AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we've all seen those industrial displays at companies, public spaces, and elsewhere. To my eye, they look quite good made even better by the fact that they have nearly no bezel. Yet, I've seen the prices for these displays on Newegg and they are not vastly overpriced in comparison to consumer-targeted displays. I am aware that some industrial models don't have speakers or many inputs, but assuming that's not a problem, is there any reason why one should or should not get an industrial display over a consumer one?

Here are some displays I was looking at.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824002488

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824001361

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
In general they are made with higher quality components.

They are not TVs and therfore have no tuners or speakers.

Many of them are only available with "720P" 1366x768 native resolution so that they can easily be programmed with computers.

·
Registered
277 Posts
My local Chili's Restaurant has several of those NEC displays in their bar area. As Walford said, they are monitors only. The restaurant has the audio piped to in-ceiling speakers. The picture looks pretty nice, but I don't think the black level is too good. The restaurant has some accent lighting pointed to the sides of the tv's, which mask the black level problem, and make the overall picture look better. I do agree that the small bezel looks better. I wish normal tv's had thin black bezels, and not these stupid acrylic ones.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@ Walford

I could believe that industrial displays use higher-end components. That would explain their 3-year warranty versus my own Sony XBR's 1 year service warranty.

The two I cited have speakers - but I believe the no tuner issue can easily be remedied by a SAT/CAB box or an HTPC. Speakers are included in the two I cited though.

Also, the resolution thing isn't even an issue anymore given that the industrial displays are 1920 x 1080 now too.

So what I really want to know if there's any reason why picture quality might be better or worse with industrial vs. consumer displays given that a lot of industrial displays are meant to display relatively static images like scores, flight schedules, weather information, or logos.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I love the industrial Displays, mainly because since they are used in brightly lit environments and daylight, They are very very bright 700cd/m2 on that Samsung and the NO Bezel look is my favorite of all.

They should be great for Gaming. (I Hope) or just feeding them 1080p Bluray. But no 120hz I guess.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I work for a digital signage company and we use these displays for all our installs and in our office. I love the thin bezels that they have. Philips, LG, NEC, and Sony all have em. I like the SONY thin bezel monitors myself. The Philips isn't too bad either. They have longer warranties because they use higher end components and are built to be "on" for extended hours (sometimes 24/7). I thought about buying one, but I decided to go for a UN55B8500 instead.....oddly enough companies are starting to ask about LED LCD sets for install.

·
Registered
174 Posts

Quote:
Speakers are included in the two I cited though.

For some reason, I have a feeling they don't.

I personally bought a relatively entry level industrial NEC monitor for my home office, and I couldn't be happier.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824002439

Few positive pointers I'd like to share -
  • Great build quality; most have a metal chassis
  • Excellent cooling features that extend the life of the television
  • 3 year warranty
  • Conservative design, matte screens, most have thin bezels

Some negatives -
  • Most don't include speakers or a stand
  • No built in tuner
  • Heavier, thicker, bulkier
  • Some don't feature consumer inputs, so adapters are necessary
  • Most have mediocre black levels, but compensate that with their extreme brightness

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberATL /forum/post/18282925

I work for a digital signage company and we use these displays for all our installs and in our office. I love the thin bezels that they have. Philips, LG, NEC, and Sony all have em. I like the SONY thin bezel monitors myself. The Philips isn't too bad either. They have longer warranties because they use higher end components and are built to be "on" for extended hours (sometimes 24/7). I thought about buying one, but I decided to go for a UN55B8500 instead.....oddly enough companies are starting to ask about LED LCD sets for install.

Could you post a link to a few Sony industrial LCD monitors? I haven't seen them around.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith DTT900 /forum/post/18283382

For some reason, I have a feeling they don't.

I personally bought a relatively entry level industrial NEC monitor for my home office, and I couldn't be happier.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824002439

Few positive pointers I'd like to share -
  • Great build quality; most have a metal chassis
  • Excellent cooling features that extend the life of the television
  • 3 year warranty
  • Conservative design, matte screens, most have thin bezels

Some negatives -
  • Most don't include speakers or a stand
  • No built in tuner
  • Heavier, thicker, bulkier
  • Some don't feature consumer inputs, so adapters are necessary
  • Most have mediocre black levels, but compensate that with their extreme brightness

Could you post a link to a few Sony industrial LCD monitors? I haven't seen them around.

No, just take a look at the specs, they have built-in speakers. However, this shouldn't be a problem given that this is the A(udio)VS forum, so it can be safely assumed a lot of us have dedicated sound setups anyways. Quite frankly, the TVs look like great options for people who have their TVs in living rooms with lots of sunlight instead of in a dedicated theater environment.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm pretty sure they don't. I know that NEC doesn't include built in speakers. You're going to need to purchase external speakers in order to get audio.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
IMHO picture quality is not as good as consumer sets that cost the same money. $2K for a 46" is quite expensive these days. The sets are built for long life more than getting the highest PQ from the panel. They ARE built like tanks and rarely fail.

Did anybosy else notice the 4000:1 contrast ratio and 16ms panel response time on a $2,000 46" TV?

·
Registered
174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 /forum/post/18289146

IDid anybosy else notice the 4000:1 contrast ratio and 16ms panel response time on a $2,000 46" TV?

Yeah, but it's an accurate and honest rating. Not some inflated number that came from their marketing department.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 /forum/post/18289146

IMHO picture quality is not as good as consumer sets that cost the same money. $2K for a 46" is quite expensive these days. The sets are built for long life more than getting the highest PQ from the panel. They ARE built like tanks and rarely fail.

Did anybosy else notice the 4000:1 contrast ratio and 16ms panel response time on a $2,000 46" TV?

What you'll notice is that consumer panels have specifications that detail "dynamic contrast ratio" which is an absurd measurement that is often useless and simply a marketing gimmick. Besides, you'll notice that there are plenty of people who pay extraordinary amounts for TVs here for top-of-the-line features. So if the industrial models are indeed valuable investments because they're built to last - their price is justifiable in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith DTT900 /forum/post/18289535

Yeah, but it's an accurate and honest rating. Not some inflated number that came from their marketing department.

I'd think it'd be really interesting to see one of the many review magazines and websites do a comparison review of a company's (like Sony) industrial models versus their consumer models. Are consumers really getting screwed over with poor quality TVs, or can they say that their sets are as good as what the museum in town uses (in terms of panel or picture quality).

·
Registered
174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDequipment /forum/post/18296877

I'd think it'd be really interesting to see one of the many review magazines and websites do a comparison review of a company's (like Sony) industrial models versus their consumer models. Are consumers really getting screwed over with poor quality TVs, or can they say that their sets are as good as what the museum in town uses (in terms of panel or picture quality).

I found a great article that shows the differences between the two.

http://svconline.com/digitalsignage/...428/index.html

Quote:
As an example, Samsung makes panels for its own brand and for other manufacturers. Cisco would use Samsung as a source. Samsung has consumer-grade TV panels, and now it has even subsegmented its panel roadmap for Digital Information Display panels (DIDs), and Samsung has a couple of different derivations for those. Samsung's segmentation makes it easy to talk about its displays. You need to pay attention to commercial-grade panels and to their segmentation. For instance, Samsung has a B basic DID panel and a P performance panel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts