Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I am a bit new to this section of this forum but I am finding myself always looking more and more here. Anyways I found myself wondering what to do last Saturday and came up with this crazy idea to set up my little proxima x350 outside. I built a stand for a screen in the back yard and hung some screen material on it so that it would hang nicely. After that I grabbed a small mini stereo system out from the bedroom and also put it outside along with my DVD player and quadrupler. After setting it all up, I had to wait until about 9:00 pm to roll around until the image would show up clearly, then like magic it was show time.

I was totally amazed with the set up. Not just with the equipment but with the whole environment of being outside!!! It was like a small drive in theatre but with out the car. I can't get enough of it now, I don't want to

watch my dish inside anymore, or anything inside anymore!! I feel that I was shown the light for the first time being outside and having the stars as my ceiling. I truly feel like I was being spoiled. It's a lot different having a theatre out side than inside.

Since then I have even started to build a row a theatre seats outside that can roll underneath the balcony for protection against the rain, a throw rug and a coffee table of course. Now I am set and with the proxima on a tri--pod projecting outside in the back yard its truly amazing. Hey try it, Its sounds like a lot of work but I think that there is a lot of potential with this one. I look at it as

a extension of the home theatre.

There are a lot of negative aspects like daytime viewing or neighbors, but hey it something else, totally different!!

I am so impressed as to say that it is better than indoor theatre! There is no comparison. For me, big time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Who else has done this? What's your thoughts

Thanks Trevor

"Kill him with kindness!"

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Search this forum and the screens forum. There are several folks that have done limited to elaborate outdoor configurations. I just posted my "first try" experience in this forum about 2-3 weeks ago. I was also thrilled. The kids loved it too. The neighbors? Well, I guess that I should have picked a weekend evening http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

I am tinkering with rear projection (to improve the presentation start time), but want to try projection on a 12'x7' screen (16:9ish) built on the giant swing that I built for the kids. I'll be using a high definition source and my (soon to be here) Panamorph. I also have some 6'2" speakers that I built for some bands that I was in back in high school. They're just loud, but have a size that's appropriate for the front speakers. I also have a pair of Bose speakers that I plan to use for the rears (please forgive me, I was but a boy when I bought them - though the "stereo everywhere" may work well outside). I have another speaker to use in the center, but may just opt to switch my DD decoder to a 4-speaker matrix.

Did I mention that I have a minor interest in this? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Cheers!

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I can't remember if I posted this, but I found an alternative to the "frosted glass" sheets for rear projection. It's called "Frosted Glass" by Rust-Oleum and is available at Lowes (and probably elsewhere). It is a spray can of the frosting material that can be used for custom designs. Properly applied, it would provide the desired aspect ratio without seams. It dries in 10 minutes and (so I was told) covers about 100 square feet (though it requires multiple coats so that might be total). Best of all, it cost a whopping three or four bucks!

Enjoy!

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
I have a friend who is an antique car buff. He's planning a party at the beginning of September. He wants to park some of his cars drive-in style. Wants me to set up my LT150 to shoot onto the side of a building which is painted white. He has some drive-in speakers and will use those for sound.

I've been resisting this (even though he's applied a lot of pressure) because I'm not thrilled at the prospect of flying insects being sucked into the projector's intake vent. He suggested we take one car and put the projector on the dashboard. But if the windows are rolled up to keep out the insects I'm worried that the temperature would get too hot in that small space.

So now I really would like to know what your experience was with insects, Trevor. Did you not find it to be a problem?

Did you do something to protect the projector?

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

·
Registered
628 Posts
Hey BOB,

Why not build a simple box frame out of 1"X1" pine and cover all but the front side with screen door material. Attach a piece of glass or plexi glass to the front side. This would cost next to nothing, allow the 150 to breath and keep the bugs out.

------------------

Gonna name my HT "Tooth and Nails" for the battle my wife is putting up against it.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Our local TKOST HT club had a little shootout last Friday; our old Epson 5000 vs. the new Nec LT150. But this was a little different from the typical tech spec and magnifying glass gala, we just wanted to checkout the Hot Tub factor.

We couldn't control well for ambient light, noise or bugs, so we winged it.

Using a pair of curtain hooks, we mounted a screen to the arbor covering the dart board alley, and set both projectors on the steps of the hot tub. Because of the lens shift, the LT150 went on the lower step, the Epson on the upper. From a distance of roughly eight feet, we set a roughly 70" diagonal image from both projectors. The LT150 won on image quality and brightness. The Epson was easier to step down on. The hot tub drowned out any fan noise differences. Neither remote worked from inside the tub.

