Status
Not open for further replies.
3061 - 3080 of 4687 Posts

·
Registered
2,761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Pennell /forum/post/12569730

I would be surprised too as the performance would suck, this is a CE player, not a PS3 so it has an order of magnitude less Java horsepower.

In fact, I'm told by a provider of BD-J implementations that the Broadcom chipset found in the Samsung player has BD-J performance very similar to that of the PS3. Nonetheless, I agree that it's unlikely the "HDi" implementation (what's the correct non-trademarked term for this?!?) is written in Java.

·
Registered
607 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkstr8t /forum/post/12579128

I'd be surprised if the PS3 gains any native iPod capabilities, given that Sony and Apple are natural rivals in the media player market. I'd expect the PS3's media playback capabilities (i.e. playlist options) to continue to be enhanced through future firmware updates, however.

Of course, Microsoft and Apple are also rivals in that arena, but curiously the 360 does have some iPod interoperability (for non-DRMed music files, anyway).

I'd like to see the PS3 add this as well, although they are continuing to make strides as a media center with Divx and WMV playback in the newest firmware.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkstr8t /forum/post/12579144

I'm told by a Sony contact (not in the Playstation group) that it's likely the current hardware design doesn't support bitstream output.

Just to follow up, are they working on decoding the DTS HD-MA track in the PS3 and passing it out via LPCM?

·
Registered
273 Posts
To HD DVD insiders:

I was wondering if it would be possible to create HD DVD discs that would let consumers that try to play them in regular DVD players, know that this disc is actually intended for a different type of player?

Having the player just refuse to play the disc isn't particularly user friendly, so I was thinking of something like displaying an image that says "We're sorry, but you need an HD DVD-player to watch this disc". (Or, in the case of combo discs, the image could say "please flip me over to play")

Would something like this require a twin-disc with a full DVD-layer? Or could it be possible to create a layer that is a DVD at the innermost tracks, and an HD DVD on the outermost? BTW: Does HD DVD use RSDL like DVD? If so, I was thinking that this could be done by letting the player think it's a regular twin disc at first. It would then start reading the HD DVD content from layer two, and read it from the center to the rim. When it reaches the rim, it could switch back to layer one and read from the rim towards the center.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakesh.S /forum/post/12579930

Just to follow up, are they working on decoding the DTS HD-MA track in the PS3 and passing it out via LPCM?

I wouldn't be surprised to see it in an upcoming firmware update.

·
Registered
12,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover /forum/post/12576614

i appreciate your attempt to explain my earlier question, however, i do not see that paper as stating there is a separate 2-ch downmix already on disc thereby not requiring decoding of the multi-channel presentation.

roger dressler, could you please clarify...

TIA

Sorry the paper is a little unclear, but the section on DD+ has Fig 1 which shows how TrueHD carries the substreams, one of them being the 2-ch mix.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Amir and all your colleges and all the Blu-ray people, the very best this Holiday Season and to all your families.

This past year has proved that this is the most Pointless Format War ever...! I am RED. At the beginning I loved the White Paper of Blu-ray. Then Bill Gates said " For $199 start watching High Def Movies now", and that was a year ago November. But now no one wants to see the investment they made in one format dissolve.

And I think all of us can cry foul about that.

jack

As for 2008...Bette Davis said it best: "Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night"!

·
Registered
329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trondmm /forum/post/12580580

To HD DVD insiders:

I was wondering if it would be possible to create HD DVD discs that would let consumers that try to play them in regular DVD players, know that this disc is actually intended for a different type of player?

Having the player just refuse to play the disc isn't particularly user friendly, so I was thinking of something like displaying an image that says "We're sorry, but you need an HD DVD-player to watch this disc". (Or, in the case of combo discs, the image could say "please flip me over to play")

Would something like this require a twin-disc with a full DVD-layer? Or could it be possible to create a layer that is a DVD at the innermost tracks, and an HD DVD on the outermost? BTW: Does HD DVD use RSDL like DVD? If so, I was thinking that this could be done by letting the player think it's a regular twin disc at first. It would then start reading the HD DVD content from layer two, and read it from the center to the rim. When it reaches the rim, it could switch back to layer one and read from the rim towards the center.

If I understand you correctly this can be done today, at a "waste" of 9G of a DVD layer. Take a one-sided Combo disc (e.g. Freedom) with the DVD layer saying just "turn me over". Reminds me of the other side of the last disc in some laserdisc sets, it had a cute little icon that said the same thing.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Merry Christmas to both the Red and Blu insiders on this forum. Don't either of the camps go away. Your information is always helpful.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler /forum/post/12581108

Sorry the paper is a little unclear, but the section on DD+ has Fig 1 which shows how TrueHD carries the substreams, one of them being the 2-ch mix.

thanks roger...so on hd dvd, there is no standard dd core that can be decoded by a standard dd decoder?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by romper /forum/post/12581426

Amir and all your colleges and all the Blu-ray people, the very best this Holiday Season and to all your families.

As for 2008...Bette Davis said it best: "Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night"!

I second what Jack said here.

Thanks amir!! and here wishing you and your family and all other insiders a happy holiday & a prosperous New Year.

I've learned much from reading your posts in this thread.

·
Registered
12,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover /forum/post/12581605

thanks roger...so on hd dvd, there is no standard dd core that can be decoded by a standard dd decoder?

If the HD DVD has DD+, the DD+ decoder can convert it on the fly to DD, unless the audio has first been decoded. So the result in this case is the same as if the disc carried a DD stream.

·
Registered
516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler /forum/post/12582451

If the HD DVD has DD+, the DD+ decoder can convert it on the fly to DD, unless the audio has first been decoded. So the result in this case is the same as if the disc carried a DD stream.

Can you have a HD DVD with only a TrueHD track and no DD or DD+ track? Would this then have a hidden DD track in the TrueHD just like Blu-Ray has?

Brian

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Pennell /forum/post/12581459

If I understand you correctly this can be done today, at a "waste" of 9G of a DVD layer. Take a one-sided Combo disc (e.g. Freedom) with the DVD layer saying just "turn me over". Reminds me of the other side of the last disc in some laserdisc sets, it had a cute little icon that said the same thing.

The upside down turtle!

Long live Videoscope!

Happy Holidays to ALL the Insiders.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Happy New Year to ALL Insider's and Forum Members Alike! I wish you all a Safe, Wonderful, and Happy Season!

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
REMINDER

Insiders please stick to questions and answers related to your association only.

I cannot keep repeating this.

Thread cleaned up.

Thank you!

·
Banned
761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkstr8t /forum/post/12579144

I'm told by a Sony contact (not in the Playstation group) that it's likely the current hardware design doesn't support bitstream output.

Talk thanks for clarifying this from Sony's end. A Silicon Images engineer that has working knowledge of the chipset used in the PS3 has already confirmed that SiL9132 HDMI transmitter does not support bitstream of TrueHD or DTS HD MA--it is a hardware limitation. This confirmation from Sony, as well as confirmation that even the newest 40GB players are still using the SiL9132 pretty much makes it crystal clear, the only thing we can hope for is DTS HD MA decoding on the PS3 correct?

3061 - 3080 of 4687 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.