AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Leadtek Winfast TV2000XP Deluxe TV tuner card in my HTPC.

I am currently using a rabbit-ears antenna for TV reception. I get the major network channels, but there is a tremendous amount amout of interference on these channels.

What is a reasonably priced, quality indoor TV antenna that will significantly improve picture quality and hopefully also pull in some of the weaker signals?

Does an amplified antenna make a significant improvement?

Is there any difference in reception or build quality between the various brands of indoor antennas (they all seem to look the same)? If so, which brands are good?

·
Registered
942 Posts
There is really nothing good for the low VHF channels for indoor use, because the dipole needs to be about eight feet wide. Looks like you really need an rooftop antenna.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Get your antenna away from metal and sources of electromagnetic interference (like your computer, TV, etc). Best would be to have as little material between it and the transmitter. This usually means you should put it high and outside, if possible.

Amplified antennas don't help much--the amplification works better for overcoming losses between the antenna and your receiver--if the cable is long, or you split the cable.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Also, Kayle is dead-on with amplification -- the purpose of amplification is to take a signal that starts out strong, but that would be attenuated due to long cable runs or cable splits. If you have a weak signal in the first place, that means you have a low signal-to-noise ratio -- and an amplifier amplifies both the signal and the noise.

I got a giant antenna on a ten-foot mast on the top of our house, and with the MyHD card, get signal strength in the 70-90's -- no amplification, about 50 feet of cable run, a lightening protector, and a ground tap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.