Viewing a "Nightmare Before Christmas" from a $60 VHS deck through composite in, the Epson had less visible noise. Well, the Epson had less visible everything.

For non-critical occasions, the Epson is actually quite useable, and can probably take a good soaking better than the NEC.

As a Theatre experience, the whole is much more than the sum of the parts. The hot tub was set to 102F, just above the steaming glasses range, and the night was cool enough to condense a fog layer above the tub. The nickel Guinness machine is unfortunately about 20' away, so there was a fairly constant "Down in Front!" effect; but this helped dissipate the fog.

Sound was provided by a Sony STR7065 feeding a gazillion small speakers around the back yard. Volume was kept low, to keep the neighbors from lighting torches and attacking the moat.

We found that with a 8' tub, about seven people can comfortably view a movie, unless they double up. A "Nightmare Before Christmas" isn't really that kind of movie, so...

We have some pix; if I can get permission from the tub owners, I'll post the URL where these, and a couple thousand more images of the TKOST group in various places, can be found.

apg

BTW, a ScotchBrite pad makes a pretty decent air filter for the LT150 Long tyewraps can be used to secure it to the fan inlet on the right side; both tape and rubberbands leave a deposit on the Magnesium case once it heats up enough. The White pads give you a good idea as to what would have been sucked up; the the Forest Green ones are nice match for the projectors aesthetics.

·
Registered
728 Posts
"That I gotta see, jpg.

Please link us to the pics."

Here's one to whet your appetite. (That may be the wrong way to put it...):
http://dvcmedia.org/~kelleye/

Note: Pix _are_ copyrighted. Well, the one you see there is. I haven't got mine up yet... It may be a day or two...

You can also get the Guinness machine links on that page

apg

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Why didn't I think of that. Not a bad idea, CV63. I think I'll do it.

p.s. Truthfully, I'm anxious as my friend is to see a mini drive-in, haha.

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

·
Registered
728 Posts
"Only in America."

Funny, that was the subject: line for the email Kelleye sent out when the page went up, followed by "or at least in California"...

Here's a pic of us setting the projectors up:
http://dvcmedia.org/~lvinci/pics/hou...ubdeck26.phtml

Note that to create a flat surface to allow proper ventilation, The LT 150 is sitting on the instruction manual, which is placed on a fluffy beach towel. To provide perfect levelling, I shoved my passport under the front left corner.

We improvise a lot; basically, TKOST is a drinking club with a home theatre problem.

apg

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Kuva, i have an X350 also. Do you sometimes get blocky sky scenes? If you do, how do you compensate?

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
apg,

Damn. I just looked at that photo. One good splash from that hot tub and you would have had two fried projectors. Weren't you worried about that?

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The X350 is a great little projector. I personally got it for its size. I do notice the chopy sky scenes also but at the moment I am using a better quality quadrupler. It helps a little. There is one thing that bothers me, if you watch a small bright moving object that is moving very fast, you see a sparkling effect that follows after the moving object. Look at your and see if this is the case too.

Bob

I was thinking of bugs as well but I never had a problem with them, I quess I am lucky. These are all great ideas, I think you should do it aswell bob! I am definaltly going to try the spray on frosted gless!

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I think Trevor found a way to dispense with the

"room effects" - like "first wall reflections" and

"standing waves".

I hope the speakers are voiced for flat response

in an anechoic chamber.

Greg

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The biggest thing here is being confined, I also hate authority, and squash! It's all relative I quess, I also hate bosses, ok I will stop now!

Trevor

"Set your projector free"

·
Registered
728 Posts

"Damn. I just looked at that photo."

You and about 134 other avsforum members as of about an hour ago. Lotta lurkers here...

"One good splash from that hot tub and you would have had two fried projectors. Weren't you worried about that?"

Not too much. By the time we were all in and settled down to watch the movie, the Epson was way off to one side, and the LT150 was shadowed by the steps. And nobody sat on that side of the tub- we, (Except for Kelleye), are too tall...

More pix going up this afternoon. The Labor day fest will be a two projector affair, basically in-tub and out-tub setups. Fully stocked Guinness machine. There will be a webcam, (We've been doing this for a year for non-area TKOST members), and hilarity will ensue.

apg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.