...here is the info from antennaweb.org

Digital Antenna Type Call Sign Channel Network City State Live Date Compass

Orientation

* yellow WFAA-DT 9 ABC Dallas TX Now Live 131°

* yellow KERA-DT 14 PBS Dallas TX Now Live 128°

* yellow KTXA-DT 18 UPN Fort Worth TX Now Live 134°

* yellow KTVT-DT 19 CBS Fort Worth TX Now Live 128°

* yellow KUVN-DT 24 UNI Garland TX Now Live 129°

* yellow KMPX-DT 30 DAY Decatur TX Under Review 58°

* yellow KDAF-DT 32 WB Dallas TX Now Live 134°

* yellow KDFW-DT 35 FOX Dallas TX Now Live 131°

* yellow KDFI-DT 36 IND Dallas TX Now Live 134°

* yellow KXTX-DT 40 TEL Dallas TX Now Live 129°

* yellow KXAS-DT 41 NBC Fort Worth TX Now Live 129°

* yellow KPXD-DT 42 PAX Arlington TX Now Live 129°

* yellow KDTN-DT 43 PBS Denton TX Now Live 134°

* yellow KDTX-DT 45 TBN Dallas TX Now Live 129°

* yellow KSTR-DT 48 UNI Irving TX Now Live 134°

* yellow KFWD-DT 51 IND Fort Worth TX Now Live 129°

green KTXA 21 UPN Fort Worth TX 129°

green KDFI 27 IND Dallas TX 129°

green KMPX 29 DAY Decatur TX 58°

green KDAF 33 WB Dallas TX 134°

green KFWD 52 IND Fort Worth TX 129°

* green KLDT-DT 54 IND Lake Dallas TX Now Live 29°

green KPXD 68 PAX Arlington TX 129°

lt green KDFW 4 FOX Dallas TX 131°

lt green KXAS 5 NBC Fort Worth TX 129°

lt green WFAA 8 ABC Dallas TX 131°

lt green KTVT 11 CBS Fort Worth TX 128°

lt green KERA 13 PBS Dallas TX 128°

lt green KUVN 23 UNI Garland TX 129°

lt green KXTX 39 TEL Dallas TX 129°

lt green KSTR 49 UNI Irving TX 134°

lt green KDTX 58 TBN Dallas TX 129°

blue KDTN 2 PBS Denton TX 129°

* blue KXII-DT 20 CBS Sherman TX Now Live 9°

blue KHPK-LP 28 UAT De Soto TX 129°

blue KUVN-CA 31 UNI Fort Worth TX 259°

blue KLDT 55 IND Lake Dallas TX 29°

violet KLEG-LP 19 SPA Dallas TX 71°

violet KJJM-LP 46 FMN Dallas TX 85°

violet KATA-LP 60 FMN Mesquite TX 85°

·
Registered
914 Posts
twohourride,

Wow, all those digital channels with a yellow antenna! You are lucky. Stations in CT have been very slow to get their HD content going.

I also have a question about the 15-1880 antenna. Can the VHF elements be pointed in a different direction from the UHF elements?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.