AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having much trouble with indoor reception in the Wheeling, IL area. Is anyone successfully picking up a signal with an indoor antenna around these parts? I've heard of people in Mt Prospect, Mundeline, etc. getting adequate signals, but they all seem to be using much larger outdoor or attic mount antennas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am in Elgin, and can receive everything but WBBM with the Radio Shack new amplified indoor antenna ( 15-1880 ). It has a square mesh back with turnable bow tie. I can also receive Rockford WTVO 17 from the back of it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting, I have one of the 15-1880 at home now, and I get nothing on it. With a silver sensor, I get a few channels, but the signal strength bounces up and down like crazy, and I get a lot of dropouts and such.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Your silver sensor would probably fare better in an attic "sweet spot" if that is practical for you. Couple it to a dedicated Ch. 3 antenna to get WBBM-DT3. See my (long) post on Pg. 8 of this thread for suggestions.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...75#post2689275

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UncD - I already ran across your other post. It's informative, but only mentions the Silver Sensor as an indoor antenna. I'm in an apartment, so attics and rooftops are off limits. I can put an antenna on the balcony, but it'd be a serious pain. They require $10,000 liability insurance in case it were to fall on someone, and I can't drill a holl through the exterior wall to pass the cable.

I'll be moving out soon, but in the meantime I'm in a world of hurt.

Ohh, and it is facing the towers and in a window (patio doors actually)already.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I get everything except WBBM with a RS double bowtie inside my house (in the window facing downtown Chicago) from McHenry (the town) near Rt 120 and the Fox River.

I wish I could justify a Big Ugly Antenna just to get WBBM but it's funny how things work out. I haven't seen WBBM HD in over a year and a half and with all the other HD offerings available I just don't think it is worth the big antenna for just one channel.

There's a certain satisfaction needing to only use such a little antenna. Too bad RS discontinued it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A few suggestions on the Radio Shack antenna. I got the best UHF reception when I collapsed the VHF antenna completely and pointed straight up. Also I turned the bowtie to a 10 and 4 orientation. I have the amplifier turned all the way up...you may need to adjust it down.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I'm in Schaumburg and receive all stations except WBBM using the Silver Sensor antenna. It sits on my dresser in a second floor bedroom with the window facing south. It's fairly directional, so I got a compass and made sure it pointed bearing 120 degrees (to the Hancock/Sears).

I've got a RatShack 15-1880 indoor antenna, and it's almost as good as the Silver Sensor. I was hoping I could pick up WBBM with it, but alas - no joy. Luckily, I get WBBM on Comcast but there's a nice feeling knowing I can watch it if my cable box ever dies.

It just annoys me that I can easily pick up a channel that auctions cars all day long but can't get CBS. I guess it's time to step up to the big antennas and try an attic mount...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bob629 - I'll play around with the RS 15-1880 a bit more before I return it and see i your suggestions help.

hdtv_moron - Is this the double bow tie you're talking about? RS Bowtie?

jckessler - it's an AccessDTV card in one of my PCs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.