AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine wants to build a portable fixed-frame projection screen (he would only be taking it out to his backyard a few times a year for parties) of at least 60" x 105" for use with the Optoma HD20 he just ordered. I've seen stellar results with Wilsonart's designer white laminates, but I'm wondering if the fashion grey color would give superior results in a suburban front yard full of inconvenient ambient light. Or ould something else work better?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,837 Posts
Any Gray surface would perform better than a white surface for "dusk' viewing purposes. The WA-FG might just work fine considering the HD20 will undoubtedly be sitting on a stand/table.

I'd suggest the WA-FG to start, and if it needs a coating to be more effective, it won't matter one bit if it has to be primed with a white Paint first, then coated with a high gain Gray such as Silver Fire or Black Widow.

But if either of two latter "Paint' applications are to be considered up front....going with the WA-DW make the most sense in that the priming stage can be omitted entirely.

BTW, the DW products MUST employ a rigid, adequately braced framework with sufficient protection at the edges to prevent chipping or cracking form occurring during the few times it will be stored/moved.

And that Framework should be Kiln-Dried Poplar, also primed and sealed before construction. Do that, and it should last a long time and many viewings.

If he will need a "Wind Proof / Bump Against Proof" stand (...and he should...) a simple "Extended Base Dual Triangle" assembly that bolts to the Screen Frame at each end using large Wing Nuts at the end of Double Ended Wood Screw/Machine Screw (ie: Hanger Bolts as shown below) is a "best case" suggestion. It would allow for a quick assembly/dis-assembly that would be very stable. A really Windy night? Add two Sand bags or large Barbell weights on each rear end of the Stand's long feet..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/16954759

Any Gray surface would perform better than a white surface for "dusk' viewing purposes. The WA-FG might just work fine considering the HD20 will undoubtedly be sitting on a stand/table.

I'd suggest the WA-FG to start, and if it needs a coating to be more effective, it won't matter one bit if it has to be primed with a white Paint first, then coated with a high gain Gray such as Silver Fire or Black Widow.

[/IMG]

Sounds good, then. 1800 lumens is not a whole lot, but the projector also has issues with low black levels, so I figure it's better to trade brightness for contrast.

That said, do you have any suggestions for a good paint? Replacing the laminate with blackout cloth would save a fortune, especially if the FG did not turn out so well. I was hoping to use FG to avoid potential issues with paint application (we don't have an appropriate paint sprayer) - is there a way I could get around this issue?

Quote:

BTW, the DW products MUST employ a rigid, adequately braced framework with sufficient protection at the edges to prevent chipping or cracking form occurring during the few times it will be stored/moved.

Poplar it is, then. I was planning on reinforcing the corners with quite a lot of steel (a bracket inside the right angle, outside the right angle, and an L-bracket on the back for good measure) with cables stretched from opposite corners to increased torsional rigidity. I'm curious about the sealing, though - I know polyurethane is a good sealer, but what do I use for a primer?

Quote:

If he will need a "Wind Proof / Bump Against Proof" stand (...and he should...)

I was thinking 2" PVC - I know a few tricks for collapsible construction, and filling the base with sand is easy.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasticteapot /forum/post/16956727

Sounds good, then. 1800 lumens is not a whole lot, but the projector also has issues with low black levels, so I figure it's better to trade brightness for contrast.

That said, do you have any suggestions for a good paint? Replacing the laminate with blackout cloth would save a fortune, especially if the FG did not turn out so well. I was hoping to use FG to avoid potential issues with paint application (we don't have an appropriate paint sprayer) - is there a way I could get around this issue?

Not and get optimal results with the best choices you have to consider.

Go with BOC lightly prime it and paint it using a $70.00 Wagner. Your ahead of the game then. Next up///your PVC Furniture.

I'm curious about the sealing, though - I know polyurethane is a good sealer, but what do I use for a primer?
Behr makes specific Primers that are formulated to seal Wood better than standard primers. Raw Drywall as well. Two good coats...not too thick...and you've got all the protection needed. Besides, I'd put a coat of Black Textured Outdoor Rustoleum on the Frame over the dried Primer Sealer.

White is so distracting. Especially at night. Don't you want that Screen to seem to be floating in space?

Quote:
I was thinking 2" PVC - I know a few tricks for collapsible construction, and filling the base with sand is easy.

I thought of that too...but Schedule 40 PVC @ 2" looks so....Industrial.

If you rough sand it and paint it with a PVC Friendly Enamel Primer and the Black Rustoleum, you could get by I suppose.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/16958599

Not and get optimal results with the best choices you have to consider.

Go with BOC lightly prime it and paint it using a $70.00 Wagner. Your ahead of the game then.

Can I get a projectorese - to - english translation?

Is 1800 lumens enough for a ~120" grey screen?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasticteapot /forum/post/16958668

Can I get a projectorese - to - english translation?

Is 1800 lumens enough for a ~120" grey screen?

Oh absolutely. Even if your Gray Screen measures out to being only 1.0 Gain, with 1800 lumens coming from 14' away you''d be getting 37 fl.

Drop down to Low Lamp mode (1100 lumens)and you'd still get at least 20 fl

Up the Gray Screen's "Gain Ante" to 1.2 and you'd get 44 fl and 28 fl respectfully.

Whats not to like....no worries I can see.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.